immobiliser problem "51 error"

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
last week my Immobilizer started giving trouble , it all started when i turned the key to "off" yet the engine kept running i thought it was just a random thing that may happen , anyway after a quick turn to lock the steering it turned off ,

following day i started it up fine when but i got to my destination i turned the key off and again it didnt turn off but this time the immobiliser light stayed on as well as the lights on the clock and "51" was on the screen , i tried for about half an hour with the key to start it back but nothing so i ended up having to get a taxi home to get the "red key" anyway after a 2 hour round trip i got back to the bike and the red key in hand it did nothing the error was still there but after an hour of togging with the key it did finally start to my relief ,

i was on hols for a week so today same thing i started up fine went of and parked the bike up wouldnt turn off but this time i had the red key in my bag but again it did nothing error 51 was still on the screen

my other half suggested joggling the steering in case a wire is lose and hey presto it just turned off straight away with the normal key

so anyway sorry for the long story but have i a lose wire somewhere or has anyone experienced this before?, id hate to be driving and the transmission just to turn off with a faulty wiring as ive already experienced accidentally turning the key to off riding at low speed when i was trying to get the carpark gate remote from the keyring and its not something i want to do again especially at higher speed

any input from experience would be appreciated

its a 2008 FZ6 s1 and if this is in the wrong section admin please feel free to move it :) thanks

Myles

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Myles,

Here's an error code list.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/3131-fault-codes-listed-fz6-service-manual.html

Check all your connectors. Check ECU plugs. Look for possible moisture or off color on pins and contacts.

Check your wiring where it bends at the steering. You may have to open the heavy jacket gentle pull each wire where it flexes to see if you have a break.
You will feel a bad wire because the jacket will have give and stretch.

Last edited:

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks man ,
ill give it the once over today and see if i can find any irregularities , ive got to admit im useless at electrics so probably pissing against the wind but i havent got the loot to leave it to be looked at by the mechanics , ill report back if i find a lose wire for any more advice :thumbup:

mylo

mylo
Reaction score
Visit site
update: i followed the wires from the key switch and there was a kink where the wires had been pinched and 2 of the wires where bare (the plastic was pinched off them, 2 wires) i could actually hotwire the bike starting with no key but the immobiliser did cum on , so i just taped up the individulal wires and the outside of all the wires , i didnt take any pics to illustrate as my camera had no batteries , thanks to motogiro for the advice

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
update: i followed the wires from the key switch and there was a kink where the wires had been pinched and 2 of the wires where bare (the plastic was pinched off them, 2 wires) i could actually hotwire the bike starting with no key but the immobiliser did cum on , so i just taped up the individulal wires and the outside of all the wires , i didnt take any pics to illustrate as my camera had no batteries , thanks to motogiro for the advice

I don't exactly understand were the wires bared, copper showing? Broken? if you have broken copper strands inside the jacket, they must be properly repaired or you'll have another problem again. :D