How to get at rear light wiring

saveitk

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm installing an TriStar unit that makes the rear turn signals illuminate when the brakes are applied (also act as rear running lights). To do so, I need to get at the brake and signal wires. I haven't looked yet, but how do I get to them?

Any info is appreciated fellas!

Kevin

thetimanator

Reaction score
Visit site
Remove the seat, you see a screw on either side holding the little side cover things (not sure what they are called, but mine has an FZ6 logo on it). The wiring is in the left side, remove the screw and then pull on it. It should just pop off.

somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Pretty sure you're right. When I replaced my brake light bulb it was just like that. Take the seat off and it does light a 1/4 screw and comes out. Didn't check on the wiring but it should be pretty obvious, just follow it from the bulb. I'm not sure what the things under the grab bars are called either. Mine used to say FZ6 on it till I took them off with the rest of my stickers:D

saveitk

Reaction score
Visit site
I took off the side color body work which hid the wiring. I unplugged and tested the different wires. I marked the turn signals, brake, and plate light, easy enough... now apparently I have to find a power source and a ground. I'll take photos as I go.. but to be honest, I HAVE NO IDEA what I'm doing at this point.

Last edited:

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wired up my garage door opener by using the method described above. Remove your rear seat, remove the side covers and your wiring is right there. Good luck

Doc

saveitk

Reaction score
Visit site
All installed guys, luckily my neighbor knew what to do. My signal lights now act as running lights as well as illuminate in conjunction with the brake light.