Long distance? ish

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Layering is great as long as you got a riding jacket/layer that stops the wind and rain on top of everything. Cotton is good for beneath the first layers but if it gets wet it's a nighmare.

The first parts of me that get really cold are the hands and my toes. Those are the difficult parts. Use heated grips/winter gloves/muffs/handguards or any combination. All 4 would be the ideal :D

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
The reason to dress in layers is not just to add thickness. Otherwise everyone would just wear one giant coat. You dress in layers for two reasons 1) to create air spaces between layers to trap warmth (sorta like a wet suit) 2) to make it more difficult for your body heat to escape (think different layers of a prison.. cell bars, walls, fences)

Different fabrics due different things better than others so it can make a difference but I wouldn't be to concerned. Just add your windblocking layer as the last or second to last layer and make sure the first few layers are comfortable and have some level of breathability. If you add it first you will trap too much body heat and dehydrate.

If you get cold just standing outside then you need more layers. If you get cold while riding at 30 mph then you prob want to add another layer. If you get cold at 60mph then you prob have a problem with wind blocking or air is sneaking in at one of your seams (ankle, wrist, neck, etc).

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode from Florida to new York (1500 miles) in 2 days, i stretched out on the bike with different riding position, normal position, legs behind me (like superman position), feet on passenger pegs, what ever makes you comfortable. The one thing that i had was a tank bag. It held my rain gear (jacket and pants), a change of clothes (under shirt, sweat shirt, under ware, 3 pairs socks and a towel. I also had a CAMEL PACK (it hold up to half a gallon of fluids (hot or cold). Just be safe, aware, and know where rest stations to stretch out.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i gotta ask.. does your dad or brother know how to drive a bike??? because you may just get to a point like 5 or 6 hours in where you'll just not want to do this any more and at that point, things tend to get a bit scary on a bike. i would just want to make sure you can either put the bike on the van or someone else can drive it in case you just dont "feel" like doing it anymore. wouldnt want to just have to ditch the bike somewhere.

or just plan on leaving it somewhere like 2 hours away. then you could always just get a ride back there at a different point so you wouldnt have to drive it so far anyways. Bring a few thick ass bike locks and some other locking gear and chain it up some where safe.

Gopher

Potential Fireball
Reaction score
www.jamerspad.com
The contingency plan is to shove the bike in the back of the van yes, but I'd rather not do that because that would mean three grown men in the cab, on seats that were'nt really designed for three... I've done the M4 enough times as cage passenger to know exactly where the speed camera's are (and what type!), so I know where I can push the speed up a touch to shorten journey time... I got 2 hours worth of breaks planned!!!

I think I'm pretty much set now, I pick up my bike t'mo (been having it serviced and a few things fitted) so have time for a last min ride to say bye to the few people I actually liked around here. I got all the bits n bobs I need, got my drugs ready, routes planned, know what I'm wearing..... all I gotta sort now is the last of the packing & cleaning and I'll be ready to move out!

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck. Tell us about the trip afterwards if you don't mind.

Gopher

Potential Fireball
Reaction score
www.jamerspad.com
Just thought I'd pop by and say Happy new Year to all.

In the end, the bike went in the back of the moving van thanks to extreme cold weather on the day.... But thanks to my parents gift of Oxford Hotgrips, I've racked up plenty of miles in ice cold conditions and am loving every second of it. All the advice you guys gave has been valuable during my little trips... 300 mile in less than a week... ;-)

Anyways... got very limited net access atm, so will be popping in every now and again to catch up.

Ciao for now folks! Hope you all had a nice Xmas!

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gopher - thanks for the update. Glad all went well on the trip - even if you did have to stash the bike in the van.

Good luck with your job search!

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gopher....you have officially been demoted to a "Southerner" because if you were a true Yorkshireman the weather wouldn`t have got in your way.

What you going to do if you ever get to Norway?? They are totally nuts and some even ride through the winter.

I am from Hull originally but was also a police officer in Reading. Take some advice and come to Scandanavia because it really is the Dogs B""""""s over here.

Have a good new year mate.

Steve