I'll be replacing steering bearings, what else?

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to replace my steering bearings, so I just ordered All Balls taper roller bearings for my 2005 FZ6. I can't replace them myself, so I will be paying the shop to do the labor (they quoted me 4 hours of work, lol). My question to you all is what else is good to be replaced since I'm paying anyway? I've read somewhere that I can replace the springs, can somebody tell me, these springs, what part numbers do I actually need to purchase?

Thank you in advance. I'm new to the sport, don't know much so I would appreciate if you guys direct me towards buying the right stuff.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Replace your springs and fork oil. Upgrade to Racetech springs. Go on their website, order them based on your weight. Since the shop has the forks disassembled anyways to replace your steering head bearings, you probably can get this done relatively cheap.

This is what I did. I bought the parts and they just charged me for labor. I forgot how much I paid but I'm sure I posted a thread a long time ago about this being done to my bike.

Search is your friend.

my .02

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
They might be quoting you a general charge - it only took the shop 2 hours to do mine - they only have to remove the calipers, wheel, top triple and drop the forks out to get access. If they'd roll the oil/spring swap into the 4 hours that would be worth it IMO

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys!

So, I went to the Racetech site and I can see the springs, but now I'm a bit confused as to what string to order. They've got the calculator, I weight 185 lb and interested in street riding only, but there I apparently need to enter "semi-wet" weight or something.. Can somebody go here: RT - Digital Product Search and help me calculate what spring to order?

Also, what exactly is the advantage of upgrading to these strings if I may ask? Is it really worth the extra price?

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
Well according to fz6 wiki the 07+ models way about 410 dry weight. So the semi-wet should be be roughly 459 . Looks like this is the part for your weight, RT FRK SPR 36.7x34.5x315 .95kg, FRSP S3732095

Last edited:

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
So, if the calculator gives .92kg spring, but they've got only .90 and .95, which one should I go with? Please forgive me for being a beginner and tell me what advantage I will have in terms of handling when I get such aftermarket stiffer spring.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So, if the calculator gives .92kg spring, but they've got only .90 and .95, which one should I go with? Please forgive me for being a beginner and tell me what advantage I will have in terms of handling when I get such aftermarket stiffer spring.

Mine came out to .97 so I went with the 1.0 as they told me to "round up".

I have only a fraction of the diving under braking that I used to with the new sprigs and 10w oil. The shocks are a little slower to rebound and you feel bumps a lot more, but the bike just tracks beautifully.

Scorp

---
- Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Corsara

Reaction score
Visit site
Well according to fz6 wiki the 07+ models way about 410 dry weight. So the semi-wet should be be roughly 459 . Looks like this is the part for your weight, RT FRK SPR 36.7x34.5x315 .95kg, FRSP S3732095

If you don't mind me asking, what does it mean "semi-wet", is this with half tank of gas?

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
semi-wet is the curb weight or what the bike actually weighs when it is ready to ride all fluids and mods like storage bags.
Dry weight is the weight with no fluids as is shipped from Yamaha to a dealer, from the way I understand it.