Koso RX1N install write up/install

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On request by Boneman, I am writing up guide on the KOSO RX1N since I really havent seen any official ones. Not that mine will be official either lol.

Brad, I'm sorry plz don't edit your post....

Now to the fun stuff.:noworries:

Note, this chart I created is based my 2004 fz6 from my schematic.

Step one Mount it!
As we all know by now that my bike is a streetfighter/naked and most people have been mounting there KOSO RX1N into the triple tree. I however took on a different approach. I used these brackets from amazon [ame=http://www.amazon.com/7-HANDLEBARS-CLAMP-KIT-Slipstreamer/dp/B000WK8G2C/]Amazon.com: Slipstreamer 7/8" Bar Clamp Kit S-7/8-C: Automotive[/ame] and the mounting hardware that the RX1N came with to mount the gauge. The only reason why I had these mounts was because this is what I used to mount my stock speedometer to my handlebars. I used the brackets from amazon to mount the the handlebars and the mount from the RX1N to mount to the RX1N. Images below might help make sense of things, I am not really good at doing write ups.

The Image with the RED poorly drawn circles are the amazon mounts.
IMG_1177-1.jpg

This image with the BLUE single sad oval, is the RX1N mount. I would also like to note that everything you see within the blue scary oval is the only mounting hardware I used. Everything else is in a box preparing to collect dust.
2-1.jpg

I used these 2 mounts together and this was the result.
IMG_1182.jpg

STEP 1+1=?

Ok the wiring is what most people dread. This does take basic soldering skills. I did not use the crimps they supplied. I really dont have any pics of this because I already taped wrapped it. But this is the setup.

I cut the tip off the broken stock speedometer and used it for a connector.

Use this diagram to connect the wires. Note! My Koso is the one with the WHITE light, not the blue.

This is a reworked version of the old diagram the other user made on this forum. This is how I hooked up mine. Also I would like to state that Wavex helped me with the RPM hook up from another forum/post.
wiringq.jpg

here is another diagram by Koso.
1-1.jpg

1a65fa48.jpg

Also quoted by Wavex, you need to " set the # of pistons and cycles of your engine in the speedo setting screen... then finally, there's another setting that needs to be changed to "Hi Act." from "Lo Act." in the speedo... else the tach doesn`t work..." You will learn how to do this when and if you buy this device, its easy and its in the manual.

Well I think this is a pretty good start, The speed sensor is pretty self explanatory, just make sure the directions are followed in the guide.

Last edited:

Brad

Senpai
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll edit the post in a bit but I am fairly confident I posted directly under/above it that you need to double check the koso column with the included orange/whatever color sheet.

That image is for the RX-2(Which the original poster had), you were only suppose to use the FZ6 column to match the wires with your orange sheet for the RX-1N . Other then that your post is a good one for RX-1N'ers to go to that's for sure. The speedo all around is pretty nice

I've done it before and its a bitch to deal with man you can't skip any of the writing or you have deal with stuff like that happening during install.

Last edited:

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll edit the post in a bit but I am fairly confident I posted directly under/above it that you need to double check the koso column with the included orange/whatever color sheet.

That image is for the RX-2(Which the original poster had), you were only suppose to use the FZ6 column to match the wires with your orange sheet for the RX-1N . Other then that your post is a good one for RX-1N'ers to go to that's for sure. The speedo all around is pretty nice

I've done it before and its a bitch to deal with man you can't skip any of the writing or you have deal with stuff like that happening during install.

Ouch, dude I am really sorry. Leave yours the way it is and I will redit mine. I must of read it wrong... Really sorry.

Brad

Senpai
Reaction score
Visit site
Ouch, dude I am really sorry. Leave yours the way it is and I will redit mine. I must of read it wrong... Really sorry.

Don't worry my man I'm thankful for people like you that help out around here and have a sweet ass looking bike ;) . To be honest I should of included model numbers in my original post way back as its a easy mix up.

Don't get me wrong your doing excellent write up here just giving my 2 cents.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Great Stuff!! Thank you Geoff and Brad! HAving a resource like this is gold! :thumbup:

I think I'll maybe move this to the "How To" section tomorrow.

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great Stuff!! Thank you Geoff and Brad! HAving a resource like this is gold! :thumbup:

I think I'll maybe move this to the "How To" section tomorrow.

yeah I wasn't sure where I should of posted this, seemed like it was technical. Thanks boneman

bigolkep

Reaction score
Visit site
I can just keep the stock speedo right? I dont have to replace it if I replace the headlight assembly, right?

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you manage to get everything working - fuel level indication, check engine light temps etc?

Did you mount the speed sensor on the front wheel? I assume my speedohealer would be rendered useless by this koso cluster?

I'm beginning to hate my 04-06 tach which I can't really see and having the RPMs in LCD doesn't help either. The shift light is super nice as well. I might just bite the bullet on this, provided everything mentioned above works.

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you manage to get everything working - fuel level indication, check engine light temps etc?

Did you mount the speed sensor on the front wheel? I assume my speedohealer would be rendered useless by this koso cluster?

I'm beginning to hate my 04-06 tach which I can't really see and having the RPMs in LCD doesn't help either. The shift light is super nice as well. I might just bite the bullet on this, provided everything mentioned above works.

Only thing I could not get working was the fuel level indicator.

Speed healer is useless if you are using the koso because it used a wheel sensor. I put mine in the back wheel. I only bought one because my original broke. However, in one way it can hurt the value of your bike due to the millage reading.

The accuracy of the speed was nice though.