Kawasaki ZX6RR - PCIII - great deal!

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
So I have been worried about the health of my 2004 Kawasaki ZX6RR since I got it. Bought it last November and storied it pretty much right away after a handful of rides. It didn't seem to perform as nicely as my (crashed) FZ6.

The bike came with an expensive full Micron exhaust. Great right? Not really. Figured out the bike is running lean because of it and that I needed a PCIII. At around $350 to get one it seemed like something I wouldn't be able to afford to get on my very tight budget. It looked like the previous owner had a PCIII installed that was removed before he sold it to the bike shop.

I search on ebay for things for my bike and to see if anyone is selling a full bike and what they are looking for these days. On the most recent search a few days ago for fun (and to look at the cheap knock off Pazzo levers) and found brand new PCIII for only $170 for my bike! Due to the fact it had been sitting on a shelf for years - since only 2000 of my year and make were made. That made it a hard to sell item for them, lucky for me!

So what can I expect after installing the PCIII? Any tips or tricks? I'm on a budget so going to get it tuned by the shop won't be possible. Seems like the map I can load will be close to what I currently have - stock filter, full exhaust, no cam changes. Will it be close enough to perfect without visiting the shop? Anyone with PCIII experience any tips would be great!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
A Kawi/ZX6R forum would be a better place to ask imo... They'll give you specific advise for your bike and I wouldn't be surprised if someone pops up with the same bike as you, a full exhaust and a PCIII dyno tuned map ready for upload... it won't be perfect without a dyno, but it should get you close enough.

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Will check out a Ninja forum and see if anyone has maps. That's a great idea - since someone might have already paid to have a map made that would work for me!

I'm hoping it is pretty straight forward to install and deal with. Doesn't seem to bad from the directions.

It will be nice to not have it running lean, just want to keep the bike healthy and happy.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Be careful though...

633513756689698317-Ninjas.jpg

PowellB

Reaction score
Visit site
Tuning specifically for your bike would be ideal, but kawiforums has a lot of maps floating around. Just search for one from an RR with similar mods (basically stock with pipes). I would try my best to make sure the source is someone who knows what they are doing. There's a few guys who have half the board running their maps, lol.

I have a '05 ZX-6RR, that pulled 117 rear-wheel HP with the stock exhaust and cat, tuned via PC3 at a shop by the previous owner. Still need to go back and get it re-tuned now that it has a full exhaust.

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Tuning specifically for your bike would be ideal, but kawiforums has a lot of maps floating around. Just search for one from an RR with similar mods (basically stock with pipes). I would try my best to make sure the source is someone who knows what they are doing. There's a few guys who have half the board running their maps, lol.

I have a '05 ZX-6RR, that pulled 117 rear-wheel HP with the stock exhaust and cat, tuned via PC3 at a shop by the previous owner. Still need to go back and get it re-tuned now that it has a full exhaust.

Thanks! Will check out kawiforums to see if I can find a map. I'll have to search around and see what's happening there.

I looked at an 2005 ZX6RR in blue, it was very nice. That's quite a lot of power for all stock (except PC3)! I'm pretty shocked it can go that high without mods. Hope my bike has some potential too. I'm more concerned about it running well, but extra power is good too.