hydraulic clutch?

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
so has anyone ever thought of replacing the FZs ancient cable clutch with a hydraulic clutch? Ive been looking on the net for a kit but all i can find are for dirtbikes. Im wondering if one would work like the Magura HYMEC kit...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I am most interested in a hydraulic clutch for my bike. I've never liked the cable on mine. It seems like if I unhook the cable from the clutch lever and reconnect it, it behaves for a half hour then gets hard to pull again. I lubed it and it does the same thing. I think it's a bad design maybe because of the angle of the first bend.

Yes! a Hydraulic! Let's do it! :rockon:

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
I did find a guide online for an ATV on how to install the clutch here that shows how it replaces a cable. From the picture it looks like it just hangs on there where the cable end would go. I guess my major concern is the fact that the clutch itself might be too much for a Magura HYMEC to handle and break.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont think the lever would be a problem, so much as the slave cylinder would be. I would love to put a hydrolic set up on mine as well.

The first thing to know is how much force does that slave cylinder need to produce. If you were to contact Magura you could probably get some answers as to what size slave and master cylinder would be needed.

Also, I would wonder about the length of hose that comes that kit. Once again, specifying with Magura USA the length and all that good stuff, it could probably happen.

$$ would be the next issue.

The problems with our cluches is that there is too short of a pull inside the clutch or something. Some one on one of the forums made a replacement that fixed this. The other issue is the two 90* metal bends that the cable has. I replaced mine a month ago and it is much better than my old one...but it will go back to the way it was.

Side note:

If you do end up with a "juice" clutch, only put in the Magura Blood fluid. Other brake fluids will cause damage to the seals and mess up the slave. Also, mineral oil works but it is a bit spongy feeling. The "Magura Blood" seem to be the best fluid for them as far as feel.

-bryan

Last edited: