how is the new fazer600 restricted?

Back2biking

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone i live in ireland.i have provisional licence and i have to get restricted bike.I was wondering how the new fazer 600 is restricted.I have to get 25 kw/33 bhp version.Is it restricted by the ecu?or which way is it done? as i heard the ecu is very expensive to replace if and when u choose to get back to full power .ill log tomorrow to see if ye can help me out thanks.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
never rode it restricted. i started on it unrestricted as first bike. how does the restrictor work? does it cap off your rpm's? if so where does it cap it off?

the fz6 has most of its power showing up in the latter revs. in the lower revs it is quite tame, which will make for a great first bike. it still has ample power for urban situations in lower revs as long as your in the right gear.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Mate,

Depending on who you ask there seems to be two thoughts on this.
One is that the restriction occurs in the twist grip. This fella is from Belfast:

Quote nikijon

Credits: -228 [Donate]

Whenever I bought my FZ6, I had just passed by test. The dealer arranged for a restrictor to be fitted, which they had to order from the manufacturer.

After 6 months, I went back and asked if I could have the restrictor removed. They done this without questions or problems.

The restrictor that was removed was a throttle restrictor and only allowed the throttle to be twisted about a quarter turn. Now that it has been removed, you get full range on the throttle .

They give me the restrictor that was removed and is like a washer with a lug along with another small metal plate.

If yours has the same restrictor, I don't see why the garage can't remove it without any problems.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks

nikijon

The other is that the inlets have blanks in them with smaller openings (a Yamaha main dealer told me this). I think that the throttle seems the most likely.

Scoprhonic has a restricted version and is also in Eire.
PM him as he has looked at getting the restriction removed.
Have a look at this link:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/2959-hi-all-looking-some-advice.html

Welcome to the site.

Nelly

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Could somebody post a definitive answer, as the question has been raised a few times and I do not think we(I) have found the method or methods so that we can answer people.

:thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Could somebody post a definitive answer, as the question has been raised a few times and I do not think we(I) have found the method or methods so that we can answer people.

:thumbup:
Hi M,

I think nikijon's answer is quite definitive. I believe that the dealer who told us about the inlets is incorrect (aka talking out of his ar5e). Unless there are two methods of course?

Nelly

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
From Yahoo

"The restrictor is normally in the carb in the shape of a disc but I'm not sure on ur model might be worth asking at a dealer."

Then a follow-up.

"Just a note of warning to anybody who has an import and goes to remove the tophat restrictor. Make sure you are removing the restrictor, and not the carb spring guide from inside of the carb covers. The spring guide is also like a black upside down tophat and is lightly gluded inside the carb cover. The restrictor I believe slides over this spring guide and is a press fit (not glued)."

This sounds most likely, but it was in relation to an '02 model.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
And more from the R6 site. This sounds likely for the newer Fazers as well.

"The restrictor kits are available in the UK and the rest of Europe with the same type of 2 year restriction.

The kit itself consits of 4 washers that restrict fuel flow and are placed in the carb boots.

Fitting will not affect your warranty.

How the process works is you give FI international a call and they will direct you to a local dealer. The local dealer will want to see your V5 and will take chassis and engine no's and then order the kit. When the kit arrives it takes about 1 hour to fit, and hey presto you have a 33bhp bike with all the legal paperwork.

FI international are in kent, possibly maidstone, but I cant remember exactly, try calling directory enquiries."

Pete

Pete Pete Pete
Reaction score
www.flickr.com
the 33bhp restricter on mine had a throttle stop and washers somewhere, it was noticable when they took the restrictor out (for free I must add) that the throttle went twice the way round compared to when it was restricted.

jimpatt

Reaction score
Visit site
Just in case anyone is curious.....I seem to have found out how the restrction works

On the front / LH side of the bike, just behind the frame you wil see the throttle cable joined to the throttle body.

You will notice a little plate, which blocks the throttle body most of the way.

There are just 2 bolts holding it on. Remove these, remove plate, then replace bolts / get new ones if they are damaged. These are needed to secure the throttle body.

Note: The top bolt is a bit funny - its a little difficult to get to - have to attack at an angle due to frame being in the way. However, for me, this was easy to undo - due to the bottom one being clear - i struggled to undo, as the dealer really tightened up well! destroyed the bolt....

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
never rode it restricted. i started on it unrestricted as first bike. how does the restrictor work? does it cap off your rpm's? if so where does it cap it off?

the fz6 has most of its power showing up in the latter revs. in the lower revs it is quite tame, which will make for a great first bike. it still has ample power for urban situations in lower revs as long as your in the right gear.

We don't have restricted bikes in Canada, that's why you have have never ridden one....LOL:D... Our graduated lic system is different... It has no affect on the vehicle. The rider is restricted to certain riding conditions until he/she gets their full "M" Lic...