Is 25.000 miles too much?

Nagash

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there guys i'm kinda new here (mostly 'cause i don't own a FZ6 yet).

First of all i would like to say "sorry" 'bout any english mistakes, it isn't my mother language.

So, going straight into the topic, my question is "is 25k miles too much for a bike like FZ6 ?"

I'm asking this because a friend (also a co-worker) and his wife are thinking about having a child next year and he offered me his '09 FZ6S once he knows i like it a lot and that i'm thinking about getting my first "big-bike" next year (i started riding around 3 years ago, first i had a Yamaha Fazer 250 and now i have a Hyosung GT250R).

So, after talking with him i asked in some forums here in Brazil what ppl say about this deal and most of them told me to look for another bike with less mileage (around 7500 miles or so) and that this one with around 25.000 miles wasn't a good deal and else (even if it's in good condition - and in fact this one is really in good condition... i know it since he bought it and he cares a lot about his FZ6S, only using K&N filters, Denso's iridium power spark plugs, synthetic oil, good gasoline and always doing maintenance at Yamaha with one of the best mechanics here in my city, and also, he mostly uses it to go to work - around 10 miles from his home - and he doesn't runs with it... his general use is around 50mph~100mph).

I dodn't undertand why excatly is a bad thing getting a mid-cc bike with kinda high mileage for these guys, i mean, i saw a Yamaha Fazer 250 (YBR 250) with 113.000 miles and it was OK. I saw a Honda NX400 Falcon with 85.000 miles and even a '99 Honda CBR900RR with 213.000 miles and all of them were working real fine, so, why they only said bad things about getting a FZ6S with 25.000 miles? It kinda "pissed" me 'cause i always dreamt about getting a FZ6.

So, what's ur words 'bout it? I mean, why is ok to buy a 10 year old 1000cc car with 25.000 miles but isn't ok (at least here) to buy a 2 years old 600cc bike with the same mileage? Or even low-cc bikes with higher mileage than this FZ6...

Thanks!

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
As long as the bike was well maintained and it wasn't beat on then 25,000 is not a problem. Of course take it for a ride make sure everything is tight and working as it should.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there guys i'm kinda new here (mostly 'cause i don't own a FZ6 yet).

First of all i would like to say "sorry" 'bout any english mistakes, it isn't my mother language.

So, going straight into the topic, my question is "is 25k miles too much for a bike like FZ6 ?"

I'm asking this because a friend (also a co-worker) and his wife are thinking about having a child next year and he offered me his '09 FZ6S once he knows i like it a lot and that i'm thinking about getting my first "big-bike" next year (i started riding around 3 years ago, first i had a Yamaha Fazer 250 and now i have a Hyosung GT250R).

So, after talking with him i asked in some forums here in Brazil what ppl say about this deal and most of them told me to look for another bike with less mileage (around 7500 miles or so) and that this one with around 25.000 miles wasn't a good deal and else (even if it's in good condition - and in fact this one is really in good condition... i know it since he bought it and he cares a lot about his FZ6S, only using K&N filters, Denso's iridium power spark plugs, synthetic oil, good gasoline and always doing maintenance at Yamaha with one of the best mechanics here in my city, and also, he mostly uses it to go to work - around 10 miles from his home - and he doesn't runs with it... his general use is around 50mph~100mph).

I dodn't undertand why excatly is a bad thing getting a mid-cc bike with kinda high mileage for these guys, i mean, i saw a Yamaha Fazer 250 (YBR 250) with 113.000 miles and it was OK. I saw a Honda NX400 Falcon with 85.000 miles and even a '99 Honda CBR900RR with 213.000 miles and all of them were working real fine, so, why they only said bad things about getting a FZ6S with 25.000 miles? It kinda "pissed" me 'cause i always dreamt about getting a FZ6.

So, what's ur words 'bout it? I mean, why is ok to buy a 10 year old 1000cc car with 25.000 miles but isn't ok (at least here) to buy a 2 years old 600cc bike with the same mileage? Or even low-cc bikes with higher mileage than this FZ6...

Thanks!

I don't think 25k miles that was well maitained is much at all. Many members of this forum have over double that mileage on their bikes. If the deal sounds good, I'd go for it. What price is he asking?

Nagash

Reaction score
Visit site
Of course take it for a ride make sure everything is tight and working as it should.
Last year i did it and the bike was perfect... i don't think it changed but sure i'll do it again if we're going to close de deal.

I don't think 25k miles that was well maitained is much at all. Many members of this forum have over double that mileage on their bikes. If the deal sounds good, I'd go for it. What price is he asking?

well.. here in Brazil the average price for a 2009 FZ6S is from U$14.000 to U$17.000 (a 0km in 2009 was U$ 20.000)... so, we didn't set a price on it but i guess we'll fix it around U$14.000 (plus U$600 i'll have to spent on new tyres + 25.000 miles revision). The paying method will be this one: i'll sell my Hyosung GTR250 for around U$7500 and give it to him and the rest i'll pay directly to him every month (around U$300 every month).

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My '07 will be hitting 25K within another week or so, and I have every expectation to be riding it 5 more years from now. You know its history, go for it! :thumbup:

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's fine if the bike has been serviced properly and not abused. Heck, you'll find Beemers on that guy's list with [at least] three times that mileage all the time. If a manufacturer wants it's bikes to be taken seriously, they better plan on 100K plus as the norm.

g8anos

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm currently at 101.500 km and it runs like a charm...

Better than new! So no, if properly maintained, 25k is not to much!