Improving the sound of a stock 05 FZ6 on a budget?

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
So I've been browsing and searching and reading the forum... apparently, to improve the sound, the best option would be an aftermarket exhaust, which is out of the question as budget can't handle such hit right now.

So, I guess here are the only other options I found:

1) cutting the airbox: don't want to do that, lot's of contradictory opinions.

2) drilling the stock exhaust: maybe

3) replacing the stock air filter with K&N

My question is regarding option 3: is this going to change the sound, and how noticeable is it? Anyone with first hand experience?

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I vote just drill out the stock exhaust. Its easy and sounds decent and its FREE. I havent done it yet but numerous youtube vids sound pretty good with it drilled. One even shows you how to do it.

I myself will most likely go the full debaffle route courtesy of member Motogiro. Search "PRC fz6" on youtube and that is the sound im going for.

Air filter is pricey and lots of different opinions on if its louder because it lets too much extra stuff go in the engine, and also some have reported needing some kidn of fuel management to fix the messed up a/f ratio. That could get pricey.

But im a newb so thats just my opinion. GLHF

lazerfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
makes it a little louder and gruntier, but it isnt a difference where you could post up a Youtube vid comparing stock vs K&N (you wouldnt be able to notice via youtube, but in real life it is a little louder)

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess it all comes down to drilling the stock exhaust VS k&n air filter as apparently I can't have both without regulating fuel/air mixture.

So which one should I go for? Does drilling the exhaust make a bigger difference in the tone, or the air filter upgrade is just as good for that purpose?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

AlexL

Shiny Side Up
Reaction score
Visit site
Cut off the stock muffler and bolt on a short straight through muffler purchased on ebay for $50. :rockon:

ReapeR

Reaction score
Visit site
before i bought my scorpions i took the stock one off and cut the top side off and gutted it out then welded a plate back over the hole. it sounded decent, but i try to find a set of slip ons on ebay or somewhere first. you might get lucky and find sumthing good and cheap.

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I'm confused! Just got home with a long masonry 3/4 drill, ready to drill that can! I look with the flashlight---there's nothing to drill! It's like a straight pipe, about 1 inch all the way 12 inch or so inside, at which point it makes a turn. I'm confused! What's up with that? Was it drilled before I got the bike or what?!?! CONFUSION!!!

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
There's actually 2 chambers in there. The pipe comes in on the right side, runs through a chamber, there's a outlet on the left side of that wall. That's the chamber with the two outlet pipes.

If you see the inlet pipe, it goes back quite a ways and will be on the right. If you see it on the left, that's the middle wall. That middle wall is what you're drilling out, essentially removing the middle baffle. Look at the pics of people gutting their stock exhaust. That will let you know what you're drilling.

If all you see is the back of the exhaust, there should be weld marks on the top from when someone removed the baffle.

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
I drilled it! I saw the pics here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/29781-stock-muffler-drilling-vs-performance.html#post310036

Looked exactly like mine, so I made the two 3/4 inch holes! It definitely sounds better, in fact---much better, lol! Now I really want to make the hole a little bit bigger (7/8), but the local store doesn't have such a big drill bit. But still, the difference is unbelievable! Highly recommend this free mod if you don't have the cash for aftermarket exhaust.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
You would probably have a hard time drilling a 7/8 with masonary bit....should get a regular one next time

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm...took the bike for a long ride this evening...I don't know if it's my imagination or what, but somewhat I feel like it has less power. Is it possible to loose power by just drilling the stock exhaust?

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm...took the bike for a long ride this evening...I don't know if it's my imagination or what, but somewhat I feel like it has less power. Is it possible to loose power by just drilling the stock exhaust?

Pull the battery negative and make the ecu relearn :)