If you could only do 1 mod...

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
So I thought about creating a poll, but realized that there is no way I could think of everything to put on the list and I'm sure some people would be unhappy that I didn't include their favorite mod. So I just decided to leave the poll out and let everyone post.

The questions:
  1. IF you could only have ONE mod, what would it be?
  2. What mod do you think gives you the most "bang for your buck"?
I'd prefer to keep it to mods that you've done to your own bikes or that you have some first hand experience with. I'd like to mod my bike, but since I don't have unlimited funds, I'm not really sure where to start.

Stevenator

I'll be back...eventually
Reaction score
Visit site
Pugi windshield. When I first got the bike the stock shield kept blasting my shoulders left and right... I'm 6'3". It was the first thing that I modded and has allowed me to enjoy riding instead of constantly fighting the wind.

Second would be the 15t front sprocket... if i was shorter and the windshield worked fine for me... this would be the mod that wins by a long shot. The ride is sooo much better. Bottom end power is right where it should be, and the ability to control the bike with just the throttle is MUCH better.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
yep, frame sliders is my answer to both questions

edit: that's pretty much an automatic...beyond the sliders I'd, and did,
look at a taller windshield...preferences may vary depending what you
plan to do with the bike, for me it's a mixture short and long touring,
so the windshield is also a must, prolly gonna see a seat on this list too

Last edited:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
1. Only one mod, regardless of cost - 2bros exhaust.
2. Most bang for the buck - 15T front sprocket ($15) and what a difference!

Frame sliders are not a mod, but insurance IMO. I didn't buy anything else until I got those.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if the frame sliders aren't considered a mod, but safety eq, then I'd say my bagster tankbra. I have LOTS of room in the extra bagster tank bags I attach so easily to the bra..
if thats considered luggage I'd say my akra's, give the bike a much better sound :)

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ1 handlebars. make the bike feel so much better. very cheap too. so cheap you could afford to do the number 2 which is foot peg lowerers. im doing the pegs this summer.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Because you've already mentioned your weight, my suggestion would be upgrading the fork springs.

Get the bike to work properly, for your weight. Everything else is secondary to proper function. You'll be safer if the bike is under control. You'll learn more effectively, if it responds to your inputs 'cleanly'. I'd seriously look into replacing the spring on the rear shock as well for something appropriate to your weight.

Frame sliders are a good add on; they'll reduce what happens to the bike in the likely event of a fall at little or no speed. At the same time, the damage they prevent is mostly cosmetic.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone. Luckily, my bike came with frame sliders, so that was one less thing I had to buy (but would have, for sure)!

I have a problem with customizing things I like...I tend to do it with just about everything I own that can be modded/customized. I get alot of enjoyment out of working on these mini-projects and that's why I was hoping for ideas.

@RJ2112: Thanks for remembering some of my other posts! I am quite hefty, so I have definitely been considering the fork springs. I don't know if I trust my mechanical skills that much to do those though, so the added cost of labor at a shop will mean I have to put those off for a few months. I stiffened up my rear shock and filled up my tires to the correct PSI for my weight over the weekend and noticed quite a difference. The back end didn't feel nearly as "mushy".

Feel free to continue answering my first post, but when I wrote that I was thinking more along the lines of DIY boneman type mods (IE: Xenon headlights, airbox mods, horns, exhausts, sprockets, peg lowerers, etc) and not so much storage or protection (frame sliders). I'm not arguing that they're not mods, that's just not what I had in my mind when I posed the questions.

So for those of you that already posted but listed only frame sliders, if you've done any other mods to your bikes please let me know what your new answers to the questions would be.

Mancolt

Reaction score
Visit site
Just the man I was hoping to hear from! Boneman, could you give us an idea of what some of your favorite mods are/were, least favorite (wouldn't recommend trying) etc. Since you have tons of modding experience, I'd like to get your opinions on the matter!

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
reasons for? Sound, performance, or both?

Sound, Perfomance, Looks, and lots of weight taken off from the bike. Our stock exhaust seems to weigh a ton compared to aftermarket pieces.

Frame sliders could potentially save your bike; that's almost a must too.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
QUOTE=Mancolt;304100]Just the man I was hoping to hear from! Boneman, could you give us an idea of what some of your favorite mods are/were, least favorite (wouldn't recommend trying) etc. Since you have tons of modding experience, I'd like to get your opinions on the matter![/QUOTE]

Ok, you asked for it....

91_000.jpg

Favorite Mods would include:

POD lights - easy to do and imporves the look as well as visibility.

PUIG windscreen - dramitically improved the look of the front end of the FZ6 IMHO (05 version anyway). Super easy to install and decently priced.

Rizoma rear sets - perfect mesh of form and function but expensive.

HID Projectors - dramatically improves the light output but a very envasive mod! Lots of wiring and taking the fornt of the bike apart. Would not recommend for someone new to modding or who is not comfortable with wiring.

Two Brothers Exhaust - waited and saved for 2 years to do this mod! Greatly improves the look and sound of the bike, but VERY expensive!

PAZZO Levers - again, form and function, but a little pricey.

HEL SS Brake Lines - again, another great form and function mod and they look really nice!

:thumbup:[

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Fork springs are quite easy to install..... all you need are a couple of Allen wrenches, a couple of metric wrenches, a crescent wrench, some replacement fork oil and the springs.

The job should take less than an afternoon, and makes a HUGE difference in how the bike feels.

I'm sure someone here has posted a 'How to' on this procedure.... if not, give a shout, and someone will walk you through it.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Seat. I didn't realize how bad the stock seat sucked until I replaced it.
Now longer rides feel fantastic, the bike looks better, and pillion comfort and view is better. Although pricey, well worth it. My favorite mod, second being the pipes.