Lightning storms?

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to ride to work and do not have a car. There are thunderstorms, tornado warnings, and lightning, lasting through the night. I am from the lightning capital of the world; however, I have never before now contemplated riding a motorcycle in a lightning storm. Am I safe? I am sure its not as safe as a car, but will the tires keep me safe? And, what if I am stopped with my feet down?

Yes, my tires are rubber and so are my shoes, but what if a near by object gets struck...? I am soaking wet, sitting on 400lbs of metal with 3 gallons of gasoline under my crotch...

It is the metal frame surrounding you in a car that makes you safe in a car. If you get hit on your bike you are toast. There was a thread on this topic. I will see if I can find it.

Bottom line: DO NOT RIDE IN LIGHTNING

It is the metal frame surrounding you in a car that makes you safe in a car. If you get hit on your bike you are toast. There was a thread on this topic. I will see if I can find it.

Bottom line: DO NOT RIDE IN LIGHTNING

I agree it's not safe but then again motorcycling isn't safe to start off with. Go to the attached link and scroll down to motorcyclist/bicyclist.

NWS Lightning Safety Outdoors

Odds are against it (getting hit), but I try to get inside under lighting. I think even a close hit would be enough to cause a wreck. I have had it hit real close twice and both times my body did involuntary duck and crouch. I dont think that would be good a 75 mph. LOL

Don't tangle with lightning. As an Electrical Engineer I have investigated several incidents of lightning strikes to various objects. Craig 007 is right about the cage. It is referred to as a Faraday cage and its effectiveness has been known for a long time. Cars are cages, bikes aren't.

Your tires are rubber, but they are not perfect electrical insulators. Tires contain carbon which is a conductor. If they are wet with water mixed with road dirt, they will provide a sufficient path to ground for the lightning. That path also includes your body.

If by some miracle you survive, you will pee black for a while because your internal organs will have been burnt. Lightning will melt metal. It is a very powerful phenomenon.

They make rain suits for bikers, but not lightning suits.

That's my opinion.

Back