I want a naked bike

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I would love to have a naked bike, but I'm not sure if I can deal with the wind. I ride 50/50 highway and city, and I like to run at 70-80mph. How bad is a 45f-30mph north wind on the highway at high speeds? I would love a in depth ride report from someone who has switched after ridding a standard to naked.

How different is the ride? Can you sport tour? What do you miss from the old bike? What do you like most about the naked bike? What do you not like about being naked? How hard is it to go back? If you had it to do over, would you do it again? What would you change? What would you like for your next bike? Do people (the ladies) like to check your bike out? How much do you ride a year? Do you have a backup bike, or is the naked bike the only bike?

If I do go naked next spring, the bike in the photo is the one for me. I think it's as sexy as any euro bike, and less the $$$$$ service of a euro bike.

Talk me into it. I'm so close to the edge. Tell me that the wind is no big deal. Tell me what can be done to deal with the wind. Tell me how much you love the bike on the highway.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
70-80mph on the highway is fine. Above 85 gets uncomfortable though. The front of the bike feels lighter in a good way. I liked it a lot, but I went back to the fairing for practicality (riding year round)

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't speak for the vs1 kit but they way I have my bike set up I absolutely love it. I ride year round rain or shine hot or cold adding up to about 25k-30k a year and my only complaint is that when t does rain I get a lot wetter than I did when rain riding on my old vstrom. As far as the wind goes, with my setup I find it more comfortable than my vstrom with a Givi touring wind screen, I can't stand wind buffeting and there is 0 on my fz. The coldest I've rode was 12*f and it was still a nonissue thanks to heated gear, but without it I would have been taking the truck. Everybody always worries about the wind but honestly until you ride one it won't click, but it really is a different kind of wind, it's nice, at least until I break 120... And yes I get lots of compliments on my bike and lots of people asking just what exactly it is, having a unique bike is a conversation starter for sure. Now I've said a few times "with my setup" what I mean is that my headlight is not bolted directly to the forks and sticks out in front of them about 6" or so. I've redone the mounting points on it 3 times pushing it further out every time until I found a spot that I liked how the wind felt the best. It's just far enough out that it keeps he majority of wind off my hands, and to be completely honest I'm not sure exactly where the rest hits, it's that unnoticeable. I'm about to leave for work so maybe ill feel it on my way in. But this is what I'm talking about when I say "my setup"
View attachment 45096
I though I had some close ups of my "dash" but I guess I deleted them but you can see what I'm talking about

blu3

Reaction score
Visit site
I converted to naked last year and I'm an all weather biker, as I live in ireland its constantly raining or freezing, and I Would not go back to being faired. I have a MRA Racing/Double Bubble Screen For Naked Bikes and there is almost no wind buffeting, its fully adjustable as well amd can be adjusted while you are riding.

I dont do that much highway riding however when I do I foudn it to be more comfortable than it was with the fairing, I even tried the extended windscreen for a while.

If Its going to be raining allot I use the Richa Rain Warrior jacket and trousers which keeps me 100% dry ( Even if I ride for hours in the rain). My only gripe is the gloves, I havent found anyting that I like yet. might get the Held Air N Dry Gloves [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLCc-s4xgeM]Held Air N Dry Gloves Review at RevZilla.com - YouTube[/ame]

Below is the screen
rnb_screen_xl.jpg

and this is what it looks like ont he bike
racingnb_yamaha_fzs1_xl.jpg

Last edited:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
All of this talk of a naked bike makes me want to go naked too!

Has anybody found a way to make the whole conversion process easier in terms of going back to stock fairing?

What I mean specifically is the wiring?

I know everything is nicely tucked in when you are naked.

Let's just say that if you want to quickly put up the fairing you would only need to remount the signal indicators and the fairing mounting.

And you could create an inter connecting wire harness that you could hook up the the already tucked in wiring and connect it to the headlight and speedo in the fairing?

My idea would be to remount the stock fairing every year when September ends, to keep riding until mid December.

I used to ride a naked bike here in the city until mid December too.

Actually it wasn't bad because the commute is only 8 miles in a stop and go traffic, but I won't lie. A fairing would help alot.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode my FZ naked to and from work almost this entire year 70 miles round trip a day. My usually highway speeds are between 80-90mph. Up to 80 it really is fine, but as others have said, above 85 and you start to feel it. Thats not to say you cant cruise at 90 and be ok, you will just have to fight the wind a little more.

Be prepared to strengthen up those neck muscles :thumbup:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I will NEVER own a naked bike because if my FZ6 was naked I may be dead or seriously injured right now and unable to ride. I was struck in the top of the helmet by a buzzard (vulture) at 60 mph this spring and had it not been for my stock windscreen deflecting the 6 lb bird it would have struck me right in the throat or faceshield and definitely taken me off the bike at 60 mph! A 6 lb bird @ 60 mph feels like being hit by a bowling ball throw by an Olympic shot-put thrower!

See this thread:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...083-just-took-buzzard-bird-helmet-60-mph.html

Fairing and windscreens are for more than just wind deflection. The only naked bike I've ridden was my Victory cruiser with the windshield removed and above 60 mph I would actually be pushed backwards in the seat if I let go of the bars!

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I will NEVER own a naked bike because if my FZ6 was naked I may be dead or seriously injured right now and unable to ride. I was struck in the top of the helmet by a buzzard (vulture) at 60 mph this spring and had it not been for my stock windscreen deflecting the 6 lb bird it would have struck me right in the throat or faceshield and definitely taken me off the bike at 60 mph! A 6 lb bird @ 60 mph feels like being hit by a bowling ball throw by an Olympic shot-put thrower!

See this thread:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...083-just-took-buzzard-bird-helmet-60-mph.html

Fairing and windscreens are for more than just wind deflection. The only naked bike I've ridden was my Victory cruiser with the windshield removed and above 60 mph I would actually be pushed backwards in the seat if I let go of the bars!

Shiet.

This is first time Ia m hearing of something like that.

Crazy!

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, this is a big help.

I just think a naked FZ looks as good if not better then any euro bike in its class, and I'd love to own one.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I think having something to keep me from going 100mph is a plus.

I'm going to try to do a test ride on a Triumph ST at the euro shop if the weather is dry tomorrow. If I like it, I'll go naked on my bike this spring.

The bike in the photo will be my goal.

Yasko

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't get to the eruo bike shop today, it was cold and misty all day. I'm going to try for next weekend, if the weather is dry.