Key Clyinder Removal

SirPorl

Reaction score
Visit site
So I managed to lose my only key to my fz6, funny part was this was when I actually took it to make a copy. I am struggling to find someone to come make a key for it.

I don't have the key code cause it was purchased used and I have and originaly came from someplace else.

I was told by a locksmith that there is a code on the ignition cylinder that can be used to make a key.

Question is how do I remove that to get access to the code?

Sirporl

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just take the vin to the dealer and they will be able to cut you a new key.. very simple and easy.. if they dont happen to have a key cutter there, they can order you a new key.. shouldnt be more that like $20-$30.. sucks, but that or you have to replace the whole ignition lock as well as the lock for the underseat access... good luck...

SirPorl

Reaction score
Visit site
Can they cut keys from the VIN?? I thought you had to have that stupid key code thingie. I will call a dealor and approach that. Thanks for the tips and keep them coming.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just got off the phone with yamaha - if you dont have the key then they need to get the number from the lock core (ignition lock). No dealer can cut locks from the vin, nor can you order keys based on the vin. if you dont have the original owners manual (they said they tell dealers to write down the number in the owners manual) then your more than likely going to have to have the dealer replace the whole lock core.

summery: take it to the dealer or replace the ignition lock.. did you by chance call the person who owned the bike before you.. do they have an extra key?? good luck...

SirPorl

Reaction score
Visit site
Biting the bullet and paying a locksmith to come out. Should be fixed tomorrow. Thanks for suggestions eh

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
that was my other option.. hope it works out.. otherwise you need to take out the entire part that the key goes into and either replace or rekey it.. good luck

SirPorl

Reaction score
Visit site
Locksmith showed up, was able to make keys. Fizzer is back in action and I have copies now.

Pricey lesson but sometimes I have to learn it the hard way.

Thanks for the suggestions all