iPhone and Riding...

IndyFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
How about an app that tells you to pull off the road to answer the phone?? Keep your attention focused on the road and all the cagers around you who are focusing on THEIR iphones and such instead of driving.:spank:

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 IndyF6. My iPhone goes in the tank bag and I'll return calls/text messages/eMails when I stop for a break.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Indeed I use my iPhone sometimes as I'm riding (turn by turn GPS, music, and phone calls (only if I consider them important, and that is based on the person calling me - I do have different ringtones assigned to specific contacts).

I was looking for something like this but more on the sense of convenience (laziness) as I stop and I need to look for some information, Ex. I want to find out where the closest gas station is, find a specific business, etc. in the way that I can ask the phone (speak) and the phone can answer me back, without me having to reach for the phone, getting my gloves off and trying to touch/read/see the screen as I communicate with my phone using the SENA SMH10.
I wanted to do this handsfree but I have not found so far an application that will do that.

I did find this website Free Mobile App Stops Texting While Driving - DriveSafe.ly (iPhone app coming soon!!!) and I do not know how good/convenient/safe this could be.
As I'm riding I'm concentrating on riding and also, as IndyFZ6 wrote, "all the cagers around you who are focusing on THEIR iphones and such instead of driving"

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree that you should devote all your attention to riding.

I have a chatterbox and can call last number dialed and receive calls through my Bluetooth as well as GMRS. Hardly ever use it mobile but when I do a quick stop I can call without ungearing and it is nice to have in a rolling emergency.
The Chatterbox has a headset and mic. that has been installed and stays in the helmet.

Here's a short video up near Idyllwild, Ca in the mountains. I was riding with a group and we were very quick up the mountain on 243 coming up from Banning.
This road starts out great with virtually no place for cars or drive ways but as you climb you'll notice a car or two in a pull out where there are scenic views.
As we were getting into these populated areas with pullouts I decided to back off. It's a terrible feeling to see your friends down. At the end you can hear me yelling to the rest of the group (GMRS radios) we're riding with that are behind us coming up the mountain, "Rider down!" The rider with the radio got the the group slowed down.

Technology is great when used properly and I've heard the call, "rider down" myself and it was the bike just ahead of me in a blind turn. I slowed as soon as I heard the call and sure enough!

The guy on the left on the ground has a new titanium wrist and he broke his pelvis. The guy to the right with the R1 got bruised up pretty good.

Apps!? I don't need no stinkin apps man!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAAmdw48voY]YouTube - Riders Down.wmv[/ame]

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
google app lets you do voice searches and works really good, but one button activation thru headphones is not possible as far as i know..apple need to put at least one customizable button option on the iphone, which you can link to your iphone headset button as well..

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Am I the only one who enjoys getting AWAY from cell phones? Stuffing your phone in your tail bag and then just enjoying your ride....

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site

Amorousnerdium

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.jasonwoodcock.biz
Lol nice mount. My concern is that I always text and make plans to meet up with someone, stow my phone in my jacket, put my headphones on, hit play, ride to my destination, only to find out that the person had text me back saying they would be late or change locations.

Now, I am 100 percent against doing anything that would require me to take my eyes off the road or occupy my hands with anything other than riding. So, of my phone would automatically pick up through the headphones I'm listing to (iPhone headphones have a built in mic), or read my incoming texts to me, that would be fine. I had an app on my blackberry that would do just that, but I couldn't find it for iPhone. Drive Safe.ly I think was the name of it.

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
So let's say I have some compelling reason to be on the phone while riding in to work, like being able to take conference calls. Not my first choice, but something that would make work/life MUCH easier by letting me leave later in the day (dropping off my daughter @ the nanny's house can't happen til 8am or later).

I don't often have to say much on the calls, but sometimes I do. As it stands now I could just throw the work cell in the tank bag, start the call, put in earbuds, mute the cell, and ride away. I'd be able to hear fine (I've done this mutliple times bicycling), but wouldn't be able to speak. Anyone used a bluetooth helmet com system that cut out wind noise, worked decently, etc? I could mount the phone and mute it manually with the top corner button, if wind noise was coming through.

Just curious.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't used a Bluetooth Communicator, but this has peaked my attention. It uses microphones in the speakers to pick up your voice rather than a boom mike.

dolau

Reaction score
Visit site
I just listen to music on mine- I have 2 days of music on my Ipod and I put it on shuffle and loud with ear buds and I am away everything from Gordon Lightfoot to Mettalica and I never know what is coming next so I can concentrate on my riding with a muscial accompanyment