Jacket color

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
I want to get a black textile jacket.....will I regret this in the summer sun?

I was thinking about getting a lighter color like grey, since black in the sun is the hottest color.

However when your moving the textile jackets are pretty cool with the air moving.

Anyone wear an all black jacket and have thoughts on if they wish they had a white or grey color instead?

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a black textile and a white and black leather. I had a blue textile before. To me the heat from the sun sort of goes through the textiles regardless of color. The leather is cooler...until it's not.

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
Black Joe Rocket "Alter Ego" here, jacket and pants.
I just remove the outer shell and it turns into a mesh coat, but still retains the armor..the pants have a zip out section that allows air in the thy and around the back..

Most jackets now have some type of venting to keep you cool..

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok so it seems like the consensus is...keep moving and if your jacket has vents you will be ok regaurdles of color. Stop moving and any jacket gets hot?

thanks for the imput!

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
I own a black textile and a light blue mesh jacket. The mesh is cooler, so I can't really say it's due to the color, but I don't think I'll ever buy black again for visibility reasons alone.

Shadow709

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a textile jacket that I hate, I'm getting a stryker driver vest and elbow pads to replace it.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I think the science of dark colors is hotter than light colors just doesn't apply enough to mesh riding jackets. If it's hot, you're gonna be hot. Black cars in hot climates are a different story because they sit and absorb so much heat all the time.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Joe Rocket Radar Race "hybrid" jacket, leather and mesh. Protection of the leather and cooling with the mesh.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a alpine stars stunt its all black and omg zipper down wrists open I'm freaking dying In 85 f so when it gets to 100 this summer I'm a dead man riding

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Will the black mesh absorb heat better? Yes... but, there's far less surface area on a mesh jackets. Lots of holes, remember?

I've ridden in blue and black. I didn't notice a difference in heat or being seen. :don'tknow: The fact is, if it's 90F+, it's effin hot no matter what you wear. Hydrate. Enjoy yourself. And tell all the n00bs that say "OMG I can't wear all that gear in the heat. You're crazy.", tell them that you can always take another shower. You can't grow new skin...

CamoColton

Reaction score
www.cnyjeep.org
I've felt more heat from the sun wearing just a black T-shirt on a bike than wearing any of my black jackets, mesh or solid textile. I think whatever heat the outer fabric absorbs from sunlight never makes through the jacket to you due to thicker materials and/or layers of material. Your own body heat and the heat rising off the road and your own bike is the real enemy. My other bike is an air-cooled V-twin and my greatest source of discomfort on a hot day is the heat coming off the rear cylinder; there's just no escaping it.

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear an old euro-style touring jacket ...which is black .. and textile . replaced the crappy Armour in it though ...

Sometimes though i get seriously hot more so when stuck in traffic

on the other hand very warm in winter n colder weather wind etc :thumbup: