How do you hang or lock your helmet?

yaminator

roll, roll me away
Reaction score
Visit site
What's your preference here? MY 04 fz6 doesn't have a lock or any kind of mechanism and so I rigged up a cable but it's a little funky, I'm wondering if the bike is just a missing this or if anyone has a way they really like.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What's your preference here? MY 04 fz6 doesn't have a lock or any kind of mechanism and so I rigged up a cable but it's a little funky, I'm wondering if the bike is just a missing this or if anyone has a way they really like.
I am in the same boat as you with my 05. I used to use an alarmed Oxford lock through the DD ring (of the helmet) and under the head stock.
My current lid Caberg Zonda has the ratchet style locking system so I end up carrying the lid with me.

Neil

Last edited:

CNY Fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a standard pad lock through the DD rings and the small triangle opening by the rear footrest. The helmet is hung on the extended rear footrest. :D

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
I dont leave my gear on my bike....I dont trust people. However my bro uses a bike lock, and runs that through his jacket and helmet to lock to the back of the bike. He keeps it attached to the passenger handles.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '07, and use the integral helmet lock, although my EXO-1000 has the D-rings sewn very close to the edge of the helmet, and it took some experimenting to learn how to hold the helmet to get the lock through the D-rings.
Now, I have a different problem. I finally replaced my '08 EXO with a Schuberth helmet, which features a ratcheting chinstrap; very quick attachment, very quick release, but no D-rings for a standard helmet lock. :(

I finally purchase a $6 MasterLock with plastic-covered cables, 18" long:

31DzK7kxbyL._AA160_.jpg

...but, like long-sleeved shirts, garden hoses and extension cords, it'd been perfect had it been 2" longer... :disapprove: I'm wrapping the cable around the chinbar of my new lid, it works; but again, 2" more would've been perfect.

(where have I heard that before?) :rolleyes:

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '05. As near as I can tell it comes down to:

Nothing, hang it where you can. Downside: you are a very trusting soul, especially of the wicked imp called "gravity".

Cables and locks. Downside: PITA when in use...and when not in use...pretty much all the time...every time...and no defense against malicious people jealous of your bike...or rain...or seagulls/pigeons. Use your imagination here. The universe sometimes uses its imagination too, usually when you do not.

Topcases. Downside: you want me to put *what* on my bike?!?!? Where are we, outside the US? Where people use their bikes for practical transportation to carry themselves *and* their stuff? Sheesh... <-- please take that in the good humor with which it was intended, no matter where you call home.

Carry it. Nothing makes a statement like using your helmet as a carry-basket in a grocery store. That statement? Up to you and what you put in the helmet. ;)

There may be aftermarket locks too but I don't find a link at the moment.

Being light-hearted here in my response, but really, that's pretty much the size of it. If you found something you like: you're doing great! Cables work :rockon:

Personally, I carry it, but am soon investing in a hard topcase.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Before i had the givi I put a hose clamp around the tubular framing under the seat and folded it back over itself to hook the d ring onto and lock under the seat. I usually brought my helmet with me anyway as i dont like leaving my helmet out even though its secured to my bike. Some pics of the set up

Towel to keep frame from getting scratched. And i filed some groves in the side fairing for the d rings to fit into. Jacket can also be attached at the same time.
Image02172012123353.jpg

Image02172012123440.jpg

I rarely use it anymore, but it has held up for 3 years with absolutely no issues

Last edited:

yaminator

roll, roll me away
Reaction score
Visit site
I appreciate the experiences and responses in these posts. Some creative ways to deal with the times that I can't easily carry the lid around, like when I've got a lot of walking/hiking or carrying stuff. Strange, I often see tricked out $800 lids just sitting on the tank of parked bikes next to me, no wires. (I always hope those dudes are nearby, sitting with an eye on the bike). They may never have an issue, but hey life's a gamble especially here in LA. I'll keep the odds in my favor, and either secure it or carry.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Carry it. Nothing makes a statement like using your helmet as a carry-basket in a grocery store. That statement? Up to you and what you put in the helmet. ;)
sometimes if I am just parking and running into the super , I'll just lock the bike, no disc lock, carry the lid while I fit in a few stubbies, transfer them to the back pack at the register and the lid is on again by the time I'm back at the bike ready to roll.
the lid comes with me into work and has a beautiful laminated timber shelf at home (made purposefully by my missus, to take both our helmets). on the bike for longer periods its on the built in lock ('09) or on a helmetlok
Rocky Creek Designs
sitting on the tank attached to the bars. This works when the bike is in a heavy pedestrian area, or rallys etc. but if it were to be parked after dark, the lid comes with me.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Sometimes I'll just secure the DD ring chinstrap around the subframe where the passenger peg sticks out - hang it there. It takes me 2 minutes to undo it and I know how I did it, so I doubt anyone will be able to make off quickly with it. My lids are both <$200, so I'm not too afraid of it, and if it's somewhere that I don't trust - I'll take the helmet with me. I've sometimes used a small (very thin) cable lock, but if someone wants my gear, it would be pretty easy for them to take it, regardless of the security method I choose.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
When I started riding I got an expensive helmet and never knew what to do with it. Most of the time I was close to my bike so I hung it on the bike without locks. Then I got it stolen so I started using locks. That worked till one day I put the lock on backwards. It sounds strange but I wasn't able to take the lock off (it's still on the bike) and I ended up cutting the D-Ring off so I could ride home. :spank:

I did the mod with the pipe clamp and it works pretty well. I still don't like leaving my helmet with my bike if I'm going to be away for an extended time or if the bike isn't in sight of where I will be.

I've heard rumors of people revealing themselves in helmets that are hanging off a bike, I kinda wonder if these are true or just a story to scare people. I figure you'd have to really tick someone off to have that done to you, or just be at the wrong place at the wrong time... IDK :confused:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard rumors of people revealing themselves in helmets that are hanging off a bike, I kinda wonder if these are true or just a story to scare people. I figure you'd have to really tick someone off to have that done to you, or just be at the wrong place at the wrong time... IDK :confused:

I think you mean relieving, not revealing. I suppose you would have to reveal yourself to relieve yourself - either way, I don't want that happening in my helmet. If you really piss someone off, they'll reveal themselves in your brake fluid reservoir.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't the S1 model (04-06) have a helmet lock (uses ignition key) on the left side just below the seat?

For my 07 (picture #1), I added a Yamaha lock assembly to the right side so I now have two(for a pillion).

Picture #2 is a Genuine Yamaha lock cylinder (part # 26H-21308-01-00 ) and is re-keyable to your ignition key. The lock assembly is used on a helmet lock bracket I designed for ALL FJRs.

Picture #6 is for the 2006-2013 FJR with my bracket/lock assembly on it with an optional, BMW style, electrical outlet installed).

If the S1 was does NOT have any locking tab to mount a lock assembly to, if there's interest, I can make up a frame clamping model (which I already make for BMW's-uses a BMW lock).

Pictures 3, 4 and 5 are for a BMW, round frame (just larger than the FZ6), GS1200 and 1300. Picture #4 is for a right and left side, same bike.

You want the bracket situated so that when the lock opens, the HOOK, holds the "D" ring and keeps from dropping the helmet.

I would just have to change the frame size to fit the FZ6 and lock pattern to fit the Yamaha lock.

Some other BMW lock assemblies I designed and sell thru Pirates lair: The Easy Helmet Lock for the BMW K1300S, K1200S, K1300R, K1200R, & R Sport Any of his 'EASY HELMET LOCKS" are my design which I manufacture.

BTW, for Nolan helmets with NO "D" rings, the "T" shaped helmet lock extension, can be slipped into the strap and then used with a regular helmet lock.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't the S1 model (04-06) have a helmet lock (uses ignition key) on the left side just below the seat?

For my 07 (picture #1), I added a Yamaha lock assembly to the right side so I now have two(for a pillion).

Picture #2 is a Genuine Yamaha lock cylinder (part # 26H-21308-01-00 ) and is re-keyable to your ignition key.

If the S1 was does NOT have any locking tab to mount a lock assembly to, if there's interest, I can make up a frame clamping model (which I already make for BMW's-uses a BMW lock).

Pictures 3, 4 and 5 are for a BMW, round frame(just larger thhan the FZ6), GS1200 and 1300. Picture #4 is for a right and left side, same bike. You want the bracket situated so that when the lock opens, the HOOK, holds the "D" ring and keeps from dropping the helmet.

I would just have to change the frame size to fit the FZ6 and lock pattern to fit the Yamaha lock.

Some other BMW lock assemblies I designed and sell thru Pirates lair: The Easy Helmet Lock for the BMW K1300S, K1200S, K1300R, K1200R, & R Sport Any of his 'EASY HELMET LOCKS" are my design which I manufacture.

BTW, for Nolan helmets with NO "D" rings, the "T" shaped helmet lock extension, can be slipped into the strap and then used with a regular helmet lock.
I was wondering if you would go into production here. As stated I have the pesky ratchet system so don't need a lock yet. Thanks for the offer.

Nelly