Just introducing myself :) and hoping for som help....

Sabra

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all. I'm Sarah, the proud owner of 'Dwayne'. He is a FZ6 fazer S2. My first big bike and i'm love struck :)
Anyway... I'm after a sat nav system so I can stretch his wheels but I'm kinda confused. I've been looking at the Tomtom urban rider and it looks ok but there is no blue tooth? I've looked at previous threads but if i'm honest I just got even more confused....
Would anyone put things in simple terms for me? any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Oh and for all you lucky enough to live where it never rains, I'm in manchester England where its never sunny! so i need something weather proof :)
Thanks all
Sarah
xxx

Sarah,

Congrats on the New FZ6! If you were looking for a Performance bike on a budget that is comfortable to tour on, you have made the right move!

As far as GPS, that is waterproof, and bluetooth; my suggestions is the Garmin ZUMO! In order to utilize the blutooth capabilities, you will need the 'ChatterBox' bluetooth helmet receiver.

Unfortunately ... it is probably the most expensive, but it is the more durable GOS unit with the molded-rubber-outer corners, and a lock-system to the bike to prevent theft.

MB

Hi Sarah,
Congrats on the bike. You could do what I have done, which is to use any sat-nav, and buy a waterproof case. I already had the Tomtom for the car. It has bluetooth, although I dont use it as I have a starcom intercom, with bluetooth. Ive just bought the "so easy rider V3" off ebay, it was £42 with delivery. Its universal, so you can fit most satnavs in. I dont know what its like, personally, as Im on my honeymoon at the moment, and it was delivered while we were away. I was going to buy the bike specific satnav, but they do cost quite a bit. Hope this helps.:welcome:

:welcome::welcome: Sarah. You will enjoy this forum and your FZ6/Fazer a lot.
I don't have a GPS myself and am kind of stubborn regarding needing one. There should be some good threads/posts regarding GPS just do a search.
Nice to have you on board. Enjoy, Be Safe and Love Life.

Thanks guys :) I do like the look of the zumo 550 but it seems alot more expensive than the tomtom.... Its the blue tooth bit that confuses me really, I have the Arai RX7 GP helmet and am trying to figure out what the headset fits like.
Do the mounts they come with fit the S2 (2008)? Is the blue tooth bit essential? can't you just plug earphones into these things? sorry for all the novice questions but I just don't wanna end up with something that is just gonna bug me!
I've noticed alot of riders just put them in clear fronted cases?
I would just go look at them if I could find anywhere that actually has them on disply!

Hello and welcome to the site Sarah! Awesome choice getting a Fazer! You won't be disappointed. A Zumo is an awesome GPS unit, but very expensive. I use a Garmin Nuvi 765T GPS (it has a headphone jack) and a pair of Bose in-ear headphones. I keep the GPS in my tank bag, or inside my jacket depending on weather. The benefit of the Nuvi 765T (and some other Nuvi models) is that it also stores and plays .mp3's and also audiobooks! Perfect for those longer tours.

Good luck with whatever you end up choosing to buy, and again, :welcome:

Hi there Sarah, welcome to the Forum :thumbup:, my brother lives in Northwich (and works in Manchester) so I know what you mean about the weather :eek:
I have the Zumo 500 (the 550 without the car mount) and I'm very pleased with it :thumbup:.
Recently garmin released the Zumo 220 and they also have the Zumo 660 both of these are cheaper than the 500 used to be.
TomTom has the rider.

Be sure to decide what you want before you buy it as each package has somethings included and others not. For example cables, car mounts, route software (the garmin has beter software with it) but you can use the program Tyre to plan your routes on tomtom.
I like Garmin but it's down to a personal preference. Tomtom is better taking the quick route A to B but Garmin is more flexible letting you take farm tracks etc. Garmin has a better coverage in the world but generally the tomtom is better detailed in "Western europe". The Garmin zumo is better to handle with your gloves on than the tomtom rider.

These are just a few of the differences, good luck on your choice :thumbup:

Last edited:
Thanks guys :) I do like the look of the zumo 550 but it seems alot more expensive than the tomtom.... Its the blue tooth bit that confuses me really, I have the Arai RX7 GP helmet and am trying to figure out what the headset fits like.
I use a simple bluetooth receiver and inear headset which I put in my inside pocket as I can also use it with my telephone, and netbook when I'm not on the bike.

Do the mounts they come with fit the S2 (2008)? Is the blue tooth bit essential? can't you just plug earphones into these things? sorry for all the novice questions but I just don't wanna end up with something that is just gonna bug me!

IMG_1972.JPG

here's mine just using the u mount supplied (there are several other posibilities with extra parts from ram-mount or your own made mount.
There is a seperate plug on the 500 for a standard headset, some people prefer this, but I find bluetooth easier as you can just step off your bike.

I've noticed alot of riders just put them in clear fronted cases?
I would just go look at them if I could find anywhere that actually has them on disply!

You mean like this

Theres also this givi waterproof bag

Here's some more info

Good luck

Last edited:
Don't waste your money buying a GPS that is motorcycle specific.

I ended up getting an ordinary Garmin GPS for $120 USD and just opted for the additional insurance that the store offered for an extra $15. Not sure if there are stores in the UK that offer a similar plan. But I could go through five GPS's and still come out ahead without getting a Zumo. The insurance is a good idea because the vibration from the bike might cause it to become inop. That's when the extended warranty would come in.

It came with a windsheild mount so it mounted onto the inside of my windscreen. Whenever it rained, it still stayed dried as long as I was moving since the unit was protected by the windscreen.

Like some other member has mentioned, use the search tab and type in keywords, like GPS, Garmin, Zumo and not only you will find everything you need to know about what kind to get, but the different ways how each member has gotten it to power up from their battery.

If you search use words like "GPS*" or "box*" or "bag*" for words shorter than 4 letters (the forum search function doesn't accept less than 4 letters).

Last edited:
:welcome:Sarah! You've got one of the most awesome, do it all, bikes and it looks beautiful as well. In addition, this is the greatest forum around with great folks from all around the globe. Have fun and good luck on your search for a Sat-Nav. :welcome:

Thanks for all the advice guys, i'll have a shop about and see what I find, you've given me some ideas.... Its so nice to find a forum where people actually answer! with sensible replies :)
And thanks for all the welcome messages xxx
I'll let you all know what i go for in the end :)

:welcome: Sara,

I don´t know what kind of cellphone device you have but if you own one were you can download gps programs and has bluetooth, you may want to just use it, for less than $50.00 usd, You can get a weather proof bag, the mount, you can use the car cable as long as you install a weather proof cigarret lighter socket, (this can be use for you battery tender as well).
I guess all you will need then is a helmet with bluetooth or a normal bluetooth device or even the headphones that you may already have for your telephone device.

This looks like a good deal (BTW zumo 500 is without a car mount, but my wife has a tomtom so that didn't matter to me).

There's also a Dutch article about the nuvi 500 series (510 & 550 both waterproof) here :thumbup:

The Dutch article mainly says that the Nuvi works well but it is more difficult to read in the sun (I think this can be solved by making a sort of sun visor from a tupperware box and painting it black), and that the buttons are too small to be used with a motorbike glove.

Good luck

Last edited:
Back