Las Vegas Police Rear Ends Motorcyclist

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uvyYzjaiyE]Random Riders - Cop Rear Ends Motorcycle - YouTube[/ame]

I know we are not supposed to bash police as per the rules, but I just think this is worth the awareness.

This LVPD officer rear ends a motorcyclist. The cop was Following Too Closely
NRS 484B.127  Following too closely.
1.  The driver of a vehicle shall not follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of such vehicles and the traffic upon and the condition of the highway.

He intimidates the rider. If you know anybody on the LVPD this guy should get fired.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Wouldn't call it police bashing if the LEO is an idiot. He obviously realizes he was the one in the wrong but doesn't want to be disciplined for it... Since when is it taught in defensive driving courses that "you stay up in traffic" you don't give people room?

Last i checked you are taught to keep enough distance between you and the vehicle in front of you to stop in an emergency, which the LEO failed to do.

Good vid to keep people aware. Just because the car behind you is a LEO doesn't mean you shouldn't be wary of poor driving from them.

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
yeah it looked like the biker saw the traffic stopping and decided to stop before coming up to the car. Just to give himself more room.

LEO was also probably trying to get behind the biker to run his plate and maybe was looking at his computer when the biker stopped.

And what was with the LEO saying he was going too fast that he couldn't stop...they weren't going more than 15-20....

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like the biker was just leaving a gap so the white car, with the right turn signal flashing, could cut in.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I met a guy last night who lived in Vegas for the last few years. He said the LV Metro PD is very political and there are mostly good guys but "a lot of power tripping" guys like this cop.

I think these guys should be forced to leave the PD without any benefits if they get caught up intimidating people. Some of the LEO retirement programs are pretty amazing and the should only be allowed for the good cops.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Why the hell was the motorcyclist keeping to the white line?

Are you quoting the cop or asking a question?

I keep to the furthest point in the lane away from a merging car. Two reasons in this situation. 1) it will give more time to react. 2) that angle increases a chance for the car to his left that wants to merge to be able to see him in their side view mirror if set up correctly.

Also, I just noticed this time that the car started to come over and stabbed his brakes and stayed in his lane, this is when the bike hit his brakes.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site

I keep to the furthest point in the lane away from a merging car. Two reasons in this situation. 1) it will give more time to react. 2) that angle increases a chance for the car to his left that wants to merge to be able to see him in their side view mirror if set up correctly.

Also, I just noticed this time that the car started to come over and stabbed his brakes and stayed in his lane, this is when the bike hit his brakes.

I am asking a question.

I never do that. I always stay slightly in the center of the lane.

Staying to the closest of the white lane signals to the drivers that you might want to make an emergency stop or get on the shoulder to stop.

If you want to avoid getting hit by the merging driver stay out of the blind spot. I am very conscious of this and almost never had a problem like you are describing.

It's easy to get angry at the cop but try to look at this from his point of view. Driving so close to the white lane make you a very ambiguous rider. The driver behind you doesn't know what you want to do, whether to stay in traffic or get off the lane onto the shoulder/side of the road.

I don't know, maybe that kind of riding is more common out in the west, but here I have never encountered motorcyclists riding like that.

Randomchaos

Flaming Hot Doughnut
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Its actually safer to be on the left hand side or middle of the lane when in the right lane. Less likely for somebody to try and "share" the lane with you. Also makes it easier for traffic to see you, and gives you room to the right in case somebody swerves into your lane. Many people see the extra space if you give it to them as a chance to push in on you. Also, riding on the right hand side of the lane makes you less noticeable to cars behind you, and more difficult to judge closing distance. Stay in the drivers line of sight behind you, and they react quicker, and judge the distance better.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Its actually safer to be on the left hand side or middle of the lane when in the right lane. Less likely for somebody to try and "share" the lane with you. Also makes it easier for traffic to see you, and gives you room to the right in case somebody swerves into your lane. Many people see the extra space if you give it to them as a chance to push in on you. Also, riding on the right hand side of the lane makes you less noticeable to cars behind you, and more difficult to judge closing distance. Stay in the drivers line of sight behind you, and they react quicker, and judge the distance better.

Exactly. I don't know what that guy was doing but putting all the fault on the copper is not right. I as a driver wouldn't stay behind such a motorcyclists long. The second I see a motorcyclists doing some unconventional stuff I GTFO of there. I prefer assertive motorcyclists who take charge and not passive ones like the dude in the video.

You see a car trying to merge to your lane. Either move up to be in his field of vision or stay behind to let him merge. Moving to the side of the lane will only invite ******* drivers who think they can SHARE the lane with you. Very dangerous.

That motorcyclist rider from the video wouldn't last a day riding in NYC. Cabs would kill him.

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
Looked to me like the motorcyclist came to a full stop in the lane to allow the car in the left to merge in front - that's crazy. He should have just slowed but kept rolling. However, in Australia at least, if you rear end a vehicle it is always your fault for following too close. So no excuses for this cop whether the biker did the right thing or the wrong thing, he was too close and wasn't paying attention.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It looks to me, after watching the vision, that the motorcycle rider stopped well early to let the indicating cage merge.

With regards to the copper hitting him, irrespective of whether the rider intended for it to happen or not, you must always follow in a safe manner, with enough gap to stop safely.

If a kid had run out on the road in front of the bike, an emergency stop would have been necessary, so thus, a following cager MUST allow sufficient distance to stop safely.

Regarding the lane position, I agree with the above - do NOT give cagers a reason to lane-share.

I always sit in front of the driver, to increase visibility for those on the road, AND, probably more importantly, it increase your visibility to those joining the road, and/or pedestrians.

The copper knew he was in the wrong, and tried his best to intimidate you. The 'I hope you're taping this' was an obvious attempt to make you think the footage would show he was in the right, so don't even bother etc.

I hope he gets reprimanded, it's jokers like that, that give honest LEOs a bad name.....

Cheers,
Rick

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I am asking a question.

I never do that. I always stay slightly in the center of the lane.

Staying to the closest of the white lane signals to the drivers that you might want to make an emergency stop or get on the shoulder to stop.

If you want to avoid getting hit by the merging driver stay out of the blind spot. I am very conscious of this and almost never had a problem like you are describing.

It's easy to get angry at the cop but try to look at this from his point of view. Driving so close to the white lane make you a very ambiguous rider. The driver behind you doesn't know what you want to do, whether to stay in traffic or get off the lane onto the shoulder/side of the road.

I don't know, maybe that kind of riding is more common out in the west, but here I have never encountered motorcyclists riding like that.

Exactly. I don't know what that guy was doing but putting all the fault on the copper is not right. I as a driver wouldn't stay behind such a motorcyclists long. The second I see a motorcyclists doing some unconventional stuff I GTFO of there. I prefer assertive motorcyclists who take charge and not passive ones like the dude in the video.

You see a car trying to merge to your lane. Either move up to be in his field of vision or stay behind to let him merge. Moving to the side of the lane will only invite ******* drivers who think they can SHARE the lane with you. Very dangerous.

That motorcyclist rider from the video wouldn't last a day riding in NYC. Cabs would kill him.

I actually follow the MSF instructors recommendation of dividing the lane into three portions. I typically will ride in the left or left center of a lane (AZ we have a lot of baked in oil/grease in the center of the road and it gets slick). However, if I see someone indicating a merge from the left into the right lane in front of me I will shift over into the right portion of the lane to give my self the best opportunity for a safe escape route. Also I try to be able to see the driver in their side view mirror, hoping that they can see me as well. More often than not I'll give an engine growl and zip by somebody rather than wait.

Also, I would agree with this guy not being as aggressive as he should be, but after just passing the cop I wouldn't go buzzing along faster either. I normally keep a 100-300 foot lead on anybody and am constantly passing people. But when the police are around I will sacrifice my safety cushion to avoid harassment, I mean unnecessary police attention.

Ultimately this cop was a douche, anytime a cop threatens a ticket, yet doesn't give it, he is full of $hit. I've had a few tickets in my life, and every time the cop has been either really nice or a professional. No threats or intimidation.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually follow the MSF instructors recommendation of dividing the lane into three portions. I typically will ride in the left or left center of a lane (AZ we have a lot of baked in oil/grease in the center of the road and it gets slick). However, if I see someone indicating a merge from the left into the right lane in front of me I will shift over into the right portion of the lane to give my self the best opportunity for a safe escape route. Also I try to be able to see the driver in their side view mirror, hoping that they can see me as well. More often than not I'll give an engine growl and zip by somebody rather than wait.

Also, I would agree with this guy not being as aggressive as he should be, but after just passing the cop I wouldn't go buzzing along faster either. I normally keep a 100-300 foot lead on anybody and am constantly passing people. But when the police are around I will sacrifice my safety cushion to avoid harassment, I mean unnecessary police attention.

Ultimately this cop was a douche, anytime a cop threatens a ticket, yet doesn't give it, he is full of $hit. I've had a few tickets in my life, and every time the cop has been either really nice or a professional. No threats or intimidation.

Yeah I do the same/ slightly off center enough to miss the oil slick in the middle.

I don't switch to the sides of the lane even when somebody's merging. In my opinion that's inviting a douche of a driver to think he can share the lane with me.

I do the same as you. Zip by rather than wait. For me it's important to move through the traffic rather than go with the traffic.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Over here, they recommend you ride in the left or right wheel track of where a car would sit.

This increases visibility, and keeps you out of the oil. (if there is anything on the road, the countless cars that have gone before would have picked it up.)

So far has worked for me!

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
definately not one of my students. A simple honk of the horn would have worked and the rider would never had to adjust his speed or position.

In that scenario I would be riding with my clutch and horn covered from the first place.

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, the officer in that video was easily following too closely and I guess was a bit embarrassed he got caught not paying attention. Not exactly the most constructive reaction from him, but at least he didn't write a "%@&# load" of tickets. Personally, I agree that the guy on the bike did put himself into a precarious & unwise position in not keeping up with traffic, and his lane position. But then that's easy to say from the comfort of my laptop.

Generally, most drivers where I live aren't looking out for bikes (bicycles or motorcycles), so I try to find the best way to keep myself out of blind spots, and present in their mirrors, if that makes any sense. I'm not trying to share any lanes, but at least if some jerk tries, there's enough room to react in the lane. Hopefully the stuff I learned in the MSF course will continue to kick in instinctively. :thumbup:

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
if the leo had been in front and a cager bumped into the back of his car it would have been a ticket, no questions asked. Their is no stipulations in the law about follow distances being based on what you are driving or what somebody else is driving, just that you better leave yourself enough room to stop if they decide to stop. So no matter what other stuff was going on the leo was in the wrong and in violation of a traffic law. What is worse is that there are laws against using intimidation to cover or prevent the lawful reporting of a crime. For instance your boss cannot hang your job over your head to keep you from reporting a crime without facing even more charges. In my opinion, that leo is committing a crime using his position to cover up his involvement in a traffic accident:spank:.