How do you hang or lock your helmet?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If someone can, with an 04-06 model, measure the diameter of the round rear sub-frame, back from where it bolts to the main frame and just ahead of the right side pillion peg extension, I'd appreciate it.

It should be an inch (25mm's). Also, is there anything welded to the frame in that area, again, closest to the welded pillion peg extension.

I may bend up some aluminum tomorrow and see what I can come up with, seems like a pretty good spot, inner swingarm fender isn't in the way, easy access....

thanks,

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you mean relieving, not revealing. I suppose you would have to reveal yourself to relieve yourself - either way, I don't want that happening in my helmet. If you really piss someone off, they'll reveal themselves in your brake fluid reservoir.

sorry, quick post and I picked the first "correct" spelling. :spank:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If someone can, with an 04-06 model, measure the diameter of the round rear sub-frame, back from where it bolts to the main frame and just ahead of the right side pillion peg extension, I'd appreciate it.

It should be an inch (25mm's). Also, is there anything welded to the frame in that area, again, closest to the welded pillion peg extension.

I may bend up some aluminum tomorrow and see what I can come up with, seems like a pretty good spot, inner swingarm fender isn't in the way, easy access....

thanks,
I can do it tomorrow Scott, Dark out now and I was just going off to my Labba, S1 rear hanger is welded to frame does this matter?

Neil

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can do it tomorrow Scott, Dark out now and I was just going off to my Labba, S1 rear hanger is welded to frame does this matter?

Neil

Whats welded to the frame in that area? (maybe a picture?).

I pretty much need just over an inch of clean frame (round with nothing in the way) to wrap a bracket over it. Then bolt on a lock which would then, with one bolt, clamp both the bracket and lock around that part of the frame..

Walla, a same keyed as the ignition, standard Yamaha helmet lock on an S1!!!

Thanks Neil, (or anyone else) just when you can would be great!

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in for a helmet lock; how cool!

Will post a pic with a tape measure in it for reference in about an hour or two, unless someone beats me to it.

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I leave my helmet and jacket on the seat of the bike.

If I don't feel safe doing that then I wouldn't even park my bike in that area to begin with.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I will always take my helmet with me. Just because your helmet is locked doesn't mean nothing can happen to it. Here are some of the reasons why I never leave my helmet locked to my bike, they are all real stories from riders that I know who had it happened to them.

1. The obvious, stolen, even had the strapped cut.
2. Bike was discovered tipped over, damaging the helmet.
3. Ice cream cone with melted ice cream discovered inside of the helmet on a hot summer day in Vegas.
4. Shield stolen.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
@TownsendsFJR1300:

Here's a pic of the area, hope this is what you needed. Looks like you have clearance. If it doesn't come through, let me know (posted link to forum album because it seems to come out better).

The hand is not mine but my 7y/o assistant, for reference.

The bar is truly 1". I don't have digital calipers or anything, but snugged an adjustable wrench around the pipe and measured the gap in the wrench with a hard metal rule and it was 1", maybe just a hair inside the marks.

Thinking about it further: not sure if you would have enough commitment/interest to be commercially viable in this particular application, but I'd be willing myself to take on an extra key if it kept the cost down (or helped make it more universal).

Edit: this an '05 (just in case the silver and blue didn't give it away)

picture.php

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
@TownsendsFJR1300:

Here's a pic of the area, hope this is what you needed. Looks like you have clearance. If it doesn't come through, let me know (posted link to forum album because it seems to come out better).

The hand is not mine but my 7y/o assistant, for reference.

The bar is truly 1". I don't have digital calipers or anything, but snugged an adjustable wrench around the pipe and measured the gap in the wrench with a hard metal rule and it was 1", maybe just a hair inside the marks.

Thinking about it further: not sure if you would have enough commitment/interest to be commercially viable in this particular application, but I'd be willing myself to take on an extra key if it kept the cost down (or helped make it more universal).

Edit: this an '05 (just in case the silver and blue didn't give it away)

picture.php

Nope, thats what I need. As long as the frame has NOTHING WELDED/attached to it in that area. If you can confirm this, as noted I need maybe 1.5" of frame for my bracket to fit over and literally clamp over/to..

I can snap some pic's of the bracket/lock on the frame rail of my 07 just so folks can see how it goes. I already checked, it would not be in the way of your legs but you CAN NOT RIDE with the helmet locked to it(it'd be in the way)

BTW, the "Helmet Guardian lock assembly" comes in a two pack (a bit cheaper than the Yamaha assembly, exact same exterior, it would also fit on what I make). HG however comes with TWO different style keys, one can re-keyed to fit you ignition key, the offset on the other is opposite and WILL NOT re-key(so you need to carry another key).

I don't sell the locks. I design and make the bracket. Cost would be roughly $25 shipped. I could do black or frame matching silver, RS only (looking at my bike, there's not enough room for the left side). Once I get a picture of the RS posted, if someone can say other wise, I can flip the pattern and it'd fit the left side, I just need to know if there's room.

*Alot of folks don't want a helmet lock and that's fine. Others (myself included) do. I don't carry helmets around, period. Lock it, throw my gloves in, done. No extra keys, no cables, stock lock like the old bikes all used to have.

Just an FYI, since designing/making brackets ALL Aluminum (since 2004), there's many designs.

#1 is for a BMW K1200,1300,
#2 a newer model BMW RT(clamps around the frame several inch up, begind the plastic cover (PIA to design too)
#3 an 1100 Ducuti monster(BMW lock)
#4 my old 04 FJR left side with TWO BMW style electrical outlets (yamaha lock)
#5 left side Gen II and Gen III FJR (with Yamaha lock)
#6 right side Gen II and gen III FJR " "
#7 right side, Kawasaki Concours 1400

I'll play in the garage today make some templates/fitting...

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, did some designing, trimming and test fitting (on my 07, not an S1). Looking at the provided picture it should fit the S1 without issue however, I need some test fitting/ pictures before being mass produced for the S1 (S2 it fits without issue)

With the picture from FizzySix, I've come up with a bracket that does fit the right side of the S2(see below pictures) using either the Yamaha lock assembly or Helmet Gaurdian. It must bolt on the right (as the inner plastic fender on the sub frame is up against the frame rail).

Made of aluminum, its painted silver metallic to match S1 frames (or can be painted black for S2 models). SS harware and a self locking nut as well as a piece of clear tape (helicopter leading edge tape) is included to protect the frame from any scratching.

Obvously, I do not have any pictures of the assembly on an S1 yet, but hope to soon. I need to print up directions, order form, etc, should there be interest..

Below are pictures of the kit, pictures of the install and installed pictures. It should be noted that when mounted rearward of the pillion foot pegs, the location is about the same as the S2, just on the right side. S2 owners can add a lock to the right side of their bikes as well should they want a second lock for a passenger. It is strongly recommended NOT TO RIDE WITH THE HELMET ATTACHED TO THE ASSEMBLY.

The assembly can also be placed ahead of the pillion peg bracket but it tucks in much nicer behind the pegs(pic #2 and #3). The last picture is with the bracket ahead of pillion pegs, fits fine but doesn't look quite as nice as when it mounted to the rear IMHO. Picture #1 will be the kit, pic's 4 and 5 show how the bracket simply slides over the frame (after the tape is installed on the frame). 15-20 minute install with NO MOD's.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know my new helmet lock bracket fits on the right side of the S2 models (for those that want a second helmet lock). It'll be finished in satin black to match the frame.

I should have access to an S1 very soon to check fitment, take pictures, etc. Instructions, order forms, etc are already made up.

I'll post once I get that S1 here and checked/tested. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Archeon

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine goes in a locked top box, in a locked underground garage, with CCTV and alarms...paranoid much?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just an update, after doing a throttle sync and some other maintainance things on another forum members 06, I was able to try the helmet lock bracket I designed on an his S1 bike (04-06).

No problems going on, fit like a glove, however its not designed to RIDE and have it hang off the side as it'll smack into the swing arm. Its location is literally, just opposite (on the right side vs left) of the factory lock on the S2 bikes) just rearward of the pillion peg mount.

It'll be available in satin black or silver metallic. It fits on the RIGHT SIDE ONLY as well as any other bike/frame with a 1" (25mm)diameter round frame rail.

It should be noted its designed so that when you un-lock the lock, the HOOK stills holds yous helmet and doesn't drop it.

Here's a few pictures on an 06, fits the same as on my 07:

I should have some available soon, still working on some details...

Last edited:

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
My 04 doesn't have one either, I usually hang it on my peg on the right side. I live in a pretty small town and no one has ever messed with my bike. I also don't really ride anywhere that I have to worry about it sitting for long amounts of time. Usually lunch and a drink somewhere. :beer:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Before i had the givi I put a hose clamp around the tubular framing under the seat and folded it back over itself to hook the d ring onto and lock under the seat. I usually brought my helmet with me anyway as i dont like leaving my helmet out even though its secured to my bike. Some pics of the set up

Towel to keep frame from getting scratched. And i filed some groves in the side fairing for the d rings to fit into. Jacket can also be attached at the same time.
Image02172012123353.jpg

Image02172012123440.jpg

I rarely use it anymore, but it has held up for 3 years with absolutely no issues

Yesterday I bought 2 pipe clamps for 99 cents a piece. Put them on the bike, took the hacksaw out and made two notches on each side and now I can hang both my helmets! This is a great one, you can use the existing key, helmets feel secure. I could even ride with one locked this way if I'm on my way to go pick up the lady or something. Thanks so much for this idea!

bertrum

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey that's my bike up there in townsend's post! I saw the lock and it does exactly what he says. And most of all it looks real good. Once again townsend thanks for the help with my bike you really know your stuff btw since the sync my bike feels generally zippier and happier!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey that's my bike up there in townsend's post! I saw the lock and it does exactly what he says. And most of all it looks real good. Once again townsend thanks for the help with my bike you really know your stuff btw since the sync my bike feels generally zippier and happier!

Yes it is Bert, thank you for your help!

Now there's an option to put an actual helmet lock on an S1 (or additional right side on an S2) bike without removing the seat, hacking up the bike, carying extra cables, etc. Simply use your ignition key (once the lock is re-keyed), no more carrying your helmet unless you wish too...

Also, your mileage may increase a little bit with the TB sync. Is it any smoother?

BTW, the bike sounded good as you left with your pipes.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I bought 2 pipe clamps for 99 cents a piece. Put them on the bike, took the hacksaw out and made two notches on each side and now I can hang both my helmets! This is a great one, you can use the existing key, helmets feel secure. I could even ride with one locked this way if I'm on my way to go pick up the lady or something. Thanks so much for this idea!

Great idea, especially for transporting a helmet!:thumbup: