Insurance Questions

wopspice

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking at getting a new bike and the 2008 FZ6 is right at the top of my list. However I got a quick price quote from Geico (my current policy holder). Right now I pay $250/yr on a '79 Honda...full coverage minus the comp/collision. I kept those same coverages but added comp/collision with 1000 deductable to the FZ6 quote and got a quote of $2700! For comparison here are some other bikes I looked at:

SV650 - $1000
Ducati GT1000 - $1700
Ninja 650r - $1000
Kawi Z1000 - $1700

Granted I live in Los Angeles but I can't believe the FZ6 is coming out a $1000 more than a Duc or Z1000. I made sure I wasnt looking at the FZ1 or R6. I was under the impression this bike was less to insure than most...or at least on the same level as the SV or Ninja. Besides dropping coverage, any advice? Or are you all in the same boat relatively speaking?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. As an official member you can take advantage of the many features that is offered only to members, and the search function is one of them. Insurance, Oil, Fuel, etc, the basic subjects all have been discussed and discussed, you will find many threads relating to Insurance, and what we all pay. I have provided a link for you to help navigate thru this forum.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/faq.php

Todd08

Molly and Jacks Dad
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I live in NC and have insurance through nationwide. I was originally told by them that all yamaha bikes beginning with FZ were rated as sport bikes (because of the engine and faring). I brought my agent a picture of the bike and asked for a second quote based on the limited faring and the fact that the bike is a sport touring and nationwide agreed to re-rate the bike. My second quote for comp and (i think) liability was about 300 bucks a year. Keep in mind that I live in Pinehurst, NC and I have been with Nationwide for about 8 years. The point is if the FZ is the bike you want, it may pay off to argue the point that it is billed and sold as a sport/touring bike, not a crotch rocket. Hope this helps......and welcome to the sight, its a great online community.:thumbup:

Todd

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ive had Allstate for almost twenty years and they could not even come close to Progressive for the same coverage on the bikes. Don't really understand why that is, especially since I haven't even gotten a ticket since 1992! Go figure. Needless to say, I went with Progressive on the motorcycles.

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's what geico told me. They enter the vin into the computer to get the rate. So, I went from an R6 to an FZ6 and still pay the same premium. Their way of rationalizing is this, entering the vin comes up with sport bike, bike has a 600cc engine, and aluminum frame, sounds like the same thing as an R6. I don't agree with it either, but they claim thats their policy. Geico is cheaper for me on liability but progressive would be cheaper for comp/collision. I'm seriously thinking about going to progressive for comp/collision.

sweber_7

Reaction score
Visit site
I live in wisconsin and am 17 years old with a clean driving record and i pay $1000 a year for full coverage.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in SoCal also and I found AAA to be pretty cheap for full coverage. Clean record, mine was $450/year with full coverage and $250 deductible. I'd shop around. I remember Geico and Progressive both being rediculously expensive for me when I first priced them both.

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
i live in NY and have been riding since 2005. Geico is pretty funny claiming how good their rates are. Fact is here in NY they are HORRIBLE and crazily overpriced. ive used dairlyland, foremost, and progressive so far. shop around. due diligence.

J

jsteinb95

Geico should be sued for false advertising....they are not cheap. Try Progressive....I think I was paying $500 a year.

How long have you been licensed and how old are you?

BTW :welcome:

Thorpiticus

Reaction score
Visit site
As a 21-year-old new rider, I got $450 basic coverage from a no-name company. Geico was by far the most competitive larger company, while Progressive asked for my left arm, leg and my first-born son. Kinda hard to shift with no left limbs, so I went with the no-name.

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
Granted I live in Los Angeles but I can't believe the FZ6 is coming out a $1000 more than a Duc or Z1000. I made sure I wasnt looking at the FZ1 or R6. I was under the impression this bike was less to insure than most...or at least on the same level as the SV or Ninja. Besides dropping coverage, any advice? Or are you all in the same boat relatively speaking?

I'm in LA also. Got the same number as you indicated. Geico has to pay for all that advertising.

AAA was the cheapest.

hoser183

Member Minimus
Reaction score
www.reflectiveessence.com
Count yourself lucky that you at least have insurance options... poor us here in British Columbia can ONLY get insurance through our government insurer, ICBC.:Flip:
My yearly premium is $2650, I have an 8 year totally clean driving record, am 34 years old, and live in a town with <10,000 people.
Ridiculous!

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Count yourself lucky that you at least have insurance options... poor us here in British Columbia can ONLY get insurance through our government insurer, ICBC.:Flip:
My yearly premium is $2650, I have an 8 year totally clean driving record, am 34 years old, and live in a town with <10,000 people.
Ridiculous!

There are no private insurance companies there? Hell, I'd risk it without insurance if they charged me that much for insurance. That's like paying a third of the bike each year just in case something happens to it. Not worth it in my opinion.

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
I have country companies and full coverage is $250 a year. With $250 dollar deductible and $50,000/$100,000/$50,000 coverage. Progressive quoted me at $1600 a year and geico at $2000 a year. Figure that out. Geico and progressive are both rip offs.:Flip:to both of them!!

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Quit knocking Geico! Their caveman commercials, and their other commericals are entertaining. Especially, the caveman ones. Aren't they great? But, yeay, their rates SUCK! As mellowfelow remarked: they have to pay for all of those near constant TV commercials, you know. Geico's rates are astronomical (at least for my FZ6 quote). Will keep watching the caveman commercials though.

pmdepr

Reaction score
Visit site
I went with Allstate. Their rates used to be horrible but they seem to be making an attempt to be competitive. They had many discounts for MSF classes, good driver and even switching from Progressive. In the end I ended up at $240 with $1000 ded., which is over $100 cheaper than what Progressive wanted. Which is funny because they were much cheaper than Allstate on my GS500E.

Reaction score
Visit site
Quit knocking Geico! Their caveman commercials, and their other commericals are entertaining. Especially, the caveman ones. Aren't they great? But, yeay, their rates SUCK! As mellowfelow remarked: they have to pay for all of those near constant TV commercials, you know. Geico's rates are astronomical (at least for my FZ6 quote). Will keep watching the caveman commercials though.

It takes a lot of money to get a gecko to talk......GRUMPY