Is my Stator malfunctioning? Strange electrical clicking noise.

tedrogers

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I've just noticed that coming from the left hand side of my 2009 FZ6 S2, I am getting a strange electrical clicking sound that increases in frequency along with speed and happens if the clutch is engaged or not.

It seems to be coming from the area circled in the image, and I think this is where the Stator and Starter Motor are.

2005yamahafz6b.jpg

I only notice it if I stick my leg out to one side, because otherwise my leg blocks / absorbs the sound before it gets to my ears. It may have always been there, and I only just noticed after a year and half of ownership. I usually wear earplugs too, but haven't recently on account of the bad weather in the UK and slower speeds / short distances I do as a result.

Does this sound like I am correct? Could my Stator be on its way out?

I have it going to the dealer soon anyway, as it is still under warranty, but though I could save myself the time and fuel costs if is it normal behaviour.

Thanks a million!

Last edited:

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't understand why your stator would click, ever, as it has no moving or contacting parts. So I'd say it's not malfunctioning.

tedrogers

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for all your very useful and helpful insight. It could be any of these things I expect, but the important thing is that I've learned something today.

I expect I will try the sprocket area first, so I'll remove the plastic panel and take a peek around inside. Give the sproket a bit of a clean - can't hurt can it!

The reason I suspected it was an electrical sound and thus the stator was because the ticking / clicking sound is fairly "light", i.e. not heavy and mechanical sounding.

It could possibly be described as a bit like a tesla coil sound, but without the mad scientist reanimating Frankenhooker bit! :)

I would not know how to describe the difference between a mechanical clicking and electrical clicking, other than I suppose there is the assumption that mechanical clicking is heavier, but then if the parts were very small I suppose a mechanical click could be "light" sounding too.

I'll investigate and be sure to come back with a solution if I find one, or more likely, more problems and questions for you good people! :BLAA:

Thanks.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Is it speed related or engine rpm related?

One way to rule out the chain/sprocket noise, you could remove the cover and go for a ride. If it's louder with the cover off, you know where the sound is coming from.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Is it speed related or engine rpm related?

One way to rule out the chain/sprocket noise, you could remove the cover and go for a ride. If it's louder with the cover off, you know where the sound is coming from.

.... or put the bike in neutral, with the engine off, and spin the rear tire on the center stand.

tedrogers

Reaction score
Visit site
It seems to be speed related and NOT rpm related. This is why I did the clutch in / out test...the problem more or less remains the same...so I can rev the engine and slip the clutch..or pull the clutch right in and the problem remains.

It seems louder in 2nd than it does 1st, but is not really much different in higher gears all the way up to 6th. I have only tested this at low RPMs though, below 4000 rpm. Beyond this all I can't hear is wind noise and engine noise...and it's quite tricky watching ahead and testing for this stuff too!!

I will get the cover off the sprocket tomorrow and take her out for a spin...then we'll see if it's louder or not. I hope so, because then it will answer my question.

Although, that does then pose other questions, like why is my sprocket making that noise?:)

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
check your chain adjustment and lubrication.

it could be that if you're using a sticky chain lube there is a buildup under the sprocket cover. while the cover is off get in there and clean the gunk out.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I've just noticed that coming from the left hand side of my 2009 FZ6 S2, I am getting a strange electrical clicking sound that increases in frequency along with speed and happens if the clutch is engaged or not.

It seems to be coming from the area circled in the image, and I think this is where the Stator and Starter Motor are.

2005yamahafz6b.jpg

I only notice it if I stick my leg out to one side, because otherwise my leg blocks / absorbs the sound before it gets to my ears. It may have always been there, and I only just noticed after a year and half of ownership. I usually wear earplugs too, but haven't recently on account of the bad weather in the UK and slower speeds / short distances I do as a result.

Does this sound like I am correct? Could my Stator be on its way out?

I have it going to the dealer soon anyway, as it is still under warranty, but though I could save myself the time and fuel costs if is it normal behaviour.

Thanks a million!

If its only happening at speed its most likely the chain. There's really nothing inside the stator to click.

Also, if it was electrically a problem it would make the noise while running, STATIONARY.

Have you cleaned/ lubed the chain recently as noted above? Running in the rain/crappy conditions warrants more frequent chain maintainance.

My KLR, with the chain, just cleaned / lubed will make more noise under load (in gear, pulling) than if I were to pull in the clutch (same speed). That's with approx 14,000 miles on its second chain...

tedrogers

Reaction score
Visit site
If its only happening at speed its most likely the chain. There's really nothing inside the stator to click.

Also, if it was electrically a problem it would make the noise while running, STATIONARY.

Have you cleaned/ lubed the chain recently as noted above? Running in the rain/crappy conditions warrants more frequent chain maintainance.

My KLR, with the chain, just cleaned / lubed will make more noise under load (in gear, pulling) than if I were to pull in the clutch (same speed). That's with approx 14,000 miles on its second chain...

Interesting should say this guys, I got under the cover and sure enough there was so much gunk in there is too me nearly 15 minutes of scrapping just to get most of it off.

The chain was clean though, as I'd done this recently too.

Running with the cover off and the sprocket was indeed a lot louder...so this must be it.

I'm just not used to hearing it I guess, due to wearing plugs a lot of the time in the summer when you can ride a little more briskly than you would in the icy and wet winter conditions. (I actually cycled into work today it is so icy!!).

So thanks for your help everyone. That's cracked it for me.

P.S. Yes, the chain tension and alignment is all good. Must just be noisier when cleaned as Townsends KLR is.