Just bought my FZ6

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
So today I bought my first Yamaha FZ6. It's a 2005 model, with 4400 miles on the odometer. It's completely stock except for deer whistles and the Givi luggage. It appears to be in perfect condition except for a small scratch on the engine case on the left side. I had it professionally inspected before buying.

Anyway, it's the best ride I've ever had. This is my 3rd bike, and I had purchased a 1992 SECA II which lasted about a month before the starter motor clutch died.

I'm really enjoying it, especially the fuel injection. The stock windscreen might be a little low for highway riding.

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Hows it going fella. ;)

I'm imagining that Deer whistles are some kind of deterrent?

Yeah I think they emite a subsonic noise to deter them.They came with and you don't even notice them.

I'd ask some questions about the bike, but it's still just a motorcycle and it appears to come with everything I need, stock, so... :)

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I think they emite a subsonic noise to deter them.They came with and you don't even notice them.

I'd ask some questions about the bike, but it's still just a motorcycle and it appears to come with everything I need, stock, so... :)

If only it were that simple ;) the modding bug gets us all in the end.Even simple changes start to turn into something else.......

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum!

Deer whistles? Hmmm, something we don't need in Oz LOL

Remember, ride your own ride, ATGATT, post often and post pics!

:D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum!

Deer whistles? Hmmm, something we don't need in Oz LOL

Remember, ride your own ride, ATGATT, post often and post pics!

:D

:welcome: HappyHighwayman to the very best forum.

They have Wallaby whistles down under...:D
picture.php

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome aboard fellow S.F. Bay Area alumni! You couldn't have picked a better bike or place to ride it than you have. Give the windscreen a chance though, I find mine sufficient for my comfort level. Oh yeah, and I said the same thing about it having everything I needed without doing any mods....yup, then the mod bug bit. :D

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
My mechanic and I were laughing about them. I told him they clearly worked as I had not yet hit a deer in the city...then I told him the other one was anti-tiger whistle, as no tigers had yet attacked either.

Of course it had to rain the day after I buy it. Would be out riding now.

sabre

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome and congrats an a fine purchase. SF area is a wonderful place to be on two wheels. I've done more mods on my '07 than I ever thought I would, although I will admit the FZ is about as perfect as a bike can get stock.
BTW, What did you do with the Seca II? Still have it? A starter clutch isn't to bad an item to have to replace, if the bike is in otherwise good shape.

HappyHighwayman

Reaction score
Visit site
I sold it for like $300.00. I have zero mechanical skills and would have had to throw more good money after bad. The starter motor replacement on a SECA II is difficult because it's inside the engine.

I decided to stick with a low mileage, late model fuel injected bike. It came down to this or an SV650 and I'm glad I stuck with the FZ6.

paulinus

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:

Once the mod bug bites...the itch doesn't go away :) Enjoy yourself out there on the west coast.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Now I feel stupd.

Mike's just told me of this product - the ShuRoo - scares away wildlife :eek:

ShuRoo - High Frequency Protection, Pest Management Systems, Wildlife Convervation and Animal Deterrent Systems

My mechanic and I were laughing about them. I told him they clearly worked as I had not yet hit a deer in the city...then I told him the other one was anti-tiger whistle, as no tigers had yet attacked either.

I was joking about the wallaby whistle but apparently they do have something Haha!!!

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site

I know where you're coming from.
We own a Rhodesian Ridgeback,and to this day have had no bother from any Lions,either in the house or garden.Therefore,I feel fully justified in my choice of dog.;)
:D :D

Stevenator

I'll be back...eventually
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the FZ6 club! :cheer:

The windshield was the first thing i did to mine when i got it. I'm 6'3" and at highway speeds it felt like my shoulders and head were getting punched randomly... not like hard Bruce Lee punches... but enough to make me want to change it.

A Pugi Dark Smoke Windshield was my first mod, made my ride MUCH more enjoyable... but then... then the bug had its teeth into me...:eek:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:
I've always wondered if those deer whistles work. I live in the woods in Michigan and they are everywhere. I've had them on a few cars of mine but I never really knew if they were working or not.