I've got a loooong way to go

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Doing good there... Race line it's something that will come naturally. I'm a bit new to track day but been in racing fort the past 25 years. I did slow down my pace a lot last time and I learn much more. For me its body position and have my arms and shoulder more relax.

Rule of thumb is corner exit! A lot of guys dive bomb on entry and upset the bike at mid corner and can't get out or back on the throttle soon enough. As pace pick up you don't charge the corner harder... just carry more speed through the corner and get back on the gas sooner has confidence build up.

Another thing a friend of mine told me, when you hit the apex your tire should be close to the rumble strip... not your knee. That's another 2-3 ft of track you don't use. I know... easier said than done. LOL Working on that one still.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Doing good there... Race line it's something that will come naturally. I'm a bit new to track day but been in racing fort the past 25 years. I did slow down my pace a lot last time and I learn much more. For me its body position and have my arms and shoulder more relax.

Rule of thumb is corner exit! A lot of guys dive bomb on entry and upset the bike at mid corner and can't get out or back on the throttle soon enough. As pace pick up you don't charge the corner harder... just carry more speed through the corner and get back on the gas sooner has confidence build up.

Another thing a friend of mine told me, when you hit the apex your tire should be close to the rumble strip... not your knee. That's another 2-3 ft of track you don't use. I know... easier said than done. LOL Working on that one still.

I'm in that place now where I know most of the things I need to be doing, but can't actually execute them! Like having the tire right at the curb at apex.. earlier turn-ins in several places and letting the bike drive out to the outside curb after hitting apex in some spots.
Curious how it will feel to ride the same track 2 days in a row. This will be a first for me.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
What org is your session with this week? I just saw where Scott Russell will be at your track next week with the Yamaha Champion Riding School. He's known for doing two-ups on the FZ1. The YCRS is a great school and Nick and Ken do an awesome job.

Oh, and you have the National this weekend right?

Did they do the Grand Championships last weekend? Did you make it out? Always interesting to see the difference between trackday lines, club racing lines and pro lines.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What org is your session with this week? I just saw where Scott Russell will be at your track next week with the Yamaha Champion Riding School. He's known for doing two-ups on the FZ1. The YCRS is a great school and Nick and Ken do an awesome job.

Oh, and you have the National this weekend right?

Did they do the Grand Championships last weekend? Did you make it out? Always interesting to see the difference between trackday lines, club racing lines and pro lines.

This event is a combined effort of Team Pro-motion and Penguin Racing.
YCRS is at NJMP throughout the Summer now and they use FZ1 as their training bikes (not really sure why?)
I really wanted to do that school, but it's shockingly expensive ($2.5k for 2 days).
Glen Goldman (TPM president and former AMA racer) does 2-up rides on a Ninja 1k.. he regularly blows by me in the turns 2-up, just as I'm thinking "wow I'm pretty fast!"
I didn't make it out there last weekend, but the Nationals are right after this training event and the school fee includes tickets for both days.
I watched club racing on 9/1.. kind of funny: one of the school instructors, who used to race in the AMA XR series was in the race on a Ninja 650 (as in... no power and too much weight, compared to 600cc supersports).. not track-prepped.. mirrors, lights.. etc. He was consistently overtaking riders in T5, using a line no *human* would attempt.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
This event is a combined effort of Team Pro-motion and Penguin Racing.
YCRS is at NJMP throughout the Summer now and they use FZ1 as their training bikes (not really sure why?)
I really wanted to do that school, but it's shockingly expensive ($2.5k for 2 days).
Glen Goldman (TPM president and former AMA racer) does 2-up rides on a Ninja 1k.. he regularly blows by me in the turns 2-up, just as I'm thinking "wow I'm pretty fast!"
I didn't make it out there last weekend, but the Nationals are right after this training event and the school fee includes tickets for both days.
I watched club racing on 9/1.. kind of funny: one of the school instructors, who used to race in the AMA XR series was in the race on a Ninja 650 (as in... no power and too much weight, compared to 600cc supersports).. not track-prepped.. mirrors, lights.. etc. He was consistently overtaking riders in T5, using a line no *human* would attempt.
Yep, YCRS is very expensive, but I'd still like to do it.
Yep, speed is relative. Just when you think you're fast, some alien comes thru much faster (think MM-93).
Have fun with Penguin and TPM. Pridmore still does the Penguin school, doesn't he? He does two ups. A friend drug his knee at Mid-Ohio while on the back with him a few years ago.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, YCRS is very expensive, but I'd still like to do it.
Yep, speed is relative. Just when you think you're fast, some alien comes thru much faster (think MM-93).
Have fun with Penguin and TPM. Pridmore still does the Penguin school, doesn't he? He does two ups. A friend drug his knee at Mid-Ohio while on the back with him a few years ago.

No idea about if Pridmore is riding with Penguin.. I've never ridden with Peng before (just CSS, TPM and ACE).

The idea of being a passenger on the track with a fast pilot terrifies me.. I have trust/control issues :rolleyes:

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I understand. I don't even ride in a car as a passenger very well:rolleyes: But, I'd love to do a lap with Randy Mamola on the Ducati!!