K&N Oil Filter Recall

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I rec'd an email today regarding the recall of K&N Oil Filters models KN-204 & KN-204C manufactured between March 2016 thru September 2016. Apparently some have exhibited leaking at the nut welded on the top for easy removal. Fortunately for me, I either didn't get one in that range or replaced it since, as my date code didn't fall in that range. If any of you use K&N oil filters, you may wanna check this out. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2017/RCMN-17E044-1798.pdf

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Seeing as how the manufactured dates are from 2016, it may very well be, sorry. I searched to see if there was already a thread on this, but nothing came up. So much for my searching skills.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the KN-303 on my FZ6. That's not part of the recall, correct?

I believe it's just the 204 series and it was in the manufacturing time frame listed. They probably have it sorted but I won't us those anymore anyway. Shouldn't need a nut anyway....:rolleyes:

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah but... why use a 204 filter on a FZ6 when the 303 is also compatible but has more filtering area?

Funny thing, I've just repaced these last night. After learning about this recall last year, I'll avoid the nut type filters as much as I can. Even had one nut snap when unscrewing, so it's not that useful after all.

Attachments

• photo_2018-06-19_23-54-26.jpg
    photo_2018-06-19_23-54-26.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 26

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah but... why use a 204 filter on a FZ6 when the 303 is also compatible but has more filtering area?

Funny thing, I've just repaced these last night. After learning about this recall last year, I'll avoid the nut type filters as much as I can. Even had one nut snap when unscrewing, so it's not that useful after all.

The 204 is recommended for the S2 models, the 303 for the S1. I think this is a carryover from a change on the R6 that made the 303 not have enough clearance somewhere, but the 303 should also fit on an S2 if you want to make it work.

OG MayMay

the milkman
Reaction score
Visit site
According to Yamaha and all the other manufacturers, you should only use an OEM filter due to the pressure relief valve in the oil filter. A K&N, Wix, etc may fit and thread onto the motor, but the pressure relief valve is most likely not set the same as the OEM filter because car and motorcycle oil pressures differ. This could cause oil to not flow or more likely just not be filtered.

I've had a guy with a 636 come into my work and tell me he had to unscrew and rescrew his oil filter while the engine was running to get oil to flow. I asked him what type of filter he was using and he said whatever the guy at auto-zone gave him.

The pressure relief valve values are typically not available from either aftermarket or OEM manufacturers.