I need the advice of a fisherman.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Driving home yesterday, I found a fishing rod and reel sitting in the middle of the road. See, it pays to stay alert!

I went back and picked it up. There's no identifying marks and only a little road rach on it, so now it's mine.

The rod is a Featherlight X-Stream by Eagle Claw
FLX502LS
http://eagleclawclassic.com/pdf/Rods_sm.pdf

The reel is a Pflueger Trion
4520GXCB
Pflueger Fishing Tackle

The question is, what sort of fishing can I do with this rig?

Fred

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Thanks. What kind of fish is this rod good for? Obviously I won't be bringing in a blue marlin on this rig. Can I take it and try to get something (something that I can eat) out of the local lakes and rivers?

I know very little about fishing.

S

sm00thpapa

Turn it into your local police department. Some little poor old man must of dropped it. Now he is at home all upset about losing his rod. Poor old man I feel sorry for him now.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Fishing? Something I used to do with my grandpa.

I don't know the rules in Austin, TX. I figure you need a fishing license (buy it at WAL-MART) and need to check the baiting rules. You're probably allowed to use cold smelt, which would be awesome!

If you could put cold smelt on that rod and fish in a river of trout, I almost guarantee you'd catch something.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on checking with your local police dept to see if anyone has reported the rod missing.

The combo is worth approx $100-$125 and would be good for any bait that requires a light bait. It would be good for throwing small twister tail grubs with a total weight of less than 1/8 ounce. It would be perfect for ultra-light Bass fishing, or for panfish such as Crappie, Bluegills or Perch.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
EDIT: I am going to try calling the local police station to see if anyone reported it missing.

Turning it in would be problematic. I found it 200+ miles from home. It has no identifying markings. The gas I'd spend to go back to the area, find the closest police station, turn it in, and then drive home, would cost more than the rod and reel cost. If it remained unclaimed (very likely) I'd have to drive the same distance again to collect my new rod and reel.

And there's no way of knowing where the owner lives, since there wasn't a lake very near where I found it. My guess is that the owner does live somewhere in the state of Texas.

Don't get me wrong, the time I found a wallet, I turned it in to the police station knowing it would get back to the owner. With this, there's no way of getting it back to the owner. So I'll content myself with knowing that at least the rod didn't end up getting run over and jammed into somebody's radiator.

And I'll be sure to do something nice for somebody else to repay the karma.

That said, if you know the owner, put them in touch with me and I'll ship it back to them.

Fred

Last edited:

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
just go out and fish with it.. you should be able to catch lunch with no problem. i would think you could do local lakes and stream/rivers with it as long as your not going for mobydick

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
You could catch bluegill, crappie, small bass, etc. with that rig and have a blast. Small spinner baits or jigs will do.

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Took the FZ to go fishing today! (for a change I didn't catch a thing) Seems like the setup is for fresh water bass fishing. Throw some 4 to 6 lb test line on it and haul in some lunkers.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thats a nice set up you got there.I call that an open face reel it's the only kind of reel I can cast with.like you i'm not much of a fisherman,I did catch my first Bass with a rig like that when I was 20 years old.:D I was so excited I grabbed the line with my hands and pulled the 4 pound beast into the boat grabbed an oar and was going to beat it to death until my freind finaly caught his breath from laughing at me and told me not to kill it,and put it in live well.:D fishing is fun!! :rockon::D

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
It looks like it's meant for small fish such as blue gill or crappie and even bass and trout since the reel is an ultra light and only holds 105 yards of 4 pound line. You could put 6 pound line on it for the bass and trout but it would probably only hold about 90 yards which would be enough line. Use small baits and cast your bait as close as you can to any kind of cover such as trees and bushes, or rocks and boulders without actually getting caught in that cover. Bass and blue gill love cover. I fish probably more than I ride, and that's a lot, but I do it for fun so I release all of my fish which I hope you will do. If you talk to the folks at your local bait store, they can tell you more about it and what baits to use. So go use that new setup and have fun. Good luck to you.

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
Fred, I see you're from Texas. There are a ton of excellent bass fishing lakes in Texas so you shouldn't have a problem finding a good place to use your new gear.