Ivan's Performance Fuel Cut Eliminator - no FZ6 version

TimC

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, I'm putting this in the general forum instead of mods because I think it's an issue with the bike as opposed to primarily a mod for the sake of it, and I'd say this should reach more potentially-interested parties. Moderators - feel free to move thread if necessary.

OK - so 3/2010 issue of Sport Rider has the following ("Gear Bag," p. 92):

Attention FZ1 Owners:

Owners of 2006-present Yamaha FZ1's can attest to the abrupt on/off throttle response at low speeds. Ivan's new Fuel Cut Eliminator solves this problem by addressing the root cause - the fuel cut command. On the FZ1, when the throttle is closed above 4500rpm the fuel injection system stops delivering fuel. On re-application there's a lag before the fuel reaches the intake tract. With the FCE that problem is no more..." (description goes on with mention of improved midrange power, contact info, price ($195) etc.)

I'm presuming this issue is precisely why my '07 exhibits this same behavior (further, the above description is somewhat edited to fit the available space; Ivan's website notes that the problem is worse in cornering, which is specifically when it is most annoying). I called Ivan's up and was told that if he can get a bike to look at, he can develop a similar mod (which is why he hasn't yet done it for the FZ6). So, I figured I'd see if someone in the NY area might be willing to hook him up (I'm in CA). I'm guessing a lot of owners would be interested in fixing this issue.

Regards,
Tim

Here's his contact info (I have no affiliation, obviously):

Ivan's Performance Products
(845) 268-1212

Ivan's Rockland County Motorcycle
175 N. Route 9W - Unit #1
Congers, NY, 10920

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Having owned an 07 FZ6 and now owning an 06 FZ1 I can tell you that they do indeed suffer from the same problem. The FZ6 isn't as gnarly when it happens but it is there. At around 6,000RPMs if you even just try to hold your speed on a very slight down hill run, and the throttle just on the point of opening and closing, it will crack on and off/on/off, and pops at the can as well. If you trail brake into a turn, especially in first (which is another reason why it's so much worse on an FZ1) at 6500-8000RPMs when you get back on the gas with the bike still over at 45 degrees it first hesitates (so you go looking for it or have to change your line) and then will crack open with a backfire and tries to lift the front wheel:eek:...lol. Not the best 'aid' to smooth riding..lol.

The unit itself (for the FZ1) is -from what I can determine- very well constructed, is easy to fit and there are detailed instructions and even videos to show you how. I'd imagine the FZ6 version (if made) will be almost identical. I reckon it'd be great to see this happen. The FCE from all reports, is about the biggest single difference you can make to an 06 FZ1.

Cheers
Mike

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it was 07 they revised the fueling maps. My 04 stutters some too, especially in first gear. I have been told that installing a PC Commander helps the problem though.

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I think it was 07 they revised the fueling maps. My 04 stutters some too, especially in first gear. I have been told that installing a PC Commander helps the problem though.

I can't say that my 2004 ever stumbled, but I did notice an improvement (less snatchiness) in my throttle response once I had the TPS replaced by the recall.

I think that Nasaman's theory about the changing of the wiper sensitivity at low openings has some merit. Whatever it was, my 2004 has run a lot smoother since the recall work.

Now, if they could do something about the crappy, clunky shifting of the gearbox....

mynameisrodney

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to dig up an old thread. I have just got a 2006 FZ6 and am experiencing the same problem. I take it there is no chance of getting an FCE for the FZ6 from Ivan's, but could one be reverse engineered from the FZ1 unit? Maybe just starting with the installation instructions and some oscilloscope measurements might be enough for a start point?

Cheers,
Chris