In case you haven't bought my xmas present yet...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Amazon.com : Garmin 010-01232-01 Zumo 590LM : GPS & Navigation

81kf-B9PJQL._SL1500_.jpg

The new Garmin has a feature that will choose the roads with the most curves in them on your way to your destination, neat!

And it's less than $900!! :eek:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately the media player (MP3) in my 590 just died and got sent back to Garmin for a re-furbed unit yesterday..

I got mine for about $750 new from Garmin...(Had an old SP3, still registered I got credit for)

Prior to this, I love the unit, very visible in bright sunshine, worked great.... Just No tunes....:(

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Tomtom rider has had the curvy roads thing for years, I worked with the guy who wrote it ;)

not sure how well it actually finds them in the real world though

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've always wanted to create a rated R version for the turn by turn navigation. You know, miss the turn and it would scold you calling you all sorts of names using foul language because the GPS has to recalculate.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Got a link? Sounds pretty cool.

For those that use motorcycle specific GPS units - what is the biggest draw vs. using your phone? Or are there a number of things?

There's a number of things, many which I won't use.. First off, its water proof. I've been caught in a super heavy Florida rain going about 30 miles out last summer and the unit worked fine and very visible in the hard rain.

On the 590, when in the navigation mode, and the stereo on, it'll turn down the MP3 volume when the voice gives you directions to turn. It gives you what lane you need to be in. It does have toothless ability(I don't use) so you can sync your phone into the unit and talk on the phone while underway. Say you have a Goldwing with the built in CD player. You can tie the CD player into the unit and listen thru the GPS/toothless, etc.

You can also tie your phone into the unit with Pandora(I don't) should you need more music.

There is the ability to add a 32 gig card, which I added, but didn't use. The stock 590 has the entire US loaded, (IN DETAIL) and I loaded about 12 full stereo albums with room to spare.

It has all the options, curvy roads, avoid tolls, fastest routes,auto zoom (if set), etc. The bigger roads have up to date speed limits displayed and IME, have always been accurate. When it starts "acting funky", it needs an update which is very easy to do once you have Garmins program loaded... The unit will still work W/O the update (so you won't get stranded

The biggest thing for me was the screen visibility in bright sunlight. It does NOT wash out but should be adjusted UP just slightly more than the FZ dash for best visibility...

I made up a bracket where I can lock the the unit (small lock, but you can't get to it with a cutting tool).

The one downside is it comes with a VERY LONG "octopus" wiring harness. With the fared version of the FZ, I was able to tuck it in the nose nice and neat.

A couple of pic's of my set up:
The locking bracket: (you have to push that rectangular button in to release the unit. My "luggage lock" prevents that from happening).

The "octopus"

A side view:

Last edited:

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone know if it has a Nigela Lawson voice option?

uploadfromtaptalk1450958385758.jpg

Apart from the "curviest route" I'm not sure what would make me choose that over my phone.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
First off, its water proof. I've been caught in a super heavy Florida rain going about 30 miles out last summer and the unit worked fine and very visible in the hard rain.
]

I guess the main advantage then seems to be that it's waterproof. Absolutely key for people who ride regardless of the weather, but I'm pretty fair weather. My phone has all the other options. I've read that some (all?) of the motorcycle GPS units use resistive screens which operate via pressure. This is in contrast to the capacitive screens that pretty much every phone has nowadays that rely on the conductivity of your skin to touch the screen. I've found that some phones will still workwith gloves on, but the interface is not perfect. Some gloves are coming with conductive thread, or you can use fluid to make them conductive. Other phones have a "glove mode" that will bump up the sensitivity so you can use them better with gloves.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
My phone is waterproof, and has the glove mode thingy. The only thing is the screen view in sunshine. But to be honest, on the bike I prefer just listening to voice commands through the headset, so the phone is usually in my pocket, or tucked away in the tank bag if it's charging off the engine.

I think a "proper gucci" bike specific satnav would be a "nice to have" when the Mrs goes back to work. I don't think it's something I need.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk