Importance of T-CLOCS

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Just wanted to post a reminder to everyone out there. Stepped out to ride the canyons today and I was eyeing the rubber as i put my gloves on.

I noticed something that looked like a cut on my rear tire. Quickly i checked the pressure and it was 1.5 psi lower than ideal. So I applied the spit test (yeah gross) and sure enough a bubble formed where the hole is.

Pre ride check possibly saved me a wrecked bike if not worse. Dont forget to do yours!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^what he said but im curious...looking at the pics the tire looks good to me...what do you mean you needed a new one?

Sent from my Pocket Rocket with Tapatalk

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
^^^what he said but im curious...looking at the pics the tire looks good to me...what do you mean you needed a new one?

I think the same

1/3 in the center is right on the wear bars from commuting. It just started slipping on wet. I would give myself only few more weeks on that tire. I know its sad to see all that edge meat go to waste though :D

trailhead

Motorcyclist
Reaction score
Visit site
1/3 in the center is right on the wear bars from commuting. It just started slipping on wet. I would give myself only few more weeks on that tire. I know its sad to see all that edge meat go to waste though :D

Unfortunately(?) we live in an area where we can ride during parts of the winter so we sometimes need to change what might other wise be a "good enough" tire so we can continue riding during the winter. I'd ride it a lot longer if it was summer but I'm with McLovin, needed to be changed.

trailhead :iconbeer:

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately(?) we live in an area where we can ride during parts of the winter so we sometimes need to change what might other wise be a "good enough" tire so we can continue riding during the winter. I'd ride it a lot longer if it was summer but I'm with McLovin, needed to be changed.

trailhead :iconbeer:

True. Also :rof: at your avatar lol :D:D

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
I have to confess that I had no idea what T-CLOCS was until I looked it up.

I've been riding on the street for over 27 years now, and always try to do a pre-ride checklist of some sort, so it was interesting to see what MSF says.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good eye. Was the ride home any different? Did you check PSI when you got back? I'm curious how much air you may have lost with the tire at normal operating temp.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Good eye. Was the ride home any different? Did you check PSI when you got back? I'm curious how much air you may have lost with the tire at normal operating temp.

Im pretty sure he didnt go riding after seeing that

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice catch. Good reason to check air pressure before setting out an a ride. I always give each tire the "hand test" to be sure they appear to be holding correct pressure before my short commute ride and always check the air pressure prior to a spirited or longer ride.

Don't overlook check the brake calipers as well as I've had a bolt that holds the caliper to the bracket on one of the fronts loosen up after awhile.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site

I've been riding on the street for over 27 years now, and always try to do a pre-ride checklist of some sort, so it was interesting to see what MSF says.

I have to confess too, I had to look up the right spelling of it. Its been 5 years since I took MSF. :D They have some more cool mnemonics listed on their page.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Im pretty sure he didnt go riding after seeing that

I put them to ideal 33-36 before my last ride which was last Sunday, didn't check the pressure when I got home after that.

So between Sunday and Saturday it lost 1.5 PSI, not sure at which point of the ride I got the hole, but including the ride and being on the center-stand for 5 days it lost only 1.5.

From the look of the hole, I must have picked up a nail and then launched it on the way home. I'm surprised I didn't get an immediate flat.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice catch. Good reason to check air pressure before setting out an a ride. I always give each tire the "hand test" to be sure they appear to be holding correct pressure before my short commute ride and always check the air pressure prior to a spirited or longer ride.

Don't overlook check the brake calipers as well as I've had a bolt that holds the caliper to the bracket on one of the fronts loosen up after awhile.

Thats good advice. I dont really check calipers that often since they never failed on me. :thumbup:

LVNeptune

Reaction score
Visit site

Take the BRC / ARC at MSF... ;)