Jay Leno and Arai

b.konstadinos

LIVE TO RIDE TO LIVE
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually had that guy fit me at the cycle world show in Chicago a couple years ago. He is fantastic!! Not only did he guess down to the cm what size my head was by using his hand, he used it to gauge the shape as well. He fitted me to a Quantum 2 based on my head shape. I now use a Shark RSR2 Size med. My cheek pads are a little tight, but it actually reminds me to relax a little. When I clinch my jaw, it is too snug, but when I relax it is perfect. As for the Shark helmet, best I've ever had. Shoei RF-1000 (which I hated) last, and a \\"tested\\" Suomy Spec1-R. THe Suomy was almost equal to the Shark, but didn't vent as well. THe Shoei didn't seem like it came down low enough to cover my chin a crash.

Hi. Let me mention something about the fitting of the helmet. It's not only the size of the helmet that matters but the shape too. Every helmet maker has different shape on his helmets. There are helmets that will not fit your head even the size is correct or you change the inner pads. When i went to the shop to buy me a new helmet the seller mentioned all the things Bruce Porter's mentioned on that film. i spent 2 hours trying different helmets to find the one. I tried 7! different makes of helmets till i found the one that really fitted me. I tried ARAI rx7 corsair too and i changed many pads but it didn't fit me at all. I ended up with the SHOEI X-spirit or X11 if you want as it's called in the US. I didn't buy it because it's a SHOEI but because it fits my head best of all. What i'm trying to say is that you don't buy a helmet because it is an ARAI,SHOEI,SHARK or whatever but because it fits you the best. I'm telling all these because you gave me the opportunity with your post to mention some things that many people don't know and to help some new helmet buyers and ofcourse to give you an explanation to your helmet choice. :thumbup:

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
OK, I understand that I need a helmet to fit my head shape, but how the hell do I know what that is? Is there a way to measure it or something? I can try on three helmets and they all feel slightly different, but all pretty comfortable at the same time. Am I the only person who doesn't have the foggiest idea what his head shape is?

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
With the price of good helmets these days, there should be a method of mold fitting one and have one custom delivered. Certainly would add to the cost but I would pay as my head always seems to be in the middle of two sizes.

b.konstadinos

LIVE TO RIDE TO LIVE
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, I understand that I need a helmet to fit my head shape, but how the hell do I know what that is? Is there a way to measure it or something? I can try on three helmets and they all feel slightly different, but all pretty comfortable at the same time. Am I the only person who doesn't have the foggiest idea what his head shape is?

No, not at all. I had the same thought when i was trying different makes of helmets and most of them didn't fit me. Every persons head has a unique shape. The only way to see which one fits you the most is to wear the helmet as long as you can when you are in the helmet shop. You can ask the seller about that. I was wearing my helmet for about 45' min as is was talking with the seller in the helmet shop. My personal opinion is that it is the only way to see what helmet fits you the most. There's no need to hurry when you're buying a new helmet. You have to spend time, it's for your safety. :thumbup:

b.konstadinos

LIVE TO RIDE TO LIVE
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
With the price of good helmets these days, there should be a method of mold fitting one and have one custom delivered. Certainly would add to the cost but I would pay as my head always seems to be in the middle of two sizes.

That's why the inner pads should be replaceable. When you are in the middle you have to choose the smaller size. After wearing the helmet a lot of times the pads tend to be more softer and touch exactly the shape of your head. if you take the bigger size it will never fit your head. It will be big for your head.:thumbup:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
To the nurse:

Thank you for your response on that area. With my experience in offroad racing, the first thing is to never remove an injured riders helment until medics get there to determine any further injuries. If you come across an injured rider, if he or she is down. Ask the rider how many fingers, and ask them if they can feel all their fingers and toes. From their, you can gently lift their sheild or remove googles to allow air flow while helment is on.

Second:

I dont know about you guys and gals, but I value my head. If the only thing that protects my head has been dropped and experienced an impact, its done. The purpose of the helment is displace the energy of the imact throughout the helment, and not one point. When this happens the material is then no longer to do that. I think of it like crumple zones on a car...
If the helment has been dropped, replace it. My rule of thumb.

My .02

-bryan