Installed a PCIII today with Leo Vince map...

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
My mileage definitely went down quite a bit. I did the numbers right after I installed it and ran through a few tanks. I think I was tripping reserve right around 140 miles; but after fill up still had almost 1.5 gallons left in the tank.

I'd say I'm getting around 40MPG, and I don't ride that crazy but I do get on it on the highway every now and again. Before the PCIII I was getting around 45MPG or so.

JeffD

Reaction score
Visit site
My mileage definitely went down quite a bit. I did the numbers right after I installed it and ran through a few tanks. I think I was tripping reserve right around 140 miles; but after fill up still had almost 1.5 gallons left in the tank.

I'd say I'm getting around 40MPG, and I don't ride that crazy but I do get on it on the highway every now and again. Before the PCIII I was getting around 45MPG or so.
Thanks Tick, that's not as big of a difference as I thought it was going to be but I suspect it has to do with the map you have in, among other things. But sticking to the mileage thing, sounds like you have a nice mix. Thanks for the info.

Erci: "They did just that.. no change to fuel economy; bike still ran perfectly; sounder a heck of a lot better / looked better and dropped 10 pounds of weight. No noticeable change to performance.. good or bad."
10 Pounds?!?!?! Nice! I figured they had to weigh less but haven't seen good numbers to prove to myself. No CAT, less crap, nice cans, good sound. I like it! :D

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I put a PCIIIusb on my bike, ran it for 3 tanks to get an average, and pulled the bloody thing off.

The tips on my Scorps were black she was running so rich. My fuel economy sucked, big time - so I took them off and trusted the Scorps allegation that they were designed to be used without a PC.

That was 20 000kms ago, and no ill effects of running just the Scorp with no PC.

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. Yes, I tried different maps - the 'zero' map, the 'Scorps' map, and the dyno generated map from the guy I bought the Scorps off - all made it run VERY rich.

JeffD

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you sir! (Mave) I had read some of your previous posts related to this and was curious if the Leo's, and most aftermarket cans, were about the same in reference. I believe I understand the smoothness & crispness that can come with a PC, but I think I'll be in your boat with nice new cans that weigh less and don't really mess with what Yamaha designed. Thanks again!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I'll be in your boat with nice new cans that weigh less and don't really mess with what Yamaha designed.

I should mention that mine were the original SBK Carbon.. not sure if the new system is the same, weight-wise.
Found my original post when I weighed OEM vs Leo. I exaggerated the weight savings a bit:

Stock: 18.2 lbs
Leo: 10.25 lbs

Still pretty damn good!

JeffD

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Erci, I may have read one of your older posts or another's about the numbers, think it was you. Good to know the Stock is 18.2. That gives me a benchmark when I spec my new ones... someday. I'd probably go with the Stainless Steel, the lesser expensive of the options. Not that interested in the CF really.

Erci, does 18.2 pounds include from the CAT connection at the Headers back to the exhaust box & plastic shrouds? I presume so since that's what comes out if you get the "CAT Delete" pipe, which I would :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Erci, does 18.2 pounds include from the CAT connection at the Headers back to the exhaust box & plastic shrouds? I presume so since that's what comes out if you get the "CAT Delete" pipe, which I would :D

Yup, 18.2 is everything back of the header.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I put a PCIIIusb on my bike, ran it for 3 tanks to get an average, and pulled the bloody thing off.

The tips on my Scorps were black she was running so rich. My fuel economy sucked, big time - so I took them off and trusted the Scorps allegation that they were designed to be used without a PC.

That was 20 000kms ago, and no ill effects of running just the Scorp with no PC.

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. Yes, I tried different maps - the 'zero' map, the 'Scorps' map, and the dyno generated map from the guy I bought the Scorps off - all made it run VERY rich.
I did the same with the Bazzaz, I feel the bike has plenty of power and if I want to go faster...twist a little more. Plus, I like the 200+ mpt I get.

Last edited:

gocartone

Reaction score
Visit site

Both of those maps are by far the worst you can use, and they usually only tune WOT on the dyno. IIRC they both add 20%+ fuel across the board in the 0-50% throttle range when they shouldn't be adding any. This is what I was talking about with people getting the wrong idea because of horrible stock Power Commander tunes.

JeffD

Reaction score
Visit site
.... Plus, I like the 200+ mpg I get.

Dude, How are you getting 200+ Miles Per Gallon??? WOOOOOO! :D
Yeah, 200+ Miles Per Tank, I'm on it :D Got a kick out of it though!

So you're either happy with the cans alone, or you spend some time figuring out which map works best for you. Still not sure the PC's worth it. Thanks guys!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dude, How are you getting 200+ Miles Per Gallon??? WOOOOOO! :D
Yeah, 200+ Miles Per Tank, I'm on it :D Got a kick out of it though!

So you're either happy with the cans alone, or you spend some time figuring out which map works best for you. Still not sure the PC's worth it. Thanks guys!
Good catch! I had a couple thoughts goin on at the time, somehow mixed them:spank: