How to trigger stoplight sensors

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wish I could remember... better yet find what Pennsylvania and Maryland's law is. I don't think a cop is gonna give you much grief if you at least STOP and wait one full cycle. You have obviously stopped and the system doesn't "see" you. However if you proceed on a red light and are involved in an accident I'm sure you will be cited.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's Minnesota's. I'm guessing most states have something similar to this.

169.06 SIGNS, SIGNALS, MARKINGS.
Subd. 9.Affirmative defense relating to unchanging traffic-control signal.
(a) A person operating a bicycle or motorcycle who violates subdivision 4 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light has an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions:
(1) the bicycle or motorcycle has been brought to a complete stop;
(2) the traffic-control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time;
(3) the traffic-control signal is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the bicycle or motorcycle; and
(4) no motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard.
(b) The affirmative defense in this subdivision applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic-control signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Wish I could remember... better yet find what Pennsylvania and Maryland's law is. I don't think a cop is gonna give you much grief if you at least STOP and wait one full cycle. You have obviously stopped and the system doesn't "see" you. However if you proceed on a red light and are involved in an accident I'm sure you will be cited.

Maryland has nothing on the books to address this directly, that I could ever find.

The MD Driver's Handbook used to say this, which wasn't a law, so everyone ignored it. But it's how I approach the situation of a non-responsive signal:

"When a traffic light is malfunctioning or not working, you should treat this intersection as a four-way stop sign. Come to a complete stop and yield to all other traffic, then proceed when the way is clear."

But in 2011 long term power outages caused by Hurricane Irene led to chaos so they refined that a bit, and made it a law that you have to stop:

"When a traffic signal is not working, you are now required to stop at a clearly marked stop line; or if there is no clearly marked stop line, before entering any crosswalk; or if there is no clearly marked stop line or crosswalk, before entering the intersection, and yield to any vehicle or pedestrian in the intersection; and remain stopped until it is safe to enter and continue through the intersection."

New Non-Functioning Traffic Light Law In Md. | wusa9.com

How many people know about that law? I didn't until tonight.

In any case, wherever you are, if you come across a broken signal, report it to your city/county/state road department. They're all online nowadays making it easy enough. It won't get fixed if they don't know it's broken.

polydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
CA you can run red lights that won't change, but (probably already mentioned) look for the tar circle and try to line your front and back tires up on the circle. You can also buy a few different types of devices mostly magnets that are supposed to trick the sensor into thinking your a large vehicle. or just leave your bike in neutral, put ur kickstand down, and run and hit the crosswalk button then by the time you get back to ur bike the light will be ready to change.

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maryland has nothing on the books to address this directly, that I could ever find.

The MD Driver's Handbook used to say this, which wasn't a law, so everyone ignored it. But it's how I approach the situation of a non-responsive signal:

"When a traffic light is malfunctioning or not working, you should treat this intersection as a four-way stop sign. Come to a complete stop and yield to all other traffic, then proceed when the way is clear."

But in 2011 long term power outages caused by Hurricane Irene led to chaos so they refined that a bit, and made it a law that you have to stop:

"When a traffic signal is not working, you are now required to stop at a clearly marked stop line; or if there is no clearly marked stop line, before entering any crosswalk; or if there is no clearly marked stop line or crosswalk, before entering the intersection, and yield to any vehicle or pedestrian in the intersection; and remain stopped until it is safe to enter and continue through the intersection."

New Non-Functioning Traffic Light Law In Md. | wusa9.com

How many people know about that law? I didn't until tonight.

In any case, wherever you are, if you come across a broken signal, report it to your city/county/state road department. They're all online nowadays making it easy enough. It won't get fixed if they don't know it's broken.

That make two of us!:thumbup:

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
On the subject of reporting a problem signal, I was well chuffed, as they say, to find that this intersection was all better this morning. I reported it to the MD SHA a few weeks ago after the overhead video sensor stopped working for cars and motorcycles when it was widened to two (unmarked) lanes. The sensors now detect my FZ6 with no other vehicles around and the lanes were marked like I suggested. Maybe that was the plan all along, but I'd like to think I played a role. :rolleyes:

Sometimes the system works.

Last edited:

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
I have worked with local municipalities and the state highway department and had them meet me at the intersections to re-adjust the sensitivity so that it will detect a motorcycle. Kind of a pain, but it works and they've been willing to make the adjustments. I had two lights on the way to and from work that were particularly troublesome and both have been fixed.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have worked with local municipalities and the state highway department and had them meet me at the intersections to re-adjust the sensitivity so that it will detect a motorcycle. Kind of a pain, but it works and they've been willing to make the adjustments. I had two lights on the way to and from work that were particularly troublesome and both have been fixed.

That's really nice of them! I have an old high iron type magnet I'll try in my chin fairing and if it doesn't work I'll try to get our guys out to do the same thing. :)