Lanesplitting

blu04

Reaction score
Visit site
So while visiting in California I have seen my fair share of lanesplitting. In many cases I can see splitting your way to the front of the line while traffic is stopped, but watching some of these guys, especially in Beverly Hills, is just insane. Passing between cars driving 30 mph with inches between the bike and cars on each side. I can understand it definately will get you to your destination quicker than sitting in the traffic, but just not sure I would take the risk to do it while moving at speed. Just my thoughts because I have never seen it first hand and it really puts it in perspective when one comes within inches of your car.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
You thought 30 was bad?...must not have been on the freeways, folks out here split at 130

I only choose to 'filter' up to the front at lights but splitting lanes during normal traffic can get pretty hairy

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The majority of splitting I do is in stopped traffic. There are times I do it if traffic is janged up on the freeway but I limit it to 40 MPH. The freeway lanes are wider so you generally have a little more room. You have to pay attention and be hyper vigilant reading the other traffic as well as take responsibility for yourself.:D

blu04

Reaction score
Visit site
Most of the bikes I saw on the freeway were in the carpool lanes or just passing through other lanes. It was mainly in the downtown areas I saw the lanesplitting. I am used to that knid of traffic in a car, but I guess once you get used to it on a bike you sort of learn your way through the lanes. At stoplights I could see for sure making your way up to the front, just to get away from the traffic. Like Motogiro says "you have to take responsibility for yourself", if you feel comfortable doing it then go ahead.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride to and from work every day on good old Rt 95 and I lane split on my way home almost every day. Like Motogiro, I try to limit my speed while splitting to around 40mph and I usually only do it when traffic is stopped or crawling along. Typically if traffic is moving 50mph or faster I will just sit in line like a good boy.

And yea, if you were concerned for poeople splitting at 30mph, you are in for a surprise when you see someone splitting at 40, 50, 60, 70, or faster. I have seen guys splitting at the speeds I typically cruise at and am always amazed they are alive.

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
I lane split everywhere and i enjoy doing it. But you have to be patient, take it slow and gentle, and go round the cars, kind of like if you were walking.
Watch for spaces, cars love to dive into gaps ... but those gaps are your escape route if they don't see you and move over.

Often it's quicker to swerve than brake :thumbup:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a country boy so I only lane split when I have to go to the big city.

I split like Cliff does, it is nerve racking but the being able to move in slow traffic is worth it.

I prefer to stay away from any area where I would need to lane split and just deal with the damn Forest Rats that want to get me.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I got lane split by a car the other day. Apparently he didnt think i was going fast enough on my bike and went right through the middle of me and the car next to me. I swerved out of the way but i was heated!!!!!! i just calmed and went about my day......

I know lots of guys who split going 80mph on the freeway. In that group two have been tagged on the rear wheel and have plates and screws in them. The rest still do it........

Myself, I only split under 40on the freeway and to a light. I dont mind waiting :)

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
only do it in dead stop traffic and once cars start to move I get in lane. Had a lady go around me the other day at a stop sign, hope she got where she was going safe.

Went thru NYC once and lanes are so narrow on 95, seen a kid on R6 split lanes at about 30-40 mph with a pasenger

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
only do it in dead stop traffic and once cars start to move I get in lane. Had a lady go around me the other day at a stop sign, hope she got where she was going safe.

Went thru NYC once and lanes are so narrow on 95, seen a kid on R6 split lanes at about 30-40 mph with a pasenger

Like I said, I split almost every day on 95 and the lanes really arent all that narrow. I always feel like I have plenty of room and never ran into any problems. I feel totally comfortable splitting at 30-40mph and just make sure all my senses are fully alert.

I have also split on 95 with my girl on the back but I do it at much slower speed and only if traffic is at a dead stop. When she is on I will split at like 25 mph.

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
Is Cali the only state in the US where lanesplitting is legal? Do cagers ever get angry when you jump ahead of them at redlights? I've been tempted many times in slow-moving traffic, but I know the cagers around here aren't used to lanesplitting & would probably run over me.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe Cali is the only place in the states where its legal, yes.

Rarely do people get annoyed with me but there are occassions where people for some reason get offended. Right, like me going in between lanes changes your current situation in the least. Its idiotic, but some people are just stupid and will honk, yell, or worst case try to blow your path or pinch you in. Doesnt happen often, but I have run into a few of those mental dejects over the years.