Votes: 91 54.2%
  • Did something else

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen a few people who buy bikes before they have their license which gave me the idea for this pole. When I was first starting out I didn't see any point in buying a bike before I could legally ride it. I also didn't see any point in getting my license if I didn't have a bike. I ended up taking the MSF course and bought my bike while I had a permit and was waiting for the MSF completion card to arrive in the mail.

How did you do it? License first or bike first?

YamahaMAXdRPMs

Jay- Tshirt Inventor Guy.
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i got my license first.. wanted to see if i was really into it before i dropped that many bills... I mean in all honesty... no matter how badly i wanted to ride... if i sucked at it in a parking lot ... im not gonna ride on the road

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
I had ridden bikes before, but never had a license because I never had a bike.

Bought my FZ6, and took the test 2 weeks later. Quick and easy.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got my license back in the ol' days.
I lived in a small country town, got myself an old Yamaha DT175 dirt bike, then rode down to the local police station and did the written test, and then rode my bike home from the there. Was classed as a "learner", and once comfortable with riding, rode down to the station again, and did a practical test (rode around with the cop following me, then he gave a blast on the sirens to signal when to return to the station), said I had passed and I was then fully licensed.

As I went to leave, I asked if he had anything else on that day, he said no, so I rode home, jumped in the car and drove that down there, and got my car license as well :thumbup:

:)

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I got my permit first because to get your license under 21, you have to take the MSF ridercourse, and the soonest class was a month after I bought my bike.

BrianDubbs

Reaction score
Visit site
I definitely went out os sequence! but was never caught!

I couldnt wait when i bought my first bike!

Luckily the FZ came to me in a time when i already had the liscense

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Permit --> Bike --> License

I got the bike and didn't know how to even ride a bike.. taught myself on it.

Same here. First day by myself on a motorcycle was the first day I bought my bike. I rode it for 3 hours around my neighborhood learning all the basics. I think 4 people called the cops :Flip:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Whats the point in having a motorcycle license if you don't nave a bike.
Got a bike, worried about the license later.

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
I had several dirt bikes before I ever got my motorcycle license. I borrowed my buddies 380 Suzuki to get my license - I think I was 18 then...

Ashbone

Reaction score
Visit site
I pretty well always had a bike even though I was to young to ride it legally on the road, but buy the time it came to taking my test it was a breeze, then I bought a road bike, look out world!!:Flip::Flip:
The license is just a rotten formality we have to go through as riders, once you have had your first bike at whatever age you will soon know if you want to go on with riding, or not bothering to take your test and stick with a cage.
I had my cage licence before my bike one as the bike test was originally going to be just for backup but I took it anyway and passed, really glad I did as I just love riding. :rockon::rockon:

dave1295

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Whats the point in having a motorcycle license if you don't nave a bike.
Got a bike, worried about the license later.

I agree, that's the way I did it. Bought my bike and later found out that Basic Rider Training class / DMV tests were booked for three months. So I just went riding. Got my endorsement after taking the BRT class, best money, besides the bike, I ever spent.

genesis

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my license first. I knew I wanted to ride but I didn't know what bike I wanted. So I signed up and took the MSF class while I was looking around. Picked up my FZ about a month after my class.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a tough one. Personally I had a small scooter first which didn't require a license. I got my license and then moved up. Quite a few places here offer training towards a license on bikes provided by a course. If you pass, then you can get a bike risk free. I'd hate to see someone rush out and buy a bike having little experience and not really knowing what they would be comfortable with - lots of bad stories start that way. If at all possible I would say license first, and then start with a smaller bike and work up.

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My dad bought me a Suzuki AC50 in 1978 and I got my learner's licence a couple of weeks later. I got my "big bike" licence in April 1980 and bought a Honda CB400N the next day. These days you can't get finance without a licence so I guess it has to come first unless you buy the bike cash.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had my Suzuki Intruder 800 over a year before I took my test.
For those who do not know the reason why you would buy a bike before your test I will tell you. If you are buying a new or quite new bike it is pretty simple to find a decent example of what you are looking for.

On the other hand if you are looking for a good example of an older bike then you have to be lucky to find one and when you find one you would be stupid to let it go in the hope that another good one will come along. I live in Denmark and in my case I found the bike I wanted in Berlin, Germany .

The other reason I bought it before I passed the test was that I told myself so many times that I would do the course and take the test but never got round to it. If the bike is bought and waiting to be ridden it gives you a bit more incentive to get out and do it.

fizz_off

Reaction score
Visit site
Permit --> Bike --> License

I got the bike and didn't know how to even ride a bike.. taught myself on it.

Ditto on the order. Only diff being, I had some bike miles from back between 78-79 when I was stationed at Pendleton and had a Suzi 250 Enduro. Had some interesting times out in them thar hills "back yonder"...on base - dohhh :spank: :spank: :spank: :D...seemed like such a waste to let all that sun and open land filled with dirt and hills go to waste on the weekends, especially when there was no one out there (shooting); I've smartened up a wee bit since then, I HOPE, :eek: ...but then again...

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
Bike Theory Test --> 1 day Compulsory Basic Training (Scooter) --> 4 months Honda cbr125 --> 3 full days Direct Access Training to get >=500CC license (Suzuki bandit 500cc)--> Bike Practical Test --> 182mile to get my naked black beauty FZ6n

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
When I took the MSF there was a chick in the class that had never ridden a bike before in her life. A couple days before the class she went out and bought a brand new HD and all the accouterments that go along ($$$). It was sitting in her garage waiting for her to finish the class and get her permit. On the first exercise of the class, where you straddle the bike and walk it across the parking lot slipping the clutch, she dropped the bike (MSF bike, not the harley). And that was all it took....she burst into tears, declared she was never going to ride again and walked off. That story is why I recommend the MSF class to everyone who tells me they are thinking about getting a bike.