Learned my lesson about not checking weather...

jstoof

Reaction score
Visit site
Went out riding yesterday to park city and on the way back the weather turned bad real fast. It was grey clouds most of the day with a few light sprinkles but on the way back through parleys canyon it began to downpour with the largest balls of hail i have seen in my short lifetime luckily i was able to pull into a park and under a cover but it put a few scratches in my helmet and did much worse to other unfortunate drivers. If i hadnt been near that park i probably wouldnt have made it home in one piece
ksl.com - Spring storm thrashes northern Utah, endangers drivers

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
I got caught yesterday too. No rain gear in the tail bag. Bad Jack! :spank: It was a 20% chance of a T-storm but it was blue sky and warm when I headed out the driveway. 50 miles away it turned out that the T-storm was really a cold, pelting rain that blanketed the entire area. Damn. Got home soaked and half frozen. No hail though. I guess I was lucky!

jstoof

Reaction score
Visit site
I got caught yesterday too. No rain gear in the tail bag. Bad Jack! :spank: It was a 20% chance of a T-storm but it was blue sky and warm when I headed out the driveway. 50 miles away it turned out that the T-storm was really a cold, pelting rain that blanketed the entire area. Damn. Got home soaked and half frozen. No hail though. I guess I was lucky!

Ya rain riding without the proper gear is no fun but ya that link shows you the damage it had done to some cars it was denting cars and blowing out windshields i can only imagine what would happen if it would have broke my face shield

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Whew, you were very fortunate to find some cover!! I saw the photo of that lady with the welts on her back, and she was in a car!! :eek:

jstoof

Reaction score
Visit site
Whew, you were very fortunate to find some cover!! I saw the photo of that lady with the welts on her back, and she was in a car!! :eek:

Ya i was wearing a leather jacket but just levis so my legs took a beating and looking like i got pelted with a paintball gun

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
OUCH!! I bet with the windshields breaking, your visor would not have stood a chance.
Post some pics of your helmet, eh?

jstoof

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried taking some pics but the glare hides the scratches, but ya im glad my faceshield didnt take to much of a beating

Skrapiron

Mr. Know-It-All
Reaction score
Visit site
I learned the same hard lesson two years ago. 450 miles across the Pa Turnpike in a downpour with no rain gear and a half helmet.....

I'm much smarter now. I keep a rain suit in the saddle bag at all times, along with a second pair of waterproof gauntlets....

Going to get a chance to put them to use on Sunday too... 466 mile ride from Pittsburgh to Cleveland, then down along the Erie Canal to Marietta and home.. The national weather service is predicting a 60% chance of showers and thunderstorms.... Whee!!!!