intake air temp.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
That little air intake temp sensor in the bottom left of the airbox, does that give its information to the ECU? I know you can scroll thru and get that to display on the gauge cluster.
If that is the case then would moving the sensor to a different location in the airbox (to a cooler place like say in front of the airfilter) tell the engine to run richer/leaner and give any more power?

just spitballin a few little things,
tbh I dont really want/need to move the sensor but its just somethin I was thinkin about because I think about crap like that :BLAA:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You could also use one of those inline resistors that fool the ECU into thinking it's getting cooler air. (you see them everywhere for cars)

Be a lot easier than moving the sensor.

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: Link discussing what it does and why it (allegedly) works.

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And here is an eBay auction selling one that seems tailored for our bikes. (plug and play)

It promises 15HP+!!

Take that with a grain of salt, but it'd be a LOT easier than moving the sensor, for the same effect.

Cheers,
Rick

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I believe the "+15BHP" in the name is the trademark name of the product not a claim of increase HP. This way they get around possible lawsuits.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe the "+15BHP" in the name is the trademark name of the product not a claim of increase HP. This way they get around possible lawsuits.

Understood iSteve, but in the advert., it says "Power is increased by up to 15BHP and torque is increased significantly."

Obviously the 'up to' covers them when you don't see the same results, and I wouldn't for a second think it'd give the FZ that kind of increase, but I was merely trying to show the OP there was an easier way for the ECU 'seeing' cooler temperatures, than to move the air sensor.

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Understood iSteve, but in the advert., it says "Power is increased by up to 15BHP and torque is increased significantly."

Obviously the 'up to' covers them when you don't see the same results, and I wouldn't for a second think it'd give the FZ that kind of increase, but I was merely trying to show the OP there was an easier way for the ECU 'seeing' cooler temperatures, than to move the air sensor.

Cheers,
Rick
It's a bit like where I live and they claim broad band speeds of up to 8mb a second.
The reality is I get 1mb if I am lucky.
The question still stands would moving the sensor within the bike make a difference?

Nelly

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Unless you took the sensor and mounted it on your headlight I don't think anywhere you could put it would make much of a difference, maybe +-5 tops

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
or what I could do is get a mini refrigerator, plug it into my power source, and mount the sensor in there! brilliant!
lol jk.
it was just an idea I had been toying with and wasnt sure exactly what it would do....but thanks for the input!
love always, your favorite whore, yamihoe :D

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
or what I could do is get a mini refrigerator, plug it into my power source, and mount the sensor in there! brilliant!

If you're gonna do that, why go half-arsed?

Get one of those Frigmobile refrigerated semi trailers, run a longer wire from the airbox, down the trailer yoke, into about the middle of the trailer.

You'll definitely see better incoming air temps!

(and if you REALLY want to go hard-core, put an intake pipe, or even a intercooler in the trailer, to cool the incoming air.)

Apart from the fact you'll not be able to move the bike because of the 15t (empty) trailer behind you, it'd DEFINITELY improve performance!

Cheers,
Rick

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why do you think that giving incorrect information to the ECU is going to somehow cause the bike to run better?

Because if the ECU thinks the incoming air temperature is lower (cooler air is more dense, has more oxygen), then it injects more fuel (trying to maintain the same O2 to fuel ratio), thus more power.

Cheers,
Rick

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're gonna do that, why go half-arsed?

Get one of those Frigmobile refrigerated semi trailers, run a longer wire from the airbox, down the trailer yoke, into about the middle of the trailer.

You'll definitely see better incoming air temps!

(and if you REALLY want to go hard-core, put an intake pipe, or even a intercooler in the trailer, to cool the incoming air.)

Apart from the fact you'll not be able to move the bike because of the 15t (empty) trailer behind you, it'd DEFINITELY improve performance!

Cheers,
Rick

I like your style :thumbup: