Just noticed my inspection was up 2 months ago.... Tire time

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Whoops... Thought for sure I was good til July! Anyways my rear tire is hammered and won't pass inspection. So, where do you guys buy your tires? I usually go motorcycle superstore but I haven't really shopped around.

Oh and suggestions on tires? I'm pretty tight on money but planned on getting some Metzler Z8's, however Pirelli and a couple others just came out with claimed "high mileage" tires, any experience?

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
I run sport touring tires. Michelin pilot road 3s for me. I get most of my stuff from motorcycle superstore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually go where I can get the best deal. Though I just got a rear PR3 from motorcycle superstore to replace my punctured PR2.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually check revzilla.com, cyclegear.com, and motorcycle superstore.

A lot of people like Pilot Road 2's and Pilot Road 3's. I personally would rather have a hypersport and tried the Pilot Power 3 as my current tire. Love it so far and have about 850 miles and they still look new. I'm hoping to get between 6,000-8,000 miles out of them.

Reaction score
Visit site
Whoops... Thought for sure I was good til July! Anyways my rear tire is hammered and won't pass inspection. So, where do you guys buy your tires? I usually go motorcycle superstore but I haven't really shopped around.

Oh and suggestions on tires? I'm pretty tight on money but planned on getting some Metzler Z8's, however Pirelli and a couple others just came out with claimed "high mileage" tires, any experience?

Revzilla :thumbup: And if they have the tire that you choose stocked in their Philly warehouse, it would arrive to you in N.Y. fast.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I truly believe that you can't go wrong with any of the brand name tires. Buy a set of current generation sport touring tires and you'll get well over 10k miles of sticky tire goodness.

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Currently on a PR2 rear, and a PR3 front. My front tire hasn't killed me yet. :)

Every decent local shop I've asked has said they'll price match Motorcycle Superstore or whatever online shop, and a few have also knocked a couple bucks off mounting for buying from them also. They'd rather drop their price and make some money off the sale than mount a tire you bought somewhere else.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Prices are usually always fairly similar. I usually go with bikebandit because they have fast free shipping and they've always treated me well. I've run a few different sets, right now I'm riding on bridgestone bt23's I believe it was. They're a touring tire with great grip and so far terrific mileage.

Funny you mention the inspection -- I've gotten ridiculed so many times over the years because I don't inspect my bike. After 4 years now, I finally got it inspected and I have to say it feels great not to be paranoid. Definitely get that addressed haha, but when times are hard you gotta do what you gotta do.

I would not suggest perelli's or any track tire unless that is where you plan to take the steed. If you're a daily commuter, I would highly recommend a touring tire like the stock battleax or the pilot power roads. All depends on what it is you're looking for.

Last edited:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Just to avoid confusion Pilot Power is a soft tire, Pilot Road 2 or 3 are dual compounds and are worth the cost for the added miles. I like the PR2 for longevity.
They stick to the very end well past the wear bars. Don't ask how I know :)

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Just to avoid confusion Pilot Power is a soft tire, Pilot Road 2 or 3 are dual compounds and are worth the cost for the added miles. I like the PR2 for longevity.
They stick to the very end well past the wear bars. Don't ask how I know :)

You are correct the Pilot Power is a single compound soft tire. Pilot Power 3 is a 2ct tire the same as Pilot Road 2. The Pilot Power 3 is supposed to have 20% longer life than the Pilot Power 2CT which for many people was a 6-8,000 mile that I had seen on reviews (4,000 was the fastest I saw someone say they go through them). I couldn't stand my Pilot Road 2's. The side traction required me to work a lot harder to ride the bike as I wanted. The Pilot Power 3 has a lot of side grip that is very confidence inspiring. If you are just going to be flat super slab commuter riding, the Pilot Road 2 is a great tire, longevity and satisfactory stick. If you may want to go for some more spirited rides or like to push it a little during the commute the Pilot Power 3 is way better.
The image on the left is the Pilot Power 3 and the Pilot Road 2 is on the right
View attachment 47970View attachment 47971

Last edited:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Am partial to the Pilot Road 3's - just put a set on my CBR600RR. The Power 3 has a little more grip but not that big of a difference on the street. The Road 3's stick very well from the moment they are mounted - always break them in but they don't seem to need it. Also they don't need much to warm them up. If you are on a budget go with the Road 2's - very similar to the Road 3's but not quite as good in heavy rain. Think the Road 3 rear lasts longer than the Road 2. I always rode a Road 2 on the front of my FZ6 with Road 2's and 3's on the rear. Was really surprised how many of the CBR600 folks run the Road 3's particularly those who commute. The track day junkies do go for the uber high perf tires though.