How to Install Kriega Bag Straps onto FZ6

Cece

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 Kriega Bag Installation

Since everyone raves about the Kriega bags, I decided to go with them. I got the UScombo30 Drypack (which is just a 20 and a 10 package deal) for $180 shipped from the Kriega.us site. I bags arrived pretty fast (less than a week). I found JoeSTL's thread "Just bought Kreiga 20" very useful and wanted to share my experience with installing the straps onto the bike.

I have a 2008 FZ6.

Tools: 8mm wrench and a pair of tweezers. The tweezers help with threading the straps under the frame.

Take off the plate cover by removing the one bolt with the 8mm wrench.

Plate cover is off:

At first I put on the straps with the plastic buckle side up, but my seat wouldn't lock down properly.

So I reversed the strap so the plastic buckle is faced down and tucked them inside the frame. The Corbin seat locks, but it's pretty tight.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
:thumbup: Nice, clean install!

Thanks for taking the time to put together the HOWTO.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Cece,

Just a thought. Do check on those straps and buckles for signs of melting seeing how close they are to the top of the exhaust -- just a couple mm.

I started to move the straps of my tail bag from the grab bars to where you connected yours, to tidy things up a bit, but had second thoughts seeing how they might come in contact with the exhaust if they had any slack in them. I measured 200F under that plastic cover with the warning sticker after a short ride tonight.

The straps are probably nylon or polyester which melt at around 500F, so you're probably okay there. Who knows about the plastic buckles.

Just being a mother hen ... :rolleyes:

arsity

Reaction score
Visit site
Cece,

Just a thought. Do check on those straps and buckles for signs of melting seeing how close they are to the top of the exhaust -- just a couple mm.

I started to move the straps of my tail bag from the grab bars to where you connected yours, to tidy things up a bit, but had second thoughts seeing how they might come in contact with the exhaust if they had any slack in them. I measured 200F under that plastic cover with the warning sticker after a short ride tonight.

The straps are probably nylon or polyester which melt at around 500F, so you're probably okay there. Who knows about the plastic buckles.

Just being a mother hen ... :rolleyes:

FWIW: I have my straps in the same position, and I have had mine mounted for over a year now. No problems so far. However, I do NOT go for long rides on my bike, but i still dont think it would be a problem. I installed LeoVince's a couple of months ago, and did not see any damage or wear to the straps. :thumbup:

Cece

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the word of caution. I had the same concerns but it looks like the straps are spaced out far enough. I took my bags for a road trip this weekend (over 800 miles) and the straps held up! The plastic buckles didn't melt, yay!