Lake district & Yorkshire Dales, Tips

n0ct0

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're across the North Yorks Moors way a run from:

Stokesley to Helmsley B1257 (good run, beware of nutters on bikes and police)

Helmsley to Kirkbymoorside A170

After Kirkbymoorside take a left at Kirby Mills and head for Hutton-le-Hole

Carry on (watching out for sheep!) and stop off at the Lion Inn, Blakey. This gets very busy on a weekend and in holidays though.

On through Castleton and then head for Danby, Lealholm, Glaisdale, Egton and Grosmont. Heartbeat country, if you're into that kind of thing and a steam railway thrown in for good measure.

It's easy to run down to Scarborough via Whitby from there but you might want to go up to Ravenscar (good view of Robin Hood's Bay) on the way. It's not on the main road but the run to Scarborough from there avoids some of the main road which is full of caravans this time of year.

I lived in Pickering, Whitby (if you go to the 199 steps I used to run the shop at the bottom) and Robin Hood's Bay for years so I could go on and on!

If you wanted to venture further south I had a run out to Spurn Head down near Hull lately. Amazing place, very out of the way though!

All I can add is GPS rules! I used the TomTom One out of my car along with a bracket for a bicycle going round France, Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium this year and ended up in places I would never have got to so easily with just a large scale map. Plus without it I would still be lost somewhere in the Ardennes right now!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're across the North Yorks Moors way a run from:

Stokesley to Helmsley B1257 ...Helmsley to Kirkbymoorside A170
....... head for Hutton-le-Hole
...... stop off at the Lion Inn, Blakey. This gets very busy on a weekend and in holidays though.

On through Castleton and then head for Danby, Lealholm, Glaisdale, Egton and Grosmont. Heartbeat country, ......Scarborough via Whitby ..... Ravenscar ......I lived in Pickering, Whitby ........
All I can add is GPS rules! .......without it I would still be lost somewhere in the Ardennes right now!

Thanks for the tips N0ct0 :thumbup:

thulst

Elite Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Cloggy,

One of the Dutch magazines (motormagazine) has an article about the Yorkshire dales. You probably seen it already;)

Ton

mustnt grumble

Reaction score
Visit site
Just revisited this thread and I am now homesick as hell!

YORKSHIRE! YORKSHIRE! YORKSHIRE!

20070831094602!Yorkshire_rose.png

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Leeds, Leeds, Leeds

View attachment 6669

Sorry just couldn't resist it ;)

I know what you mean, although I wasn't raised in these parts it was always the place I loved visiting. Now my parents have dunroamin I can enjoy the scenary when visiting them :thumbup:

PeetHonda

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your tips about some very nice roads. We had a great holiday in the Lake District, the Dales and Moors. Without your tips we would not have taken the A686 for example.
We loved the scenery in the Lake District: rough like Scotland, but much more green.

Yes I've a Hond CBF, but my girlfriend is still riding her FZS600. I'll think she is going to buy a new bike in 2009. I think that it will be a new FZ6!

Thanks again!

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is my Mums team, hope they stay up this season :thumbup:

View attachment 6697

And here's one for JONAC , seeing as he is defending Great Britains rights to drill for oil in antartica when the ice caps melt ;)

View attachment 6698

Thanks for the Tigers Cloggy. We play West Ham in Hull on Sunday. If we beat them that will be Hull 3 - London 0 (Arsenal, Spurs, west Ham)

The next game is Chelsea which would be Hull 4 - London 0 which was a big Housemartins hit album.

The Housemartins obviously coming from Hull.

Any fotos from the trip just to make me home sick ????

Steve

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your tips about some very nice roads. We had a great holiday in the Lake District, the Dales and Moors. Without your tips we would not have taken the A686 for example.
We loved the scenery in the Lake District: rough like Scotland, but much more green.

Yes I've a Honda CBF, but my girlfriend is still riding her FZS600. I'll think she is going to buy a new bike in 2009. I think that it will be a new FZ6!

Thanks again!

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourselves, and that you could use the info given by our forum members :thumbup:
It doesn't matter which bike you ride, it's that you ride that counts :rockon:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the Tigers Cloggy. We play West Ham in Hull on Sunday. If we beat them that will be Hull 3 - London 0 (Arsenal, Spurs, west Ham)

The next game is Chelsea which would be Hull 4 - London 0 which was a big Housemartins hit album.

Steve

:cheer:......It's Happy hour again........ :cheer:

Well Hull are doing really well at the moment Steve, not just getting the results but showing us some real quality play :thumbup:

outkast

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride these roads alot,Try Richmond- Hawes A684 thenon to Kirkby Lonsdale on the B6255 from there onto Sedbrough A683 upto Brough A683- A685 then B6276 to Middleton in Teesdale from there B6277 to Alston then A686 to Penrith you can then eithe head down the M6 or A66 to A592 to windermere.
These are great bike roads, twisty, great views etc . There are some good biker cafes at Hawes- KL ( Devils Bridge), Hartside with a great twisty drop down the hill (see link)
This will take most of the day and is about 250 miles. Beware tight turns-sheep etc and surface changes, but these twisty roads are great!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gajI2GKzzE"]YouTube - Hartside[/ame]

HAVE A GOOD DAY

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride these roads alot,Try Richmond- Hawes A684 thenon to Kirkby Lonsdale on the B6255 from there onto Sedbrough A683 upto Brough A683- A685 then B6276 to Middleton in Teesdale from there B6277 to Alston then A686 to Penrith you can then eithe head down the M6 or A66 to A592 to windermere.
These are great bike roads, twisty, great views etc . There are some good biker cafes at Hawes- KL ( Devils Bridge), Hartside with a great twisty drop down the hill (see link)
This will take most of the day and is about 250 miles. Beware tight turns-sheep etc and surface changes, but these twisty roads are great!!!
HAVE A GOOD DAY

Looks like a great route to ride :thumbup: It's a bit late for Myrna and Peter but it's great info if any of the forum members want to ride around those parts :thumbup:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Any fotos from the trip just to make me home sick ????

Steve

Another cracking result Hull :thumbup: , I think Chelsea might be another matter though.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great pics, loved the "harry Potter" railway (settle - Carlisle) bridge. That Ford looked pretty tricky, and the sheep on the roads so typical of the smaller roads up in Yorkshire and Cumbria.

Cheers Martin

PeetHonda

Reaction score
Visit site
Great pics, loved the \\"harry Potter\\" railway (settle - Carlisle) bridge. That Ford looked pretty tricky, and the sheep on the roads so typical of the smaller roads up in Yorkshire and Cumbria.

Cheers Martin

The Ford on the first picture WAS very tricky. Just ask Myrna, LOL. It cost her her righthand mirror and the exhaust was a bit dented :D. Yes afterwards we could laugh about it. She looked very funny lying in the water.......
The second was oke, but she was to afraid to cross it. So we went back. At least, now I know what Ford means ;).
The bike has been repaired.

If anyone is intrested I can post the gbd or track files of our holliday.