How much better is a Buell?

RedsReboot

Reaction score
Visit site
I hang out at work with a little group of people that happens to mostly be bikers. Well we have another employee who started about 6 months ago. He's one of those kids who's parents have money so he tends to act like a spoiled brat. If someone has something nice, he seems to be forced to go out and buy something equal or nicer. Last week a bunch of us were comparing bike pictures and stories and we were talking about starting a little company bike club. Maybe start having a group ride on a regualr bases.

So anyway this guy went out and bought a Buell since then and rode it to work today for the first time. He has yet to shut his trap and keeps going on about how much better his bike is than crotch rockets or cruisers because he has the best of both with a Buell.

I'm pretty sure that his Buell is a 1200cc. So the question is, how does a Buell compare to other bikes and am I correct in assuming he could leave me behind in the dust?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice bikes for sure.

I wouldn't own one because replacement parts cost a fortune compared to Jap bikes.

Of course it will be faster than your FZ6 in a straight line but fast riders can actually control their bikes around a curve.... Newbies drag race.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
If it's a 1200 and the "Best of both worlds" then he probably got their XR1200 dual sport deal or their Lightning standard thing.

When Buell started making them in the 90's a lot of his tech was revolutionary, but it isn't so much anymore. Either his ideas worked and were picked up by the big guys (low slung exhaust, short as heck wheelbase), or they didn't and you don't see them anymore (fuel in the frame, backwards brake disks).

As far as if he can leave you in the dust, that's mostly up to the rider. On the one occaision I was actually able to ride in some twisties, I got "dusted" by guys on 250's kinda frequently. I don't get much twisty practice out here. :(

Harley slowly reigned Buell in over the years, so as you get closer to the Buell shutdown the bikes are more like jap bikes and less like Buell bikes. But as far as being better, the FZ6 is a nice "all around" bike that has more of the cruiser comfort than a supersport and still handles almost as well as a supersport. So how is his bike any different from yours? Other than his "motorcycle d***" is bigger. I wouldn't bother. You won't "win" with guys like that. Either deal with his eccentricity and admit his is bigger because he's a good friend otherwise, or tell him to get lost if he isn't.

RedsReboot

Reaction score
Visit site
fast riders can actually control their bikes around a curve.... Newbies drag race.

Unfortunately I still consider myself a newb, but it'd be nice to shut him up already about who has a better bike crap. I'm not about to volunteer myself though. Oh well, I like some of the Buells, but I definitely like the look of my fz6 a lot more than his particularly plain looking bike.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Your FZ6 probably gets 15 miles to the gallon better fuel economy.

Otherwise both bikes are equally versatile and yours is cheaper to maintain and fuel. You win.

Who cares what the other guy has? If you love your FZ6 and have fun with it...who cares? I rode with a guy who rides a 'Busa. It was cool but I was not jealous of him.

dan routhier

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride with all harley guys with my fz and their is no way that a 1200 harley can keep up with the fz,they can get u for the first 50 feet and thats all..i ride with one that has been dyno set up at 100 hp and he can only get me for the first 100 ft and then im gone..the only hd that might have a chance is the v rod..the buells look cool and are built well, but their motor is way to out dated..

philosopheriam

aka: Mr. Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
Eh, Buell's technology is indeed getting old. Moreover, the problem with Buell is that they could never seem to figure out how to design a bike that wasn't butt-ass ugly...

FZ6 wins - cheaper to maintain, better MPG, better looks...

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Paging Hellgate...

The Buell is a POS. Ask him if they are so great how come they are not made anymore?

Ask him what it costs to fill up as he has to run premium vs reg for the 6.

Just wait a few months and you will start to hear about all the problems he will be having.

Buells were never built well, I've yet to meet an owner of one who doesn't make excuses about what is wrong with it.

Ain't no way a 1200 could keep up with a FZ6 in the twisties.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Buell made some great bikes they were light had awesome torque right off idle and great handling. But even if you could convince this guy yours is "bigger" I mean faster what difference does it make. My guess is he would never admit it or show up the next week with a R1.

I'm sure everyone knows this guy is a dumbass.

sjryser

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Let him ride WAY in front! Then turn off and go a different route. When you get back to the office tell him," Dang man we couldn't even keep up with that beast of a machine!":thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Beauty is surely in the eye of the beholder. When I see a bike and talk to someone about it. We might discuss engineering. When I see a bike I see turning engineering into art.

The Buell is surely a different concept in engineering and transcends to a different look artistically. Ugly? I don't know. I see engineering turned into art! Functional? Yes!
The Buell looks and performs with some very sound engineering concepts that have proved very successful for handling and all around performance.

I hear arguments on benchmarks all the time on 10 pounds versus 13 horsepower and when you get the bikes on a track all the benchmark turn to poop because the combination of the engineering is what counts. Even with the same rider!

Pissing contests are one thing. Putting art through it's paces is where everyone wins because that's what riding is all about.

I have a friend with a Buell and I can't catch him in the twisties! Really it gets down to riding...:rockon:

Here's a little more info regarding Buells: Buell 2008 1125R Motorcycle Released

081125R344.jpg

FZ6771

Reaction score
Visit site
I own two 2007 FZ6's and a 2010 Buell XB12xt I really like both bikes the Buell is way more fun to ride and far better when riding 2 up and touring. The FZ6 is better for track days and riding in the city in stop and go traffic. I would Like to have a 2010 Buell XB12r Firebolt for track days . I also got a 2011 H-D XR1200x that looks awesome but my Buell is my favorite between the two . The FZ6 is a great all round bike and cheap to own.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't like Hardly Abelson's,but i do like the Buells,I have had several races on my FZ6 against a my freind who is also an excellent rider,and it was an even race everytime, drag race winner came down to who got the jump,and twisty runs well there was no passing by either of us.this one comes down to rider skill totaly...... except I had the bragging rights of only having HALF the CC's ,and total price !! LOL :BLAA: :rockon: :rockon: