How do you acknowledge other riders?

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I give a big left thumb up to every rider I see, even on scooters. I'm sure I'm not the only person doing the thumb up but it's still relatively original. When I started maybe 50% waved back, but since I commute and see the same people every day they all pretty much wave now. It's nice, I feel like I've converted folks...

* On real turns I give a head not instead of a wave but on my normal commute I don't have to worry about this.

pooty

Reaction score
Visit site
i wave at all. even the hardley boys i just dont look to see if they wave back.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
I have seen this before and thought it was funny as well.

I just give the usual left handed wave. But I don`t wave on motorways.

Steve

My friend's uncle is an oldhead rider and taught us the oldschool waves from back in the day. Although I'm sure most riders don't understand them, I try to use them anyway.

-Pointing with 1 finger at a slight downward angle means heads up, your going to pass a cop.
-Two fingers (like the peace sign) at a downward angle means whats up, everythings all good. And
-Three fingers downward at the ground means watch the heck out, there's either traffic, or some sort of obstruction in the road your going to come across.

I've never seen the pat on the head, but if I do, i guess i know what it means now. Those are generally the ones i use, my every day whats up wave is the peace sign at the ground, two fingers at a downward angle.

Hope this helps some of you.

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
**a pat on the head means you/they just passed a cop who's lookin for people!

A cager saved me one time by flashing brights at me to warn me of a cop up ahead. Since then I've wondered how another bike would have been able to warn another.

-Pointing with 1 finger at a slight downward angle means heads up, your going to pass a cop.
-Two fingers (like the peace sign) at a downward angle means whats up, everythings all good. And
-Three fingers downward at the ground means watch the heck out, there's either traffic, or some sort of obstruction in the road your going to come across.

This sounds ineffective to me. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm usually busy focusing on my own driving to count fingers on someone on the other side of the road.

it almost looks like the other rider just keeps going...... I would almost put money on object fixation...

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After many unreturned waves, I've stopped initiating to HD bikers and anyone not wearing a helmet. If they wave to me, I wave back though.

I'll even wave to scooters IF they're wearing a helmet. But since helmets aren't Law here in Illinois, I've noticed that less than a third of people wear one. :disapprove: