Just hunting for feedback....

Mr Buck

Born on the wrong side
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, I know I havent been on in a while, and I've let my elite status run out, but Ive had a rather bad year ( who hasnt! )

Well Ive finally found work, part time, but its work, and Ive got a scoot, not a FZ ( '85 GPZ600R ) but it beats being stuck in a cage! :BLAA: anyway, I'm in your little corner of the site as Ive been bouncing an idea a colleague gave me round in my head. We got talking about things in general, and she happened to mention she has a Australian permenant resident visa. She's a British national, but traveled to your beautiful country on a working holiday visa 6 years ago, got it extended then finaly applied for the PR visa.

As Im only part time, im seriously thinking about applying for the working holiday visa, simply to travel for a bit, and was wondering what the general concensus is in Australia about Brits coming over and doing these Temp/casual working holidays?

I've been a qualified mechanic since 2001 with many years experience, and graduated uni in 2010 with a BA Hons degree in business management, currently working in finance, willing to give anything a go!

Any feedback and information you can give me is much appreciated :D

Many thanks in advance ;)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, I know I havent been on in a while, and I've let my elite status run out, but Ive had a rather bad year ( who hasnt! )

Well Ive finally found work, part time, but its work, and Ive got a scoot, not a FZ ( '85 GPZ600R ) but it beats being stuck in a cage! :BLAA: anyway, I'm in your little corner of the site as Ive been bouncing an idea a colleague gave me round in my head. We got talking about things in general, and she happened to mention she has a Australian permenant resident visa. She's a British national, but traveled to your beautiful country on a working holiday visa 6 years ago, got it extended then finaly applied for the PR visa.

As Im only part time, im seriously thinking about applying for the working holiday visa, simply to travel for a bit, and was wondering what the general concensus is in Australia about Brits coming over and doing these Temp/casual working holidays?

I've been a qualified mechanic since 2001 with many years experience, and graduated uni in 2010 with a BA Hons degree in business management, currently working in finance, willing to give anything a go!

Any feedback and information you can give me is much appreciated :D

Many thanks in advance ;)
Have you checked out your points status with Immigration?
This will tell you if you have the required skills that are currently being sought.
I think most Aussies won't mind anyone stepping on to their Island as long as they are willing to contribute to society and the tax system.

I am trying to convince my wife that we need to go to Australia. As Nurses we do well with the points.
I know NZ is currently looking for skilled workers.

Good luck
Nelly

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah come on down, if you can.
I met a couple of nurses that worked all over Oz, we met in peru of all places. As Nelly says, check with Immigration, they'll let you know what professions we want. we've had heaps of kiwis in my work group, I have an american, and a tasmanian now, oh yeah the tasmanian IS australian(my bad, ha ha )
Seriously I love what is brought to the overall culture by mixing it up a bit. Not the view of everyone, but I'm not speaking for all
what do they say "travel broadens the mind"? or something like that

Mr Buck

Born on the wrong side
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Nelly,

Cheers for the quick reply :thumbup:

As its a Working Holiday Visa ( Subclass 417) I'm not actually going over there to work, I'm going with the intent of having a long holiday, with the advantage that I can legally do temp, casual, or any work for that matter to fund my holiday, so long as I dont work for longer than a six month period for the same employer.

However, I did just take the points test again, and I got 70 points, which is 5 more than minimum requirement :p so I would be eligible for a general Skilled – Independent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 175), should I fing the spare £4528.78 to apply for that.

For now the 417 would be ideal, giving me a chance to travel around, meet people, find out what working and life is like, and if its not for me, for the sake of £270 application fee, I havent really lost out :).

Mr Buck

Born on the wrong side
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for that Adrian ;)

Its good to know that there are people with a positive attitude towards Immigration.

Ive been giving this some serious thought lately, and to be honest theres nothing stopping me. Yes I need to pay off any debts I have here like credit cards etc, selling all of my gear should sort that stuff out, and having no ties to the UK means I havent really got anything to loose :)

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Its a huge move but we have lots of sunshine :D

Big committment. If you come over with a great attitude, big smile, pay tax and don't say "We do it better/different in the UK" all the time, we'd love to have you here. That goes for ALL nationalities.

Adapt/fit in to the Aussie way of life. That's all we ask

:welcome: :aus:

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Buck

Born on the wrong side
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Karen, thanks for that :)

I have no quarms about giving up the UK way of doing things, as far as I can tell, we're doing everything the wrong way anyway!

I would gladly swap my UK passport for an Australlian one, wark hard pay tax and do everything by the book.

Just need to settle my credit card bills, and get a few grand in the bank, which on my current wage might take a while, but Im gonna have a go, get another job if I have to, and give it a shot, havent got anything to loose really! plus, dry roads are always better to ride on that wet ones!! :BLAA:

Mr Buck

Born on the wrong side
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all.

Just a quick update to my situation.

I applied for a job as a spanner monkey from seek.com.au, and have recently had a reply from Protech.com.au asking if i could provide more information regarding my mechanical and auto electrical skills.

Would anyone be able to tell me if Protech.com.au are a legit company? Ive had a look round their website and everything seems ok, but would prefer to hear from people I trust whether I can go ahead and continue the application.

Any and all help and advice is greatly appreciated :thumbup:

Mr Buck

Born on the wrong side
Reaction score
Visit site
Well after a bit of digging, im gonna give this protech company a bash and see what happens, not getting my hopes up just yet though ;)