Issues with ICON gloves, recommendations?

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I got my bike with a pair of 29ers, great little glove but they ripped when I went down so I replaced them with the super duty glove from ICON. I liked them but the velcro disintegrated on one glove and became unstitched on the other. I got a replacement pair from my local mc shop and now, 1 week later, Yes, ONE WEEK later they have begun to fail too. At this point I am done spending money on Icon gloves, I love my jacket but that's where it ends. I need some recommendations.
-I fit snug in an icon large
-I like short wrist gloves(no gauntlet)
-Padded knuckles would be a bonus
-and "cheap" or should I say "affordable"
thanks guys/gals
B963C4AA-5679-4001-8213-3AD4A0C22DE6-3222-00000265E09F4B16_zps33fff9c3.jpg

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Once again, get the Motoport Kevlar Racing Gloves and it will be the very last pair of gloves you will ever have to purchase. By far the best gloves ever made.

In the event you crash, and they can't repair them, they will replace it. You will have to submit a drawing of your hand to ensure that the gloves fit. Consider it like a custom fit.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
I had pair of alpine stars that didnt cut it(I didnt even crash). I will check those gloves out! thanks.

My rev-it's are holding up awesome, however they are a gauntlet style...and too hot for mid summer(id be curious if other member have other styles from them).

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a hard time finding gloves that fit correctly and also prefer the short cut style. I got a pair of alpinestars thunder gloves last summer and love them. Don't know how they hold up in a crash, hopefully won't ever know.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
jbwaterman - do you know the difference between the alpinestars thunder gloves and the aplinestars SPX? Those two look pretty nice as well.

Also how much riding time do you have on them? are they holding up well?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a pair of Icon 29ers - I like them and the fit and they're great for warm weather.

I definitely know what you mean about the quality though. One of the seams busted out on me and I had to pull out the needle and thread and stitch it back together. Now they're great, but yeah, quality isn't the best. I've also got a pair of (technic I think) gauntlets that come out when I ride a bit more spirited in the twisties.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That seems to be a theme of late. They also change the sizing of gloves even when they are the same model glove. I had some Astars short gloves for summer I really liked but when it came time to replace them with the same glove. They wouldn't fit right. I tried a size that I thought might work but in a day the velcro strap delaminated. A lot of expensive garbage to buy out there.
You can change that but bringing the crap right back. Most of the gloves I find have really long fingers if they fit the palm. Like they're using people that have never worked with they're hands for models and sizing.

I finally found some Icon gloves that fit right and are holding up. Icon stepped up their game on this glove. It's called the "Overlord" Geez..... but the glove is great! I would hope they continue the QC on this glove because I will deffo pick them again when it's time.
Icon Overlord Short Gloves - RevZilla
OverlordGloveShortBlackFront_detail.jpg

Last edited:

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I stopped by my local mc shop earlier and he threw me a pair of icon justice gloves and told me to try those out. I can't tell you how much I love my local shop. The fit around the cuff is a little loose and the thumb feels a little long but we'll see how they work out. Nothing beats "free"

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My rev-it's are holding up awesome, however they are a gauntlet style...and too hot for mid summer(id be curious if other member have other styles from them).

The Motoport gloves are gauntlets too, but they are made for the hot days. Plus if they ever get smelly, just throw them in the wash. You really can't do that with leather.

One thing about these gloves they will not keep your hands warm when the weather gets cold. Their Winter Kevlar Gloves is misleading, I have a pair, and they do not keep your hands warm, call it more of an intermediate glove.

Jorosv

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't want to sound ... you know how, but if it aint A-stars or Dainese it is not top notch for 8 years now i've been riding solely in one of those manufacturesrs and I have yet to see something fail, can post a picture of my 5 year old a-stars gloves that have seen more than 30K+ miles and 1 huge crash( still wearing them to this day)

Currently Wearing Dainese Newsan New jacket (amazing comfy fit extremely durable and very well ventilated)
Dainese Alien Pelle pants (feel like a pair of sports pants so easy to walk around in)
A-stars SMX-5 boots good solid boot with nice ventilation
A-stars -SP -1 gloves from 2008 (read above)

If you are in the States you guys are lucky enough to have tons of hot deals on high end gear so save up a bit and you won't regret it.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't want to sound ... you know how, but if it aint A-stars or Dainese it is not top notch for 8 years now i've been riding solely in one of those manufacturesrs and I have yet to see something fail, can post a picture of my 5 year old a-stars gloves that have seen more than 30K+ miles and 1 huge crash( still wearing them to this day)

Currently Wearing Dainese Newsan New jacket (amazing comfy fit extremely durable and very well ventilated)
Dainese Alien Pelle pants (feel like a pair of sports pants so easy to walk around in)
A-stars SMX-5 boots good solid boot with nice ventilation
A-stars -SP -1 gloves from 2008 (read above)

If you are in the States you guys are lucky enough to have tons of hot deals on high end gear so save up a bit and you won't regret it.

I know Alpine Star is great quality, I see all the race car drivers like Jimmie Johnson from Nascaar wear them.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
i have those gloves and after 10 uses they came apart that way too , so i stitched em up using some 10lb black fishing line(fireline) no worries of breakage now :)

jbwaterman84

Born to ride
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
jbwaterman - do you know the difference between the alpinestars thunder gloves and the aplinestars SPX? Those two look pretty nice as well.

Also how much riding time do you have on them? are they holding up well?

I thought that the SPX's were stiffer in the fingers, I know that I tried them at the same time and liked these better, but cant recall the specifics. I have around 4000 miles on the thunders and they still look like the day I got them, if a little dirtier (I got the white).

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Once again, get the Motoport Kevlar Racing Gloves and it will be the very last pair of gloves you will ever have to purchase. By far the best gloves ever made.

In the event you crash, and they can't repair them, they will replace it. You will have to submit a drawing of your hand to ensure that the gloves fit. Consider it like a custom fit.

I'm going to get a pair of Motoports for the summer, to go with my Phantom for the winter.:thumbup:

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I looked up the Motoport gloves, and I gotta say it, they don't appeal to me at all. And I hate the Icon justice gloves, so I'm going to just have to start going to some other stores and trying on gloves until I find a pair I'm happy with

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycle gear, especially gloves since they always seem to fall apart, is like luggage. Back in my glory days touring with entertainment, I would be out on the road 300 days out of the year. That's a lot of wear and tear on the luggage, hauling them in and out of the bus, hotels, planes, etc.

I spent as little as $150 on a suitcase and up to $750. The $150 suitcase fell apart after a few flights, so I learned my lesson on why so cheap. My expensive luggage lasted me over a decade, probably had flown a couple of 100,000 miles. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it will last, it has to be battle tested and proven. There are a lot of expensive luggage out on the market, but how I discovered what luggage to buy were from others who travelled just as much as I did, the real road warriors.

Yes, the Motorport Gloves may not look the sharpest, and may lack protection in certain areas versus other brands, but I don't know how? Kevlar has ten times more abrasion and tear resistant strength than leather. They will not fall apart for the majority of ridersfrom everyday use. Apparently, I was the only exception out of the tens of thousands sold. I'm going on my second pair after five years. I really like the fact that you can wash them anytime without compromising the strength.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Motorcycle gear, especially gloves since they always seem to fall apart, is like luggage. Back in my glory days touring with entertainment, I would be out on the road 300 days out of the year. That's a lot of wear and tear on the luggage, hauling them in and out of the bus, hotels, planes, etc.

I spent as little as $150 on a suitcase and up to $750. The $150 suitcase fell apart after a few flights, so I learned my lesson on why so cheap. My expensive luggage lasted me over a decade, probably had flown a couple of 100,000 miles. Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it will last, it has to be battle tested and proven. There are a lot of expensive luggage out on the market, but how I discovered what luggage to buy were from others who travelled just as much as I did, the real road warriors.

Yes, the Motorport Gloves may not look the sharpest, and may lack protection in certain areas versus other brands, but I don't know how? Kevlar has ten times more abrasion and tear resistant strength than leather. They will not fall apart for the majority of ridersfrom everyday use. Apparently, I was the only exception out of the tens of thousands sold. I'm going on my second pair after five years. I really like the fact that you can wash them anytime without compromising the strength.

I have a pair of Motoport gloves. I took the ugly tag off the cuff. Had to laugh because I used a razor and had a tough time getting the threads to cut because they use that tough a$$ Kevlar compound (Aramid?) thread or something like that to sew these gloves.

I had a friend go down with these gloves. As he went down the clutch lever busted and the broken left over piece, attached to the clip got driven through the thumb area of the glove. No glove will stop a sharp object like that unless it's armored. The piece just grazed his thumb leaving a nick but nothing serious. The slide he took didn't do anything to the gloves and he still uses them 3 years later.

I use them more in cooler weather here. My only complaint is the left glove has a seam where my thump joint at the palm is uncomfortable if you ride more forward as I do on my SV. The initial discomfort goes away after a few minutes. At the rate I use them I'll have a really tough glove that I can rely on no matter what ever happens to my other gloves for a long time.

If you're going to slide in a glove, this is the one to slide with.

Kevlar Racing Glove | Gloves | Motoport | 105.170

thumb.php

PurpleZJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I can appreciate that you've had a great experience with the motoport gloves. But they still don't appeal to me. And I'll definitely never buy anything over $75 without seeing it first in person to get a feel for it.