I did it...

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
I passed 1,000mi, so it was time for the second and final break-in oil change.

I also "did it", (uhuhuhuhuh...) in another way: I went over to synthetic.

I found Rotella-T 5w 40 AND purolator PureOne filters at a PepBoys, and when I finally had a break from running calls, I set to work.

I got to drain the case for 20 minutes, until there was hardly a drop of regular oil left. I got the Wix filter off, and opened the PureOne box to se *gasp!* almost the exact same metallic blue as my bike!

I put it on, hand tight, and commenced to put the required 3.96 US qt. in.
The Captain at the firehouse we live at came by to see how things were going. He has over 20-odd motorcycles/dirt bikes, and does trials competitions for fun. Cool guy.
He had looked this bike over when I first brough it in, and said, "What a fine motorcycle."
This means something to me, as he knows bikes very well.

He said, "Oh, how cute, you got a mtaching filter... Is that a PureOne? Maybe the best on the market -certainly better than Yamaha's."

I filled it up, and started it, let it get warm and shut it down to add some more from the filter that was filled. The oil light went off, and it ran great.

As it warmed up a little more, the ticking in the valves went away almost completely, and as I rolled it to reposition, I noticed how easy it was to push around now. I took it for a spin with my radio jammed mic jammed under my helmet so I could hear dispatch.

What a difference!
It shifts smoother, and when you accelerate up to and beyond 8,000RPMs, it just gets there with a lot less vibration and noise.
I really noticed it on the ride home this AM. The whole motor/transmission assembly just purrs.

I'm sold.
The dino oil seemed to cause more resistance while getting on it and it ran a little hotter. Engine temp avg while cruising at 5-6,000RPMs at aroun 60mph, was 180-190F, and now it's been 170-180F. -Even while sitting still at a light, where it used to get to 220F, it sits around 200F.

Slick.

I know this motor won't be hurt by temps up to 240F, but there is a difference nonetheless, and I like it.

Anyone else notice these differences from dino to synthetic?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope you meant 2.96 quarts! :eek:

But, yes, I noticed a big difference too. My new iridium plugs came today, so sometime tomorrow I'll be putting those in, and cleaning my K&N air filter for the first time. First time I'll see my baby naked! :thumbup: :cheer: :rolleyes:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Botch how many miles you got on your FZ? How often do you clean that K&N?

On my car I clean it every 20k or so...
I bought the bike used at 1,400 miles, had my dealer do the 4,000-mile service, paid the >$200 bill :eek:, and decided to do the 8,000-mile myself, so it's my first time cleaning it. The maintenance schedule calls for doing it every 4,000, so I'll do that unless its ridiculously clean when I pull it tomorrow.
Will let you know tomorrow (and take photos, if I remember to grab the camera...)