how long reserve fuel can move FZ6

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I only rode into "blinking" reserve once. It sucked! I worried the whole way, about 20 miles, to the nearest gas station. When I see 2 bars I know it is time to get gas.

nedburt

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure they're all a little different, but when my reserve light starts blinking I still have over a gallon of fuel left.

Ryan T

P.P.P.P.P.P
Reaction score
Visit site
Started blinking this morning on my way to work. I came home and then went to the gas station. Total on reserve was 38 miles. I could have went further but no need in taking chances.

I put 4.74 gallons in (wanted to get to an even $12.00). So 5.1 gal tank and I stuffed 4.7 gal in leaving me with .4 gal to spare before fill up.

I try not to do this but I was too lazy yesterday, not to mention getting soaking wet in a terrible down pour. I got home, took my boots off and dumped water all over the garage floor. My son was laughing so hard.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
I've noticed that when I fill up as soon as it started blinking it takes about 3.5 gallons. Just yesterday it ran into reserve but I was running late for my night class so rode to class on reserve. Planned on filling up at the station by the school for the trip home. However my card doesn't read very well and they couldn't get it to work at the gas station, and for some reason couldn't figure out how to type the number in, so I had to ride home on reserve as well. Ended up being 48 miles...I was very worried on the way home to say the least, I was turning the bike off at stoplights and coasting down hills. Filled up first thing this morning and the bike took 4.8 gallons, so I probably could have made it another 5-10 miles before I ran out.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My absolute best fuel figures were 392k's on 18.34 litres :eek: , or 89k's on reserve fuel :D Mind you i was specifically riding for economy :thumbup:

On what bike? Surely not the FZ6?

I've taken 'er to 344kms (just shy of 214mi) and put 18.23L (4.815 US gal) (5.3L/100kms, 18.9km/L or 44.5MPG))

Now, I'm probably heavier than you, but yours seems like incredible economy!

Makes me sorta miss the TDM! (24k/L riding two up over the Cardwell range!)

Now, when I fill up, I take the level in the tank to higher than the bottom of the filler hole (takes a while as it levels out)

So, I don't know how much capacity is left - I think Yamaha rate the tank as holding 19.4 filled to the bottom of the filler neck, so potentially, I could have another 500ml or so!

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: As for the topic of 'how many kms can you go on reserve', I've not tried it past 40kms - so based on a 3.5L reserve, and my mileage of roughtly 18.9km/L means I could potentially get 66kms - but I don't know if the fuel pump can scavenge every last drop, nor do I want to get off and push, so err on the side of caution.

Last edited:

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Humperdinkel, you gave me inspiration!

Drafting behind trucks, skipping 5th in town (4th straight into 6th), being REALLY gentle with the throttle has just netted me my best tank!

WOOT WOOT!

362.4kms for 17.59L! (4.9L/100kms, 20.6kms/L or 48.5 US MPG!)

As such, I could definitely aspire to your 21.37kms/L! (392kms/18.34L)

That has a theoretical 400kms range!

Bike switched to reserve at just over 330kms (usually between 295 and 310)

Also, when filling the tank, I filled it to the bottom of the filler neck, and then filled it to where I usually do, and the difference was 0.55L.

So, with that in mind, you could say the tank has a capacity of 20L(ish), rather than the 19.4L specified.

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: And I reckon I can do better, as the tank already had 120kms on it before I thought I'd try hypermiling!

Last edited:

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
i got 32 miles or 53kms on my reserve before i ran out :(
, thought the engine wouldnt start when i got petrol for it due to being air locked etc, but it started first time :thumbup:

MitchellsFZ6

Truly obsessed with bikes
Reaction score
Visit site
I was riding for nearly 45 miles on my reserve, twos up!

Thank you for a massive reserve tank Yamaha :L
:BLAA:

tlegend

Reaction score
Visit site
when i reach two bars and after removing from center stand, bike does not start up on first try, it usually takes me two or 3 tries and revving throttle to start up.

is it normal?

note reserve fuel light does not flash, and i am at 109miles..

kennedyted

Reaction score
Visit site
reserve fuel? i own a 2007 fz6, is there a switch for the reserve tank or something? ive had it 2 years have not seen one, or are you guys talking low fuel indicator light?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
are you guys talking low fuel indicator light?

There is no reserve switch or tap - when the bottom bar on the fuel guage starts to flash, you are on 'reserve'

A good average expectancy for reserve seems to be 60kms or 35mi, depending on how you ride.

I've never put more than 18.55L fuel into my bike, which really is altogether too close to failure for me - but then again, I always flirt with 18L or so, as that gets me to work for three days. (330kms)

Cheers,
Rick

Last edited: