Light sensor to turn daytime running lights on/off.

SDatl404

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking for the ability to turn my daytime running lights(Headlights and turn signals) off during the day. What would be cool is an automatic light sensor that restores power to the circuit, but ill take a manual switch :) :thumbup:

Does anyone know how to do this or can anyone point me in the right direction?

THIS IS FOR A NON STREET BIKE. So please don't not post about legalities or your opinions on safety. Thanks!

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I know that you can buy the sensors in any gm car for under $50 new, maybe try a junkyard for the sensor used and just play around with it and see what works, and yes it is legal to not have lights on. As long as they are on 30 min before dusk and 30 minafter dawn

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
in nearly every state, if not every state the vehicle laws applying to motorcycles require them to have running lights to improve visability to other motorists... and is against the law to not have the running lights on... so do so at your own risk of being ticketed but i would definately check with your state laws before doing any modifications to your bike that would draw that much attention from the popo...

SDatl404

Reaction score
Visit site
in nearly every state, if not every state the vehicle laws applying to motorcycles require them to have running lights to improve visability to other motorists... and is against the law to not have the running lights on... so do so at your own risk of being ticketed but i would definately check with your state laws before doing any modifications to your bike that would draw that much attention from the popo...

Thank you for the advice on legalities, but I am not concerned with this aspect just accomplishing the task at hand. :thumbup:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
and yes it is legal to not have lights on. As long as they are on 30 min before dusk and 30 minafter dawn

Not sure where you got this info. Near as I can tell, it's not true in GA or FL.

Many, if not most, states require motorcycle headlights (at least on bikes since the '70s) to be on all the time.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure where you got this info. Near as I can tell, it's not true in GA or FL.

Many, if not most, states require motorcycle headlights (at least on bikes since the '70s) to be on all the time.

That information is taken straight from the georgias driver manual although the law might differ from state to.state

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Regardless of the law, I'm not sure why one would want to further 'reduce' their visibility to other motorists. :confused:

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
From what I can find, it would seem that turning off your headlight on a motorcycle is against Florida State law.

The 2007 Florida Statutes
Title XXIII MOTOR VEHICLES
Chapter 316 STATE UNIFORM TRAFFIC CONTROL

316.405 Motorcycle headlights to be turned on.--
(1) Any person who operates a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle on the public streets or highways
shall, while so engaged, have the headlight or headlights of such motorcycle or motor-driven cycle
turned on. Failure to comply with this section during the hours from sunrise to sunset, unless
compliance is otherwise required by law, shall not be admissible as evidence of negligence in a civil
action. During the hours of operation between sunrise and sunset, the headlights may modulate either
the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lower intensity, in accordance with
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 571.108.
(2) Failure to comply with the provisions of this section shall not be deemed negligence per se in any
civil action, but the violation of this section may be considered on the issue of negligence if the violation
of this section is a proximate cause of a crash.
(3) A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a moving violation as
provided in chapter 318.

...just saying.

Last edited:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
So next question is this a street bike or track bike

SDatl404

Reaction score
Visit site
So next question is this a street bike or track bike

I have two FZ6's one I drive on the street and one I just bought for modding, shows, and the track. When I take the bike off the trailer or maneuver it around it looks really weird with one headlight and orange running lights in the day. Not very impressive. I still want this functionality minus the one headlight for the disk/night situations, but I won't be driving this bike on the bike street at all.

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
why not just unhook the lights completely then both headlights and running markers if you arent planning on ever riding the bike on the open road you shouldnt need them track you tape them up anyways and you will be trailering to any shows or meets... or just wire in an inline power on/off to the stock wiring with a fuse... both of these options would be mucho less expensive then the light sensitive route... however if you are dead set on it just take a light sensitive switch and detector from any automobile and it should work after some heavy modding to the electricals... hyundai/gm/ and several others use these and can be found on ebay...

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site

True as it may be, you have to remember probably 90% of aftermarket exhausts are also considered illegal :rolleyes:
That being said i'd prefer to have my lights on all the time anyways

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can be done but what about false triggering? It might be a fun project but as others have said not including the legal aspect or what religion you are. There is the concept of science that says visibility is a good thing unless of course you're shooting to be stealth.

You can go cheap and easy with one of these!:D
KnifeSwitch.jpg

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
A light sensor is just a switch, when it senses light it deactivates a transistor which opens the circuit, or vice versa.

Without looking at the circuit diagram, a quick and dirty would be to connect it in series with the headlight power and blinker power. This might be the easiest way for you as this bike isn't street ridden so if it messes up for whatever reason you're not stranded in BFE.

If you can find the part you want, I might be able to give some advice. I couldn't find one online, but I didn't look very long either. Good luck!

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
True as it may be, you have to remember probably 90% of aftermarket exhausts are also considered illegal :rolleyes:
That being said i'd prefer to have my lights on all the time anyways

yea but a cop is going to pull a biker over for the lights not being on (if against state law where applicable) 10 times out of 10 over a loud exhaust... but it is a moot point since he is not planning to ride on the street...:thumbup:

^^^

and that is a good idea to try out first

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I think he is just wanting this for a show bike so throw the legal aspect out

SDatl404

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been looking for a while and the best setup would be a dual switch setup. One is a manual switch and one an auto light sensitive switch.

Steps:
  • Find the wiring I need to tap into.
  • Gather all the parts. Sensor, wiring, and switch.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with anything? I am trying to get a hold of the guy on the other forum who created a sensor. :D