Idle stalling

mike62858

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,
I dont know if anyone else has this problem, but when I start out I can just let out the clutch a little, and start going. But as the bike warms up, and I am at a light, if I let out the clutch. and dont play around with the throttle, I will stall.
Usually I can avoid this by giving just the right amount of gas, but in the last few days, I stalled twice as I was pulling away.
The Idle is set at the factory 1350 rpms, so Im thinking of upping it to 15-1600.
What do you think?
Thanks
Mike

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
What do you think?

You should be using the throttle when you start from a stop. It's takes a combination of increasing the throttle while your let the clutch out. Can you take off without using the throttle? Yes, but in my opinion it's not the way to ride. I say practice increasing the thrttle while releasing the clutch. It only takes a little to get you going.

How do you take off from a incline?

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't suggest raising the idle speed, you'll just chew through more gas.

Do as ant_mb has suggested, practice using some throttle for take off and it will all become so much easier in no time.

BTW, the dealer here set my idle speed down on my first service (long time ago now), he set it at just a bit over 1000 Rpm.

:)

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
you might want to try adjusting the adjusting screw on the clutch lever to where it doesn't start catching until the clutch is released a little farther.

Rocky529

Reaction score
Visit site
The only time you should use the clutch only to start moving is when you are learning where the catch point is.

What if you are at a red light and someone is approaching you fast and not stopping? How are you going to get out of the way? Let out the clutch and slowly move next to the car infront of you and hope you don't get rear ended?

Nope... you're going to let the clutch out and throttle your way out of harm's way. Learn to give the bike throttle as you reach the catch point with the clutch. It may literally save your life one day.

Hollow

Happy Thankful Member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar situation when I first bought my bike also. But alot of the guys suggested this and it worked. Its been three months and no problems at all with take off 2 up or not. Look at your rpms when you first start the bike up after its cold. See what the rpms are. You want them around 1300. Then drive it and warm it up. Check the rpms again. If the rpms aren't around 1300 then turn the idle screw again and raise them to around 1300 rpms. If this isn't the problem sry good luck finding out what it is. O this is something I learned I didn't know. When you first crank the bike the rpms are higher then when you warm it up. Thanks FZ6-Forum.:D