In search for a "Sub cowling / bug spoiler / lower cowling"

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I searched the forum for a while, but most of these threads seemed to be about the lower fairing (full cowling).

But I want a sub cowling (called many different things as the headline reads). I hope there's not a "Sticker" somewhere I missed about this otherwise let me know.

Anyone with great suggestions?

The Yamaha low cowling looks quite good, but it's a bit more expensive of course, and seems like it's no longer being sold officially in Denmark anyways.

I googled it alot and the favorite for now has to be JMV (199 Euro):

http://www.motobike-schmidt.de/shop...=yamaha-fz6-bj-0406-jmv-bugspoiler-unlackiert

But how could it be for only 2005 models an forward? Why on earth shouldn't it fit a 2004 model? I thought everything between 2004 to 2005/6 should fit? :confused:
This page says it does fit though - but more expensive.
https://www.bike-design.com/detail....ory=0&shp_make=9&shp_model=5722&shp_year=2004

Other ideas could be Topline (a bit vulgar perhaps?) => https://www.bike-design.com/detail....ory=0&shp_make=9&shp_model=5722&shp_year=2004
The PUIG looks a bit too pointy perhaps to match the Fazer front? > http://www.motobike-schmidt.de/shop...a-fz6&osCsid=28cf4be09bdca6efc4862b4a8c08d387

I realize I have to add a little cash to have it painted, but I got the whole winther to make that happen. I prefer European companies so customs doesn't stungun me for overseas tax when I pickup the package. :spank:

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
They're normally called belly pans mate.

For 2004-2009, a belly pan will fit them all whichever year it says. There are differences between the 200-2006 and the 2007-2009, but not with lower engine mounting points etc. The third party manufacturers aren't always aware of the differences between bike years and either don't update enough or don't want to risk saying it will fit the newer/older models in case people take that as gospel and bitch.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: In search for a "Sub cowling / bug spoiler / lower cowling" (+ Belly pan)

Hey Sanger!

Well what they are called all depends on where I looked (English isn't my 1st language) - and oops forgot the Belly Pan option.

That is VERY usefull info that belly pans in general fit them all from 2004-2009. :rolleyes:

Hard to fint really good pics though - and I don't want a belly pan without a buttom so the lowest (and dull) part of the exhaust is not hidden.

Last edited:

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought that same pan off ebay for $65 shipped....seller's name is italmotoparts . I guess mine was unpainted though.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought that same pan off ebay for $65 shipped....seller's name is italmotoparts . I guess mine was unpainted though.

That JMV looks sweet... thanks for posting so I could check out your profile picture. It's actually kind of hard to find pictures of the whole bike and lower fairings / belly pan etc. etc.

The 2004 blue FZ6 has 2 (or 3?) different blue colours. Still wondering if it would look best to paint the belly pan the same colour as the fueltank or the darker colour from the upper fairing and front fender.
I might aswell try to paint the rear fender (including chain protector) while I was at it. Takes a little attention away from the rather dull swingarm. I saw another forum member had put a large sticker on the rear swingarm (I think it was Dunlop or something), but since I ride on Michelin's for the time being that would look silly. Perhaps Yamaha would hand over a pair of large YAMAHA stickers for free.

Synr

Reaction score
Visit site
I like my Ermax. The fit is good and the quality is excellent. They have it available painted in Yamaha colors. I can't comment on the color/paint quality, as I got mine unpainted.

MOTOEVOLUTION

They show two different styles for 2004-2006 and 2007-2009. I have a "2007-2009" design on my 2004 bike, so don't worry about the different years. Also, it works with the center stand.

Cheers!

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Synr + chemicalsmile

How does your Ermax/JMV cover the bottom of the exhaust. If you stood a couple of meters from the bike (or 15 ft or whatever), would you be able to see a rather large part of the horisontal bottom of the exhaust under the belly pan (of course except down front where the belly pan wraps around the 4-1 pipe).
All hard to see from the pics I found but seems like JMV does the job best (of the above mentioned). I think i like the look of the JMV best aswell!?

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Puig FTW!

IMG_1295-1.jpg

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
This is the Yamaha one.
Its the same style as I had on my 04.

Nothing wrong with the look of the original Yamaha belly pan... I guess I am just trying to save a bit of money where I can. If I could even find a belly pan that looks better (I think the JMV does), and save a bunch of money then why not!

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
Started this threat last year... so just wanted to end it.

Bought the original Yamaha belly pan. Turned out Yamaha must have dumped the price on this particular part during Winther... and this made it an easy choice for me!... same price as most of the belly pans I have been looking at, and I didn't even have to paint it myself!
I am pretty sure that the price was about 350 Euro and now down at 250 Euro :cheer: