I'm glad I had this problem at home n not at the gas station!

RedsReboot

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a problem and could use some suggestions. It has been getting difficult to turn the key and open my gas tank to gas up. It was pretty bad looking as well so I ordered a nice chrome replacement that doesn't use a key.

I tried to change the whole thing when I got home from work but it won't come out unless the screws are removed AND the cap is opened. The screws are no problem, the key though goes right in smooth yet won't budge a single bit.

What if this happened while I was riding and needed gas! :eek:

I've already tried various penetrating oils and soaking it. I've also already taken a hammer :spank: to the whole thing to try and jar it loose.

Any ideas? Drill out the whole lock/tumbler area?

kyle

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be wary about drilling both for not wanting metal bits in my gas tank and the fire risk. Unfortunately, the only idea I had was some WD-40 in the keyhole, but it sounds like you've already tried that (WD-40 in the keyhole, sounds like a punch line to a bad joke). You have a spare? Maybe the key is just worn?

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
i had that happen to me. A couple drops of liquid wrench fixed it. I didn't put it in the slot, though, I put it around the tumbler.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i've actually had this problem at a station. mine seems to have a white powder like substance in the key hole. it's slowly gotten worse. this last time i got pretty nervous. i had to put the key in and out multiple times before it would finally turn. i have to figure out something because i'll be leaving on a trip in a week and would rather not have to worry about it.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a mod that's posted on this forum where you can modify your cap so that it does not require your key to remain inserted while refueling. Not sure if this would help your particular situation.

RedsReboot

Reaction score
Visit site
i had that happen to me. A couple drops of liquid wrench fixed it. I didn't put it in the slot, though, I put it around the tumbler.

That helped me finally get it. I was injecting it into the slot as deep as I could. I picked the tank up so it was level with the ground and had a small pool of fluid over and all around the tumbler.
Then I took a square handled, flat head screwdriver and pushed it into the slot. I used an adjustable wrench to tighten down on the square shaped handle of the screwdriver and twisted the screwdriver head clockwise and counterclockwise until it kind of popped a little and then the slot could move a little each way.

It was a little rough getting the key in and turning it, but it worked. By the way I noticed you can't simply turn the key back and take it out. :confused: It has a little metal tab that work like a lock release. There are two phillips screws on each side of this little lock tab. Unscrewing them allows the key to be turned and removed.

Thanks!

RedsReboot

Reaction score
Visit site
Almost forgot to follow up. The new cap looks great. A LOT better than factory IMOP. My factory cap was pretty rough looking as it is. I should be able to post picks of the tank with the new cap tomorrow when I have a camera.

Texperkin

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a bit late but lock graphite is magic stuff. Would have been good to try that. Maybe that's the same though as liquid wrench????

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited: