Is this the normal tickingnoise that fz6's are known for? *VIDEO*

camilolo

Reaction score
Visit site
try to use a different oil which is more gummy. If it doesn't work, try to synchronize your carbs.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
My 06 sounds exactly like the first video. I think it is normal and it has always sounded that way (6500 miles). I think if there was something wrong, we would be hearing about a lot of engine issues or breakdowns, but that is not the case. I ride with earplugs so I only hear it when I am doing an oil change.:D

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Is this the normal ticking noise that fz6's are known for? *VIDEO*

Mine's even louder too. Switching to synthetic really helped...everything - including shifting. The sound nearly always goes away whenever I pull in my clutch lever. I've noticed that the sound gets louder when my oil is getting dirty, or perhaps beginning to break down from heat, (though they say synthetic doesn't do that).
Dealer mechanic and trusted friend just laughed and said that they all do that, not to worry. I don't worry and it hasn't mattered. The darn thing just seems to get better with age!
This is a GREAT engine, nearly bullet-proof, howbeit very mechanical. It makes LOTS of noises but it just runs and runs and runs. ENJOY!

BigT_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Could it possibly be the ticking from the fuel injectors? i have the 05 fz6 which has standard can at the min and can here the injectors ticking when its idiling.
lift your tank and have a listen to the back of the engine where they are, doesnt explain why the noise was louder at the manifold though :confused:

kawwikid

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '06, that had that same ticking noise as the other '05s and '06s that I have heard. Got rid of most it when I had the R6s cams installed and timed, did a valve adjustment, and went to a manual cam chain tentioner, and got a set of block plates. Since I did all that at the same time, im not sure which cleared up most of the noise, but my bike is very quiet once warm...

Sean

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My main concern is the very rapid ticking/clicking at speed. Definitely not chain or sprocket, bit below front of tank. Almost becomes a "whirring" as it's quick. Tried to get audio of it but I don't have a microphone that allows me to eliminate the wind noise. I guess it is a faint tick/click, but once you notice it, that's all you hear.

Are the rest of you that hear a tick at idle hearing anything at speed.

Scorp

Dan E

Reaction score
Visit site
My 06 Just started making this sound this week...at 20K. I've had the bike since new and never heard it before...now I am noticing this at start up and when Im at lights if I have my ear plugs out.

mr.nick705

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an 08, and mine does the sam exact thing, and even at higher speeds, it is definately a rapid ticking like someone else said. It is very annoying lol, but even on my last bike, a 99 CBR600F4, i noticed the same thing. It was carbureted tho...

Shawn

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the video. Makes me feel better about mine ticking exactly the same way. I always questioned is my tick - the tick. I didn't notice the tick until I went to yamalube rather then the previous owners Amsoil. Next oil change I'm going back to Amsoil

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the ticking. I can hear it while i ride along.
Bare in mind when you're listening FOR something it will sound louder!

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the ticking. I can hear it while i ride along.
Bare in mind when you're listening FOR something it will sound louder!
+1 on this. I think it's always been there, but now it's all I focus on.

Attached is a vid revving to 6k to show exactly what I hear; this is primarily in 1-3rd, as any higher gear and wind noise is usually drowning it out.

Do other people hear this? Still trying to determine if I am crazy or it is something I should keep looking into...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFSfRIuuvac"]YouTube - ‪Fz6 Buzz‬‏[/ame]

Scorp

Last edited:

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
my 05 w 4500 miles has the same noise...i was worried too thank you too all for reassuring me that everything is good to go

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting up. Good to hear I'm not the only one.

Now I wonder why some bikes seem to have it, some louder than others. :)

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xjokux

Reaction score
Visit site
possibly lifters. I get them in my car. Just need to change them. Nothing tragic just gets louder if you dont.

qouted
Lifters are the devices that transfer the action of the cam lobes to the valves. Hydraulic lifters use pressurized oil to maintain zero lash (slack) between the moving parts. If a lifter fails to expand under pressure, it is known as "collapsed" and you will hear a ticking sound that will increase in frequency with rpm. Tis condition usually won't cause much of a power loss but will eventually result in a broken rocker or worse. It not hard to replace lifters but they can be expensive as they are replaced as a set.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
possibly lifters. I get them in my car. Just need to change them. Nothing tragic just gets louder if you dont.

No lifters on our bikes. The cam lobe push the valves down directly. Just a cup and shim in between the two.

Ross63

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like the injectors to me, which is absolutely normal. Mine isn't quite as loud but you can notice it if you really listen for it.